    concerned. Another annoying site feature is they require a phone
    number but will accept numbers between 6 and 10 digits only so it is
    impossible to enter a '+' international number string.

    peterwn, Jan 17, 2013

  2. peterwn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs peterwn wrote:
    > Web browsers have a predictive text feature to help type data into
    > fields. However it appears that the server can somehow block the
    > predictive text feature eg when credit card numbers are being entered.
    > Anyone knows what the blocking mechanism is? My concern is when you
    > enter a credit card number on a certain Aussie web site, the card
    > number is saved in the predictive data in my browser. This is of
    > course highly undesirable and I wish to take it up with the company
    > concerned. Another annoying site feature is they require a phone
    > number but will accept numbers between 6 and 10 digits only so it is
    > impossible to enter a '+' international number string.

    I'm sure that you know but, for international numbers the '+' can be
    replaced with '00'.

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Jan 18, 2013

  3. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 18, 3:36 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs peterwn wrote:
    >
    > > Web browsers have a predictive text feature to help type data into
    > > fields. However it appears that the server can somehow block the
    > > predictive text feature eg when credit card numbers are being entered.
    > > Anyone knows what the blocking mechanism is? My concern is when you
    > > enter a credit card number on a certain Aussie web site, the card
    > > number is saved in the predictive data in my browser. This is of
    > > course highly undesirable and I wish to take it up with the company
    > > concerned. Another annoying site feature is they require a phone
    > > number but will accept numbers between 6 and 10 digits only so it is
    > > impossible to enter a '+' international number string.

    > I'm sure that you know but, for international numbers the '+' can be
    > replaced with '00'.

    Not in Oz, USA, etc. AFAIK you should enter cell phone numbers into
    cell phone lists in the '+' format including '+64' for local NZ
    numbers so they dial correctly when roaming.

    peterwn, Jan 18, 2013
  4. peterwn

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-01-17, peterwn <> wrote:
    > Web browsers have a predictive text feature to help type data into
    > fields. However it appears that the server can somehow block the
    > predictive text feature eg when credit card numbers are being entered.
    > Anyone knows what the blocking mechanism is? My concern is when you
    > enter a credit card number on a certain Aussie web site, the card
    > number is saved in the predictive data in my browser. This is of
    > course highly undesirable and I wish to take it up with the company
    > concerned. Another annoying site feature is they require a phone
    > number but will accept numbers between 6 and 10 digits only so it is
    > impossible to enter a '+' international number string.

    What is wrong with naming the site?

    Predictive text, cookies, etc yes?

    Which web browser?

    Firefox with Better Privacy seems to forget a great deal when closed down.

    Gordon, Jan 18, 2013
  5. peterwn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs peterwn wrote:
    > On Jan 18, 3:36 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs peterwn wrote:
    >>
    >>> Web browsers have a predictive text feature to help type data into
    >>> fields. However it appears that the server can somehow block the
    >>> predictive text feature eg when credit card numbers are being
    >>> entered. Anyone knows what the blocking mechanism is? My concern is
    >>> when you enter a credit card number on a certain Aussie web site,
    >>> the card number is saved in the predictive data in my browser. This
    >>> is of course highly undesirable and I wish to take it up with the
    >>> company concerned. Another annoying site feature is they require a
    >>> phone number but will accept numbers between 6 and 10 digits only
    >>> so it is impossible to enter a '+' international number string.

    >> I'm sure that you know but, for international numbers the '+' can be
    >> replaced with '00'.
    >>

    > Not in Oz, USA, etc. AFAIK you should enter cell phone numbers into
    > cell phone lists in the '+' format including '+64' for local NZ
    > numbers so they dial correctly when roaming.

    Well, The International Telecommunications Union (ITU) recommends 00 as the
    general standard for an international call prefix. I can't help it if other
    countries choose to ignore that recommendation. ;)

    As we used to say when I was younger; 'You can always tell an Aussie - but
    you can't tell him much.' Also we know that the US wants to rule the world
    so they're bound to do things their own way. ;)

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2013
  6. peterwn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs peterwn wrote:
    >>> Web browsers have a predictive text feature to help type data into
    >>> fields. However it appears that the server can somehow block the
    >>> predictive text feature eg when credit card numbers are being
    >>> entered. Anyone knows what the blocking mechanism is? My concern is
    >>> when you enter a credit card number on a certain Aussie web site,
    >>> the card number is saved in the predictive data in my browser. This
    >>> is of course highly undesirable and I wish to take it up with the
    >>> company concerned. Another annoying site feature is they require a
    >>> phone number but will accept numbers between 6 and 10 digits only
    >>> so it is impossible to enter a '+' international number string.

    >> I'm sure that you know but, for international numbers the '+' can be
    >> replaced with '00'.

    > The "+" signifies the prefix required for IDD. It is "00" in New
    > Zealand, but there are many other permutations in other countries.

    Geoff, see my reply to peterwn. :)

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2013