Web based album

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sherry, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just scanned through
    several hundred messages on this group and didn't see an answer so I'm
    asking again.

    We just got back from a marvelous cruise in the Caribbean and have
    several hundred digital shots I want to share with friends. Could
    someone recommend a reliable site where I could upload them to for
    protected viewing? I'm not sure that I want them to be accessible to
    the general public.

    I tried one site and after linking 10 pics (all you can do at a time -
    sending them all up could take awhile!) and clicked on "upload", I got
    an error message. Didn't feel like trying that again.

    Any recommendations welcome. I tried doing a google search but probably
    wasn't thinking the same way they were because all I could find was
    software...

    Thanks,
    Sherry

    Sherry, Oct 15, 2004

  2. Sherry

    Frank ess Guest

    Sherry wrote:
    > Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just scanned through
    > several hundred messages on this group and didn't see an answer so I'm
    > asking again.
    >
    > We just got back from a marvelous cruise in the Caribbean and have
    > several hundred digital shots I want to share with friends. Could
    > someone recommend a reliable site where I could upload them to for
    > protected viewing? I'm not sure that I want them to be accessible to
    > the general public.
    >
    > I tried one site and after linking 10 pics (all you can do at a time -
    > sending them all up could take awhile!) and clicked on "upload", I got
    > an error message. Didn't feel like trying that again.
    >
    > Any recommendations welcome. I tried doing a google search but
    > probably wasn't thinking the same way they were because all I could
    > find was software...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sherry

    FotoTime.com

    You could probably squeeze your exhibition into the 30-day free trial,
    and if you like it, it's about two bucks a month paid in advance for
    250MB.

    I have more than 5,000 images there for viewing and as source storage
    for Web site links.

    I can supply a URL for any individual image at three sizes (thumbnail,
    standard, original) or any group of images (album), or any number of
    designated albums. Visitors do not have access to images or albums you
    do not choose to reveal.

    Plenty of caption capability, including album headers, that will accept
    some html language. I haven't explored any other avenue for profile
    exhibition.

    FotoTimie offers an image management program that has been praised, but
    I just ftp through the drag-and-drop upload facility from Windows.

    Costs about $2.00 US per month, payable yearly in advance, for 250 MB of
    space, 10X space bandwidth per month. My 5,000 images take up about 400
    of my 500 MB space (250 MB chunks may be added at the same yearly rate).

    For another ~$19.00 US per year, they will host your videos, and display
    them to visitors in either the native format or their converted mode,
    which seems to work fine.

    They are very quick and accurate in response to technical questions, and
    have in my experience almost no down-time.

    No commercial connection with FotoTime, just a two-year satisfied user.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 15, 2004

  3. Sherry

    Jer Guest

    Sherry wrote:

    > Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just scanned through
    > several hundred messages on this group and didn't see an answer so I'm
    > asking again.
    >
    > We just got back from a marvelous cruise in the Caribbean and have
    > several hundred digital shots I want to share with friends.

    Didja manage to get a night shot while they were flushing the bilge?
    It's easy to know because of the oil slick trailing behind the boat for
    about a hundred miles or so.

    > Could
    > someone recommend a reliable site where I could upload them to for
    > protected viewing? I'm not sure that I want them to be accessible to
    > the general public.

    Don't want your other boyfriends to know, huh? It's okay, I understand. :)

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Oct 15, 2004
  4. Sherry

    Buster Guest

    MSN Premium does this. It creates an email of thumbnails and uploads the
    full images online. You can view as a slideshow or download the full images
    locally. I really like it - good interface.
    I think you can get a 3 month trial of MSN Premium but it requires a credit
    card.

    Buster, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    Jer <> wrote in news:ckpheg$:

    > Sherry wrote:

    <snip>
    >> We just got back from a marvelous cruise in the Caribbean and have
    >> several hundred digital shots I want to share with friends.

    > Didja manage to get a night shot while they were flushing the bilge?
    > It's easy to know because of the oil slick trailing behind the boat
    > for about a hundred miles or so.

