    which would be best for this purpose ? and also have the longest period
    before they delete for 'non usage'? since i might not use it for a while
    and once had a hotmail account deleted for not using it. thanks
    jw 1111, May 13, 2006

  2. jw 1111

    Gordon Guest

    jw 1111 wrote:

    > I have decided i will store good newsgroup technical type postings on a
    > web
    > based email account, as my own personal storage system. i.e. either
    > yahoo, gmail or hotmail.
    >
    > which would be best for this purpose ? and also have the longest period
    > before they delete for 'non usage'? since i might not use it for a while
    > and once had a hotmail account deleted for not using it. thanks

    The best for space has to be Gmail at the moment: It's currently running at
    2.7 GB........

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    Gordon, May 13, 2006

  3. jw 1111

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sat, 13 May 2006 10:12:18 +0100, Gordon wrote
    (in article <>):

    > jw 1111 wrote:
    >
    >> I have decided i will store good newsgroup technical type postings on a
    >> web
    >> based email account, as my own personal storage system. i.e. either
    >> yahoo, gmail or hotmail.
    >>
    >> which would be best for this purpose ? and also have the longest period
    >> before they delete for 'non usage'? since i might not use it for a while
    >> and once had a hotmail account deleted for not using it. thanks

    > The best for space has to be Gmail at the moment: It's currently running at
    > 2.7 GB........

    I have serious issues with GMail - their privacy statement is somewhat of an
    oxymoron. It allows them to snoop at whatever - and whenever - they like.
    Margolotta, May 13, 2006
  4. jw 1111

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-13, jw 1111 <> wrote:
    > I have decided i will store good newsgroup technical type postings on a web
    > based email account, as my own personal storage system. i.e. either yahoo,
    > gmail or hotmail.
    >
    > which would be best for this purpose ? and also have the longest period
    > before they delete for 'non usage'? since i might not use it for a while
    > and once had a hotmail account deleted for not using it. thanks

    If the articles are archived by Google Groups, do you need to archive them
    yourself as well? In any case, storage on your own computer and backups
    is probably more reliable than any web site.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, May 13, 2006
  5. jw 1111

    jw 1111 Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-05-13, jw 1111 <> wrote:
    >> I have decided i will store good newsgroup technical type postings on a
    >> web
    >> based email account, as my own personal storage system. i.e. either
    >> yahoo,
    >> gmail or hotmail.
    >>
    >> which would be best for this purpose ? and also have the longest period
    >> before they delete for 'non usage'? since i might not use it for a while
    >> and once had a hotmail account deleted for not using it. thanks

    > If the articles are archived by Google Groups, do you need to archive them
    > yourself as well? In any case, storage on your own computer and backups
    > is probably more reliable than any web site.
    > -- Whiskers

    i was not going to use a website, but something like hotmail, which surely
    must have a lot of back up in place?
    jw 1111, May 13, 2006
  6. jw 1111

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-13, jw 1111 <> wrote:

    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-05-13, jw 1111 <> wrote:
    >>> I have decided i will store good newsgroup technical type postings on a
    >>> web
    >>> based email account, as my own personal storage system. i.e. either
    >>> yahoo,
    >>> gmail or hotmail.
    >>>
    >>> which would be best for this purpose ? and also have the longest period
    >>> before they delete for 'non usage'? since i might not use it for a while
    >>> and once had a hotmail account deleted for not using it. thanks

    >> If the articles are archived by Google Groups, do you need to archive them
    >> yourself as well? In any case, storage on your own computer and backups
    >> is probably more reliable than any web site.

    > i was not going to use a website, but something like hotmail, which surely
    > must have a lot of back up in place?

    Well, maybe. Presumably you envisage emailing a copy of each article to
    your webmail address.

    Remember that some webmail services automatically 'purge' old messages, so
    unless you can over-ride that setting your archive might not last very
    long.

    I still think that Google Groups and your own local archive are together
    probably the most effective solution.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, May 13, 2006
  7. jw 1111

    Seatoller Guest

    On Sat, 13 May 2006 11:57:52 +0000, jw 1111 wrote:

    <snip>
    > i was not going to use a website, but something like hotmail, which
    > surely must have a lot of back up in place?

    Personally I wouldn't go anywhere /near/ hotmail, unless you're not
    bothered about security:-
    Results 1 - 10 of about 3,560 for "hotmail hacked".

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hs=W...official&q="hotmail hacked"&btnG=Search&meta=

    --
    SuSE 10.1 GM
    Seatoller, May 13, 2006
  8. jw 1111

    Deano Guest

    "jw 1111" <> wrote in message
    > I have decided i will store good newsgroup technical type postings on a

    web
    > based email account, as my own personal storage system. i.e. either

    yahoo,
    > gmail or hotmail.
    >
    > which would be best for this purpose ? and also have the longest period
    > before they delete for 'non usage'? since i might not use it for a while
    > and once had a hotmail account deleted for not using it. thanks

    I would go for Gmail particularly with Notebook on the way.

    From
    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/05/yes-we-are-still-all-about-search.html

    "- Google Notebook (which we'll be launching next week) is a personal
    browser tool that lets you clip text, images, and links from the pages
    you're searching, save clippings to an online notebook, and then share
    notebooks with others."
    Deano, May 13, 2006
  9. jw 1111 wrote:
    > I have decided i will store good newsgroup technical type postings on a web
    > based email account, as my own personal storage system. i.e. either yahoo,
    > gmail or hotmail.

    Sounds like a clunky solution. Why not upload them to some personal web
    space.

    > which would be best for this purpose ? and also have the longest period
    > before they delete for 'non usage'? since i might not use it for a while
    > and once had a hotmail account deleted for not using it. thanks

    Retention is not an issue if you FTP them to some personal web space.

    You apparently know how to do email and newsgroups (albeit with OE).
    But that doesn't make either of them the solution to every task -- like
    archiving.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups