Web Gallery Software

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Warren, Aug 9, 2010.

  1. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
    several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.

    These are the main things I'm after:

    1/ Usable on my own web site.

    2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in existence.

    3/ Low cost.

    4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
    needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can control
    her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.

    5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one is
    non-negotiable.

    6/ Fast.

    7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.

    8/ Configurable themes and colours.

    9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.

    The closest I've found so far is FotoPlayer http://www.fotoplayer.com/
    and have set up a test gallery to play with it:

    http://mike-warren.net/test

    It doesn't meet condition 2 above as it appears to rely on JAlbum. It's
    also slow, like all Flash based galleries, but it seems to me that Flash
    is active on more systems than JavaScript now days, and people mostly have
    fast enough connections that this is not as important as it once was.

    I have seen some commercial photographer sites that look very nice for
    me, but I suspect that they were custom made as there are no links to
    the software used.

    Photography is only a hobby for my wife and I, and I do not want to spend
    a lot of time creating and configuring our web galleries.

    So much so that I haven't updated our main galleries since 2005. :)

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 9, 2010

  2. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    Mike Warren wrote:

    >I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for

    Brought to you by the department of redundancy department. :)

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 9, 2010

  3. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    >Here is an HTML gallery built with Lightroom. It could also be done with
    >Bridge.
    >
    >Since this was not for serious publication, I kept it simple. It could be
    >easily polished with links and other text added and it can be imbedded
    >into a web site if needed.
    >< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/WFT_201005w/index.html >

    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that does not appear to meet any
    of my requirements. :)

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 9, 2010
  4. Mike Warren

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 02:43:54 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Warren"
    <> wrote:

    >I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
    >several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.
    >
    >These are the main things I'm after:
    >
    >1/ Usable on my own web site.
    >
    >2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in existence.
    >
    >3/ Low cost.
    >
    >4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
    > needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can control
    > her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.
    >
    >5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one is
    > non-negotiable.
    >
    >6/ Fast.
    >
    >7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.
    >
    >8/ Configurable themes and colours.
    >
    >9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.
    >
    >The closest I've found so far is FotoPlayer http://www.fotoplayer.com/
    >and have set up a test gallery to play with it:
    >
    >http://mike-warren.net/test
    >
    >It doesn't meet condition 2 above as it appears to rely on JAlbum. It's
    >also slow, like all Flash based galleries, but it seems to me that Flash
    >is active on more systems than JavaScript now days, and people mostly have
    >fast enough connections that this is not as important as it once was.
    >
    >I have seen some commercial photographer sites that look very nice for
    >me, but I suspect that they were custom made as there are no links to
    >the software used.
    >
    >Photography is only a hobby for my wife and I, and I do not want to spend
    >a lot of time creating and configuring our web galleries.
    >
    >So much so that I haven't updated our main galleries since 2005. :)

    To narrow down your requirements, have you considered replacing your
    current wife with one that is more computer savvy?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 9, 2010
  5. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    Mike Warren, Aug 9, 2010
  6. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    tony cooper wrote:

    >To narrow down your requirements, have you considered replacing your
    >current wife with one that is more computer savvy?

    LOL! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 9, 2010
  7. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    Russell D. wrote:

    >Here's a big FWIW and maybe you don't care, but I usually don't spend
    >much time on Flash sites. My hope is that HTML 5 will mean the demise of
    >Flash.
    >
    >YMMV,

    I agree to a large extent, but find it less of a problem in recent years
    with fast broadband. Unless I have a particular need to see a site, it
    has about 7 seconds to show itself or I've moved on. :)

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 9, 2010
  8. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    N wrote:

    >Do you intend to host the site yourself or have it hosted on a commercial
    >server?

    It's a hosted server with ixwebhosting.com.

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 9, 2010
  9. On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 02:43:54 +0000, Mike Warren wrote:

    > I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
    > several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.
    >
    > These are the main things I'm after:
    >
    > 1/ Usable on my own web site.
    >
    > 2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in
    > existence.
    >
    > 3/ Low cost.
    >
    > 4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
    > needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can
    > control her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.
    >
    > 5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one
    > is non-negotiable.
    >
    > 6/ Fast.
    >
    > 7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.
    >
    > 8/ Configurable themes and colours.
    >
    > 9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.

