    Not too sure whether SQLDMO access would be enabled on the server either,
    forcing me in this case to hard-code the table schema in my backup scripts.

    Any advice? Would you guys go for SQL Server without EE?
    infoplease, Apr 4, 2005

  2. infoplease

    thing Guest

    infoplease wrote:
    > Do you guys know which proportion of hosting plans featuring SQL Server let
    > customers manipulate their database through Enterprise Manager?
    >
    > It is rarely (almost never) specified on the web sites. Intellihost does
    > advertise it but that's all. Webdrive seems to be nice but doesn't provide
    > Enterprise Manager access :-(
    >
    > I am a little bit reluctant subscribing to a plan and not being able to use
    > Enterprise Manager. I want to have the possibility to manage backups
    > myself - I want to keep an history of the web site development - and without
    > EE I'd need to write scripts to handle all of that myself.
    > Not too sure whether SQLDMO access would be enabled on the server either,
    > forcing me in this case to hard-code the table schema in my backup scripts.
    >
    > Any advice? Would you guys go for SQL Server without EE?

    It almsot suggests you need to run your own server at an ISP.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Apr 5, 2005

  3. infoplease

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 09:40:30 +1200, infoplease wrote:

    > Any advice? Would you guys go for SQL Server without EE?

    Nope, I'd use a LAMP solution.

    Steve
    Steve, Apr 5, 2005
  4. infoplease

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <4251b3d3$>,
    says...
    > Do you guys know which proportion of hosting plans featuring SQL Server let
    > customers manipulate their database through Enterprise Manager?
    >
    > It is rarely (almost never) specified on the web sites. Intellihost does
    > advertise it but that's all. Webdrive seems to be nice but doesn't provide
    > Enterprise Manager access :-(
    >
    > I am a little bit reluctant subscribing to a plan and not being able to use
    > Enterprise Manager. I want to have the possibility to manage backups
    > myself - I want to keep an history of the web site development - and without
    > EE I'd need to write scripts to handle all of that myself.
    > Not too sure whether SQLDMO access would be enabled on the server either,
    > forcing me in this case to hard-code the table schema in my backup scripts.
    >
    > Any advice? Would you guys go for SQL Server without EE?

    Sites like MaximumASP will give you "console" access to SQL Server (not
    sure if it's EM itself). Why do you need EM access??? (surely you can
    do what you need with sprocs?

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Apr 5, 2005