    Anyone have any recommendations of programs that really work?

    Thanks,

    Jeff
    JMI, Jul 8, 2005

  2. JMI

    Rom Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 05:02:38 -0400, JMI wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a good web accelerator for Firefox? I've already got a
    > DSL connection (768 down/ 384 up) but sometime web browsing takes longer
    > than I think it should. Downloading of files seems to work ok, it's just
    > that web browsing in any browser is sometimes a drag.

    > I've also already installed the TweakNetwork Setting extension for Firefox
    > to no avail.
    >
    > I'm looking for anything that could speed things up,

    Try changing/using a proxy, or DNS, or ISP.

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Jul 8, 2005

  3. JMI

    Z Guest

    JMI wrote:
    > I'm looking for anything that could speed things up, even at the cost of
    > degraded images. I believe that's how AOL and NetZero have been able to
    > speed up their internet web browsing.

    AOL, NetZero et al accelerate via on-the-fly data compression and
    decompression. For that, you need s/w on _both_ ends of the data pipe.

    That means your ISP must provide a compression/decompression app on its
    end. Does your ISP support this? If so, use it.

    Note that web accelerators can create problems with other non-browsers
    network apps, like your anti-virus' update process.
    Z, Jul 8, 2005
  4. JMI

    Splibbilla Guest

    continuing this partly OT :)

    Z <> in news:ZByze.6491$:

    > JMI wrote:
    >> I'm looking for anything that could speed things up, even at the cost of
    >> degraded images.

    with option of bypassing 'accelerator' when you want he 'virgin' file?

    >>I believe that's how AOL and NetZero have been able to
    >> speed up their internet web browsing.

    > AOL, NetZero et al accelerate via on-the-fly data compression and
    > decompression. For that, you need s/w on _both_ ends of the data pipe.
    >
    > That means your ISP must provide a compression/decompression app on its
    > end. Does your ISP support this? If so, use it.
    >
    > Note that web accelerators can create problems with other non-browsers
    > network apps, like your anti-virus' update process.

    when you'd certailny want an option to bypass 'accelerator'

    --
    Gecko/1.7.8: 20050511, Mozilla1.7.20050.51112, Firefox1.0.4 DeerParkRc1 + GoogleBar(XPI-rimental), Sage F, PrefBar, Tabmix F,
    Customizegoogle, IEView Trying: Rip, Platypus, InfoRss
    Splibbilla, Jul 11, 2005