    Gallery2 seems to meet all your requirements. Dynamic resizing is not
    available on all themes, though. But if you're not as (un)skilled as your
    wife, there's nothing that stops you from copying the required code to
    your favorite theme.

    http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Download

    --
    Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

    Robert Spanjaard, Aug 9, 2010
  10. On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 13:07:42 +0200, Robert Spanjaard wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 02:43:54 +0000, Mike Warren wrote:
    >
    >> I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
    >> several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.
    >>
    >> These are the main things I'm after:
    >>
    >> 1/ Usable on my own web site.
    >>
    >> 2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in
    >> existence.
    >>
    >> 3/ Low cost.
    >>
    >> 4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
    >> needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can
    >> control her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.
    >>
    >> 5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one
    >> is non-negotiable.
    >>
    >> 6/ Fast.
    >>
    >> 7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.
    >>
    >> 8/ Configurable themes and colours.
    >>
    >> 9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.

    > Gallery2 seems to meet all your requirements. Dynamic resizing is not
    > available on all themes, though. But if you're not as (un)skilled as
    > your wife, there's nothing that stops you from copying the required code
    > to your favorite theme.
    >
    > http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Download

    And you might want to check your hoster's options before installing it
    yourself. I see that ixwebhosting.com does support "Photo Galleries", but
    it doesn't list which ones. My hoster (<http://www.flexwebhosting.com>,
    the site is in Dutch only) has Gallery2 pre-installed, so all I needed to
    do was tick a checkbox to put it on my site.

    http://www.flexwebhosting.nl/index.php/cst/?id=13

    --
    Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

    Robert Spanjaard, Aug 9, 2010
  11. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    Robert Spanjaard wrote:

    >>Gallery2 seems to meet all your requirements. Dynamic resizing is not
    >>available on all themes, though. But if you're not as (un)skilled as
    >>your wife, there's nothing that stops you from copying the required code
    >>to your favorite theme.
    >>
    >>http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Download

    >And you might want to check your hoster's options before installing it
    >yourself. I see that ixwebhosting.com does support "Photo Galleries", but
    >it doesn't list which ones. My hoster (<http://www.flexwebhosting.com>,
    >the site is in Dutch only) has Gallery2 pre-installed, so all I needed to
    >do was tick a checkbox to put it on my site.
    >
    >http://www.flexwebhosting.nl/index.php/cst/?id=13

    I've had both Gallery and Gallery2 working on my site. I must have missed
    the auto sizing themes on G2. I don't remember if there was anything else
    I didn't like about G2, so I'll revisit it.

    Thanks.

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 9, 2010
  12. On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 11:27:36 +0000, Mike Warren wrote:

    > Robert Spanjaard wrote:
    >
    >>>Gallery2 seems to meet all your requirements. Dynamic resizing is not
    >>>available on all themes, though. But if you're not as (un)skilled as
    >>>your wife, there's nothing that stops you from copying the required
    >>>code to your favorite theme.
    >>>
    >>>http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Download

    >>And you might want to check your hoster's options before installing it
    >>yourself. I see that ixwebhosting.com does support "Photo Galleries",
    >>but it doesn't list which ones. My hoster
    >>(<http://www.flexwebhosting.com>, the site is in Dutch only) has
    >>Gallery2 pre-installed, so all I needed to do was tick a checkbox to put
    >>it on my site.
    >>
    >>http://www.flexwebhosting.nl/index.php/cst/?id=13

    > I've had both Gallery and Gallery2 working on my site. I must have
    > missed the auto sizing themes on G2. I don't remember if there was
    > anything else I didn't like about G2, so I'll revisit it.

    I know for sure that the Hybrid theme supports it, as I just tried it in
    the demo on their site.

    http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Themes:hybrid

    --
    Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

    Robert Spanjaard, Aug 9, 2010
  13. Mike Warren

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 08 Aug 2010 in rec.photo.digital, Mike Warren wrote:

    > I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
    > several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.
    >
    > These are the main things I'm after:

    .... etc

    You're on an Apache server, so you probably have PHP available. Two PHP
    photo galleries are Singapore (http://www.sgal.org/) and Coppermine
    (http://coppermine-gallery.net/). They both require a little setup,
    though not much, and should offer most if not all of your requirements,
    including that they're both GPLed*.

