Web browser stats

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by History Fan, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    History Fan, Jul 28, 2006

  2. History Fan

    Stubby Guest

    Stubby, Jul 29, 2006

  3. History Fan

    fake-name Guest

    Stubby wrote:
    > Do the stats account for the fact that most machines are sold with MSIE
    > installed but the owner subsequently switched to Mozilla?
    >
    > History Fan wrote:
    >> Sorry if this URL has already been posted, but it's quite
    >> interesting:
    >>
    >> http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox44-mozilla-firefox-has-slightly-increased.html

    er... as I understand it -
    these stats record the browser *used*
    when visiting websites monitored by webstat ?

    so whether IE is on the box or not is irrelevant,
    unless the user is using it to visit the monitored sites.

    unless I'm mistaken ?

    a more interesting question ( to me at least ) would be:

    of all those registered as "IE", how many are
    not IE, but using some "I am IE" agent string
    to access IE-only websites ?

    for example - doesn't Opera identify itself as IE by default ?
    fake-name, Jul 29, 2006
  4. History Fan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    fake-name wrote:
    > Stubby wrote:
    >> Do the stats account for the fact that most machines are sold with
    >> MSIE installed but the owner subsequently switched to Mozilla?
    >>
    >> History Fan wrote:
    >>> Sorry if this URL has already been posted, but it's quite
    >>> interesting:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox44-mozilla-firefox-has-slightly-increased.html
    >>>

    > er... as I understand it -
    > these stats record the browser *used*
    > when visiting websites monitored by webstat ?

    Correct.

    > so whether IE is on the box or not is irrelevant,
    > unless the user is using it to visit the monitored sites.

    Yep.

    > unless I'm mistaken ?

    You're not. ;-)

    > a more interesting question ( to me at least ) would be:
    >
    > of all those registered as "IE", how many are
    > not IE, but using some "I am IE" agent string
    > to access IE-only websites ?

    Somewhat possible to know, depending on the User Agent string someone is
    using to "spoof" their browser's identity.
    http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=570

    > for example - doesn't Opera identify itself as IE by default ?

    Yes. But see above.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net