    Actually, I did. It was just gorgeous - the moonlight reflecting off the
    sheen is a sight to behold

    >> Could
    >> someone recommend a reliable site where I could upload them to for
    >> protected viewing? I'm not sure that I want them to be accessible
    >> to the general public.

    > Don't want your other boyfriends to know, huh? It's okay, I
    > understand. :)

    They were all on the cruise with me and my family. ;)

    Sherry, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    "Buster" <> wrote in news::

    > MSN Premium does this. It creates an email of thumbnails and uploads
    > the full images online. You can view as a slideshow or download the
    > full images locally. I really like it - good interface.
    > I think you can get a 3 month trial of MSN Premium but it requires a
    > credit card.

    Thanks, but I don't see the reason for giving a credit card number out
    for a free trial other than they hope you forget to cancel before the
    time is up. Besides, I really don't need all the other features it
    offers - great deal if it's something a person can use!

    I did find a great freeware web page generator program and found web
    hosting for a lot less per month and more storage space than the MSN
    site charges. I think I'll go that direction. Gotta keep the cost
    down until hubby gets a job.....

    I tried uploading pics again to the site where I got the error message
    and got the message again.

    Sherry

    Sherry, Oct 17, 2004
  7. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in

    <snip>
    > FotoTime.com
    >
    > You could probably squeeze your exhibition into the 30-day free
    > trial, and if you like it, it's about two bucks a month paid in
    > advance for 250MB.
    >
    > --
    > Frank ess

    Thanks Frank. Does the actual site move faster than the demo? Or
    maybe I was just hitting the server at a busy time (I have 768MB DSL)

    Sherry

    Sherry, Oct 17, 2004
  8. Sherry

    Ryadia Guest

    Sherry wrote:

    > Thanks, but I don't see the reason for giving a credit card number out
    > for a free trial other than they hope you forget to cancel before the
    > time is up. Besides, I really don't need all the other features it
    > offers - great deal if it's something a person can use!
    >
    > I did find a great freeware web page generator program and found web
    > hosting for a lot less per month and more storage space than the MSN
    > site charges. I think I'll go that direction. Gotta keep the cost
    > down until hubby gets a job.....
    >
    > I tried uploading pics again to the site where I got the error message
    > and got the message again.
    >

    > Sherry

    So the alternative is to use the free web space your ISP gives you and
    use a program like Gallery Constructor to make a gallery and upload it
    to your ISP. No security but hey... It's free!

    Ryadia

    Ryadia, Oct 17, 2004
  9. This is quite good software for posting photos on your free webspace
    http://jalbum.net/
    It's free too which is always a bonus ;-)
    Its got ftp software built in for automatic uploading but I've never
    been able to make it work right. Somebody else might have more luck.

    Tripmonkey (UK), Oct 17, 2004
  10. Sherry

    Frank ess Guest

    "Sherry" <> wrote in message
    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in
    >
    > <snip>
    >> FotoTime.com
    >>
    >> You could probably squeeze your exhibition into the 30-day free
    >> trial, and if you like it, it's about two bucks a month paid in
    >> advance for 250MB.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank ess

    > Thanks Frank. Does the actual site move faster than the demo? Or
    > maybe I was just hitting the server at a busy time (I have 768MB DSL)
    >
    > Sherry

    You're welcome, Sherry.

    I think FotoTime is a little pokey compared to others. It would be
    perfect if they could find a way to speed it up. Thinking along that
    line, have you looked at the Epson show-your-pictures site? I remember
    it as very quick.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 17, 2004
  11. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > I think FotoTime is a little pokey compared to others. It would be
    > perfect if they could find a way to speed it up. Thinking along that
    > line, have you looked at the Epson show-your-pictures site? I
    > remember it as very quick.

    The Epson site is the one giving me the problems with the upload
    (couldn't remember when I first wrote my plea for help which of the
    two sites I tried it was). I sent a troubleshooting report and they
    said they'd get back to me within 5 days. Eh?