    Otherwise do a web search for 'php photo gallery'.

    * http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

    Joe Makowiec, Aug 9, 2010
  14. Mike Warren

    M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    "Mike Warren" <> wrote:

    > I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
    > several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.

    Photoshop Elements does a pretty good job.

    --
    m-m
    http://www.mhmyers.com

    M-M, Aug 9, 2010
  15. Mike Warren

    Dave Cohen Guest

    On 8/8/2010 11:40 PM, Mike Warren wrote:
    > tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >> To narrow down your requirements, have you considered replacing your
    >> current wife with one that is more computer savvy?

    > LOL! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

    If that gorgeous looking gal is your wife, and the guy with the beard is
    you, be careful who replaces what.
    Seriously, I can't help with software suggestions, but I did enjoy
    browsing your site, you have some nice pics there. Good luck with your
    search.

    Dave Cohen, Aug 9, 2010
  16. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:

    >On 8/8/2010 11:40 PM, Mike Warren wrote:
    >>tony cooper wrote:
    >>
    >>>To narrow down your requirements, have you considered replacing your
    >>>current wife with one that is more computer savvy?

    >>LOL! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
    >>

    >If that gorgeous looking gal is your wife, and the guy with the beard is
    >you, be careful who replaces what.

    No. There are no pictures of me or my wife on my web site.

    >Seriously, I can't help with software suggestions, but I did enjoy
    >browsing your site, you have some nice pics there. Good luck with your
    >search.

    Thanks. :)

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 10, 2010
  17. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    Robert Spanjaard wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 11:27:36 +0000, Mike Warren wrote:
    >
    >>I've had both Gallery and Gallery2 working on my site. I must have
    >>missed the auto sizing themes on G2. I don't remember if there was
    >>anything else I didn't like about G2, so I'll revisit it.

    >I know for sure that the Hybrid theme supports it, as I just tried it in
    >the demo on their site.
    >
    >http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Themes:hybrid

    Looking at the demos I find the layout of most of the themes either too
    cluttered or too stark, but it may be possible to configure it to my liking.

    I also notice that the resizing only reduces. there is no enlargement.

    I will, however, reinstall it on my site and have another play.

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 10, 2010
  18. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    Joe Makowiec wrote:

    >On 08 Aug 2010 in rec.photo.digital, Mike Warren wrote:
    >
    >>I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
    >>several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.
    >>
    >>These are the main things I'm after:

    >... etc
    >
    >You're on an Apache server, so you probably have PHP available. Two PHP
    >photo galleries are Singapore (http://www.sgal.org/) and Coppermine
    >(http://coppermine-gallery.net/). They both require a little setup,
    >though not much, and should offer most if not all of your requirements,
    >including that they're both GPLed*.

    Thanks.

    Yes, I have PHP.

    I'm pretty sure I've tried both of those and they don't automatically
    resize to the browser window.

    >Otherwise do a web search for 'php photo gallery'.

    Will do. The purpose of this post was to try and get recommendations.

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 10, 2010
  19. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    M-M wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "Mike Warren" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
    >>several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.

    >Photoshop Elements does a pretty good job.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Unless I'm missing something, it's pretty limited and doesn't support
    auto resizing.

    My wife purchased Elements about 2 or 3 years ago. Version 6 or 7,
    I think. She didn't like it and now uses Nikon Capture NX2 for editing.

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 10, 2010
  20. Mike Warren

    Mike Warren Guest

    Better Info wrote:

    >I don't know if the Gallery2 folks changed things or not, but you had to
    >have "safe mode" disabled on your server in order to get it to work. Some
    >hosts won't allow this.

    I don't remember the details, but I have had it running in the past, so
    my host must support it. I just don't remember the reason I finally
    rejected it.

    Unfortunately, the galleries I like the look of best are all flash based,
    which will reduce the compatibility with some people's setups.

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 10, 2010