  1. Do web accelerators really work? Are they worth getting? I have Callwave
    answering machine and they came out with an accelerator they claim will
    bring you up to broadband speed for only $4 a month. Any thoughts?

    The Screaming Banshee, Nov 16, 2005

  2. The Screaming Banshee

    derek / nul Guest

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 01:55:52 GMT, "The Screaming Banshee"
    <> wrote:

    >Do web accelerators really work? Are they worth getting? I have Callwave
    >answering machine and they came out with an accelerator they claim will
    >bring you up to broadband speed for only $4 a month. Any thoughts?

    They are laughing all the way to the bank!!

    derek / nul, Nov 16, 2005

  3. The Screaming Banshee

    Robert Baer Guest

    The Screaming Banshee wrote:

    > Do web accelerators really work? Are they worth getting? I have Callwave
    > answering machine and they came out with an accelerator they claim will
    > bring you up to broadband speed for only $4 a month. Any thoughts?

    They work and they do not work.
    They compress text on sending to you and de-compress at the computer,
    making it *look* like one has broadband.
    However, read the fine print: pictures, movies and the like are not
    compressed, because they are already compressed (some pictures are not).
    At $4 per month, one cannot go wrong - BUT that sounds like the price
    is too good to be true...
    ....So be *VERY* careful and ask others about the *specific* plan you
    contemplate trying *and* look at the contract and the ad fineprint.
    Do they include ads to keep that price unusually low? Do they monitor
    your computer in some way so that you get more ads than normal and more
    "this is a great buy" e-mails?

    Robert Baer, Nov 16, 2005
  4. The Screaming Banshee

    Peter D Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > The Screaming Banshee wrote:
    >
    >> Do web accelerators really work? Are they worth getting? I have
    >> Callwave answering machine and they came out with an accelerator they
    >> claim will bring you up to broadband speed for only $4 a month. Any
    >> thoughts?
    >>

    > They work and they do not work.
    > They compress text on sending to you and de-compress at the computer,
    > making it *look* like one has broadband.
    > However, read the fine print: pictures, movies and the like are not
    > compressed, because they are already compressed (some pictures are not).
    > At $4 per month, one cannot go wrong - BUT that sounds like the price
    > is too good to be true...
    > ...So be *VERY* careful and ask others about the *specific* plan you
    > contemplate trying *and* look at the contract and the ad fineprint.
    > Do they include ads to keep that price unusually low? Do they monitor
    > your computer in some way so that you get more ads than normal and more
    > "this is a great buy" e-mails?

    Hey all, Web accelerators not worth using, if you want that sort of edge
    it best to use a TCP modifier and tweak your settings, this depends on
    what type of connection you have. Also using the right browser is
    essential. If you use Firefox this can help, as Firefox has extensions
    that can block ad's and create a list of blocked servers, such as
    banners and flash adverts. Firefox can also change the TCP settings for
    better optimisation. Guess what it all free!

    As for web accelerators, they can only compress files and do nothing to
    change the speed or response time of your connection, so what the point
    in spending money on them.. It is better to just tweak your connections
    and have a browser that gets rid of the unwanted banners and popup… thus
    giving you a choice of what you view.. When you view it. This as we all
    know will help your bandwidth, thus having a faster connection. ïŠ

    Need Urls just ask.

    Hope this helps..

    Peter D, Nov 16, 2005
  5. "Peter D" <> wrote
    > Firefox can also change the TCP settings for better optimisation.

    Okay I installed Foxfire and so far I like it. Now how is it possible to do
    what you said above with TCP settings?

    The Screaming Banshee, Nov 17, 2005
  6. Also with Foxfire, I keep getting the popups regarding encrypted page
    warnings. Any way to stop these popup warnings?

    The Screaming Banshee, Nov 17, 2005
  7. The Screaming Banshee

    Peter D Guest

    Re: web accelerators, worth using? a guide to firefox

    The Screaming Banshee wrote:
    > Also with Foxfire, I keep getting the popup regarding encrypted page
    > Warnings. Any way to stop these popup warnings?

    Sorry only just checked my mail; yep no problem will give info you need.
    K first I will show you the extensions which are a must for better
    browsing. Here a URL for a tutorial... it's all automatic.

    Popup warning just say don't show again and allow. Fire fox will take
    care of the rest.

    Fire fox help: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/
    Once installed fire fox you have to do some configuration.

    Heres what to do... Don't worry it really easy!

    1. Goto tools options, select general and then tick fire fox as default
    browser. (This is recommended)
    2. After that go to connection and make sure direct connection is
    selected. (If you have a firewall on make sure that Fire fox has been
    given permission for both server and usage on the net)... (If you are
    using a router then port forwarding is required)

    3. PRIVACY > make sure that the following options are ticked use the
    '+' to extend options.

    3a. PRIVACY> (sub) HISTORY> Make 3 days (no need for more, optional)
    3b. PRIVACY> Download history (choose upon successful download) this
    will clear any download history.

