    Cheers

    Squirrel

    I'm only scarey cos I'm hairy
    Squirrel, Jun 19, 2005

  2. Squirrel

    BTMO Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote

    > Just purchased Genius webcam, loaded all software and fiddled with cam
    > settings on msn but cannot get anything better than staticy green
    > background and rough image, any pointers on this set up, again I know
    > I am thick so please refrain from replying with the same

    Have you got enough light? They can be a little touchy if you are in too
    dark an environment...
    BTMO, Jun 19, 2005

  3. Squirrel

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > Just purchased Genius webcam, loaded all software and fiddled with cam
    > settings on msn but cannot get anything better than staticy green
    > background and rough image, any pointers on this set up, again I know
    > I am thick so please refrain from replying with the same
    >
    > Cheers

    Check for setting called "full auto mode" if selected disable and select the
    lighting (white) mode (if using at night)
    Craig Sutton, Jun 19, 2005
  4. Squirrel

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:43:17 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

    > Just purchased Genius webcam, loaded all software and fiddled with cam
    > settings on msn but cannot get anything better than staticy green
    > background and rough image, any pointers on this set up, again I know
    > I am thick so please refrain from replying with the same

    I have the same cam.

    These cam's have to be well lit, and they do not like flourescent lighting
    (they give things a green tint). You will often need a small desk lamp
    going to light the subject (you) enough for the cam.

    The staticy bit is likly the gain turned up too high. Turn the brightness
    down. Also try the gamma.

    See if they have newer drivers on their web site. Mine did, helped a lot.

    I was able to leave most things on their default setting, maybe just
    fiddled with the gamma. Most benefit came from a small desk lamp with an
    incandescent bulb in it.

    And: you will not get a lot better with another brand. All the CMOS cam's
    are like this - some slightly better, some a lot worse. People have been
    known to buy a capture card and hook their camcorder into it to get around
    it. Overkill though.

    --

    .... Brendan

    462310 +(3865)- [X]

    < robT> Name ONE thing that your windows comp can do that my MAC cant
    < bawss> Right click.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 20/06/2005 3:29:05 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jun 19, 2005
  5. Squirrel

    Phstpok Guest

    Lol.

    At least you got your cams going, even if only after a fashion.

    I bought a Avermedia cam off Trademe. Brand new, so should be ok.
    Software on disc up to w2k only. No prob, d/l xp drivers from their website.

    Install, about 90% bsod.

    Turns out my onboard video (Savage pro 32mb) has a bug (sent error
    report to MS). Now I have to buy another video card if I want to run my
    $10 webcam. (Tried my brother's cam, can't remember model, same bsod.)

    Rob
    Phstpok, Jun 20, 2005
  6. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:54:42 +1200, "BTMO" <> wrote:

    >"Squirrel" <> wrote
    >
    >> Just purchased Genius webcam, loaded all software and fiddled with cam
    >> settings on msn but cannot get anything better than staticy green
    >> background and rough image, any pointers on this set up, again I know
    >> I am thick so please refrain from replying with the same

    >Have you got enough light? They can be a little touchy if you are in too
    >dark an environment...

    Average lightbulb in room

    Squirrel

    I'm only scarey cos I'm hairy
    Squirrel, Jun 20, 2005
  7. Squirrel

    Richard Guest

    Squirrel wrote:

    > Average lightbulb in room
    >
    > Squirrel

    Far too dim.

    If a digital still camera would have to use its flash, then you are too dark for
    a cheap USB video camera
    Richard, Jun 20, 2005