Web browser flaw prompts warning (June 26)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Pepperoni, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. Pepperoni

    Pepperoni Guest

    Users are being told to avoid using Internet Explorer until Microsoft
    patches a serious security hole in it.
    The loophole is being exploited to open a backdoor on a PC that could let
    criminals take control of a machine.

    The threat of infection is so high because the code created to exploit the
    loophole has somehow been placed on many popular websites.

    Experts say the list of compromised sites involves banks, auction and price
    comparison firms and is growing fast.

    Serious problem

    The net watchdog, the US Computer Emergency Reponse Center (Cert), and the
    net security monitor, the Internet Storm Center, have both issued warnings
    about the combined threat of compromised websites and browser loophole.

    Cert said: "Users should be aware that any website, even those that may be
    trusted by the user, may be affected by this activity and thus contain
    potentially malicious code."

    In its round-up of the threat the Internet Storm Center bluntly stated that
    users should if possible "use a browser other then MS Internet Explorer
    until the current vulnerabilities in MSIE are patched."

    Pepperoni, Jun 27, 2004

  2. Pepperoni

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Times like these I envy AOL users (Once in a blue moon).

    I heard about this hole in IE for a while now, but I haven't experienced any
    problems. Saying that I did catch someone trying to upload a Trojan on my
    comp the other day when I was surfing. Don't know if they are both
    connected. '-)

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 27, 2004