    4. Now goto the next tab WB FEATURES > make sure the following are
    ticked. Tick all of them except from original web page. This will
    enable Fire fox to block popup.

    5. DOWNLOADS> choose desktop for saving files. (Save all files to> Desktop)
    5a. DOWNLOAD MANAGER> Choose when a download begins tick > show download
    then> Close download manager.

    6. Advanced> now you can customise what you wan but I recommend leaving.
    The only option I tick is to use FIND AS YOU type. This very useful
    tool and allows you to find just by enter the word you wish to find in a
    webpage.

    CUSTOMISING.
    Now time for the fun stuff...
    Fire fox uses Extensions which allow many different tools or setting to
    be used. This is why Fire fox is so much better and popular today.
    (It’s all free too)

    To find the extension page do: TOOLS>EXTENSIONS. A popup box will
    appear, this what extensions you have installed, from here options can
    allow to config everything.

    In that box their is small text in bottom right corner... GET MORE
    extensions. *make sure you are connected to the net.

    The page for fire fox will come up along with the most popular extensions.

    Install procedure: Click on extension>then click on install link>
    extension box will appear and then ask you to install, say yes. You can
    install as many as you like in one go but fire fox will require you to
    close all browsers. After restart goto extensions again or options
    (depending on the extension function) you can config the behaviour of
    them all.

    K... almost their, repeat the install procedure, restart is only
    required when your done installing them all... Here a list of what you need.

    You can use the webpage search in the top right hand corner; change the
    search box to extensions instead of webpage.

    List: get,
    FASTER FOX (for doing your connection, choose optimised depending on
    your connection) this is best as aggressive setting can overload
    WebPages and this can be a pain in the ass.
    ADBLOCK (used to ban banners and images, even frames which are used to
    mount banners, this extension is a god send! you can even ban them all
    together so be careful what you ban. (This is down by right clicking on
    the banner and choosing adblock image, or adblock... (Address).com

    Flash block (the same but you choose to click on what to play)

    Google customise (predictive text and allows you to search with the same
    results in all the major browsers, this to can be done in the top right
    search engine)

    Auto copy (just highlight anything and it copied straight away)

    IE view (does what it says on the packet) open IE not that you'll be
    using much, some web pages still are in the dark ages, and fire fox
    can't open them up properly, mind you this is about 1% of erm!

    TAB Browser preferences (allows you to use tabs and control link
    behaviour instead of 10million fire fox programs open, like opera does)

    PDF download (gives you option to download or view, handy to have)

    Got opera? Also an opera view out as well.
    Right feel free to look at any extension you like! Install what you
    want, but try to keep to a minimum; you want a fast load time don't you?

    Last this go up to your icons and choose customise, you should drop
    download, new tab, new window, history and any others that are not their.

    Sorry for the confusing guide my first time showing someone. Hope this
    is ok for your all, any problems, questions just ask... Welcome to an
    internet experience that doesn’t include MS products (Haa at last!)

    By the way another way of optermising a dsl connection is to use a
    program called TCP optermiser, this is only reccomended for ADsl as it
    permantly chages settings on you windos congif, read all first heres the
    page: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

    Peter D, Nov 17, 2005
  8. Re: web accelerators, worth using? a guide to firefox

    Thank you for your time in helping me.

    Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to use Foxfire because two sites
    that I pay bills online with, won't accept it. Something about the
    encryption not being good enough and they only except IE and Netscape. :(

    The Screaming Banshee, Nov 17, 2005
  9. The Screaming Banshee

    Plato Guest

    Re: web accelerators, worth using? a guide to firefox

    The Screaming Banshee wrote:

    > Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to use Foxfire because two sites
    > that I pay bills online with, won't accept it. Something about the
    > encryption not being good enough and they only except IE and Netscape. :(

    I have four browser icons and use them all for different things. You're
    ritht tho, some sites only like certain browsers to work correctly.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 18, 2005
  10. The Screaming Banshee

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > The Screaming Banshee wrote:
    >
    >>Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to use Foxfire because two sites
    >>that I pay bills online with, won't accept it. Something about the
    >>encryption not being good enough and they only except IE and Netscape. :(

    > I have four browser icons and use them all for different things. You're
    > ritht tho, some sites only like certain browsers to work correctly.

    In firefox, when arriving at the right page ,rightclick somewere
    in the field ,and if you have "IE VIEW" exstention installed you
    can open the current page in Internet Explorer.
    When leaving IE ,you are back in firefox.
    I have not yet recieved any nasty shit that way.
    I can run spybot/adaware with !congratulations! nothing found!"
    and I like it that way.
    Only get unwanted cookies , but "CCLEAN" kills them right off!!

    Sjouke Burry, Nov 18, 2005