    Sherry

    Sherry, Oct 18, 2004
  12. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    Ryadia <> wrote in

    <snip>
    > So the alternative is to use the free web space your ISP gives you
    > and use a program like Gallery Constructor to make a gallery and
    > upload it to your ISP. No security but hey... It's free!
    >
    > Ryadia

    Yup, but my ISP only offers 5 MB of webspace - couldn't find any
    "upgrades" to the amount of space either. I'll see once I run the pics
    through the program how much they're compressed.

    S.

    Sherry, Oct 18, 2004
  13. Sherry

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    Sherry <> writes:

    > We just got back from a marvelous cruise in the Caribbean and have
    > several hundred digital shots I want to share with friends. Could
    > someone recommend a reliable site where I could upload them to for

    The first thing I would recommend is whittling down your pile of photos
    to just the best ones. I would think for a one-week cruise you could
    get down to 50 or so good ones.

    > protected viewing? I'm not sure that I want them to be accessible to
    > the general public.

    What do you mean by "protected"? Even if you put it on a site that only
    serves content with two-way-certificate-authenticated military-grade
    end-to-end encryption, there's the security of your friends' individual
    computers to worry about. Then there's the Ben Franklin quote, "Three
    may keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

    You know those Christmas letters people sometimes send out to one or two
    hundred relatives and friends? I wouldn't put anything on a web site
    that you wouldn't put in one of those letters. And that's with
    best-case security.

    > I tried one site and after linking 10 pics (all you can do at a time -
    > sending them all up could take awhile!) and clicked on "upload", I got
    > an error message. Didn't feel like trying that again.
    >
    > Any recommendations welcome. I tried doing a google search but probably
    > wasn't thinking the same way they were because all I could find was
    > software...

    If you don't want to do the "Browse" routine 10 times for 10 pictures,
    you do need some kind of client-side software that combines them all
    into one file.

    Of course, the web host needs to support your upload of all the pictures
    in one file. I have created a hosting service that does this, but given
    the newsgroup charter's explicit disallowing of advertisement/promotion,
    I hesitate to name it specifically. I do think it's on topic, however,
    so if one of the regulars on rec.photo.digital says it's OK (either
    because I misunderstood the charter or because expected behavior on the
    newsgroup has evolved slightly since the charter), I'll post details.

    Bruce Lewis, Oct 18, 2004
  14. Sorry, one thing that I forgot to mention was that this software creates
    standard web pages for the album which can be altered if you wish. This
    means that as long as you have a basic knowledge of editing them, You
    should be able to either password protect the pages or just disable
    right click so that other people can't steal your pics.
    Quite handy for free security.

    Trip..

    Tripmonkey (UK), Oct 18, 2004
  15. Sherry

    Jer Guest

    Tripmonkey (UK) wrote:

    > Sorry, one thing that I forgot to mention was that this software creates
    > standard web pages for the album which can be altered if you wish. This
    > means that as long as you have a basic knowledge of editing them, You
    > should be able to either password protect the pages or just disable
    > right click so that other people can't steal your pics.
    > Quite handy for free security.

    Well, disabling the right-click may stall a neophyte, but one can always
    go steal anything from the browser cache - assuming a browser cache exists.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Oct 19, 2004
  16. Sherry

    Jer Guest

    Bruce Lewis wrote:

    [....]

    > What do you mean by "protected"? Even if you put it on a site that only
    > serves content with two-way-certificate-authenticated military-grade
    > end-to-end encryption, there's the security of your friends' individual
    > computers to worry about. Then there's the Ben Franklin quote, "Three
    > may keep a secret, if two of them are dead."
    >
    > You know those Christmas letters people sometimes send out to one or two
    > hundred relatives and friends? I wouldn't put anything on a web site
    > that you wouldn't put in one of those letters. And that's with
    > best-case security.

    I've done something similar with a separate directory on my server, no
    index page, and no linkage from somewhere else keeping it away from
    spiders. Distribution is by absolute link only.

    [....]

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Oct 19, 2004