    travelled to Europe wearing Photo vest? A picture of the vest can be
    seen page 33 of the photographic magazine Shutterbug May 2006. I shall
    Carry only a small shirt pocket-able camera. Any comments. With thanks.
    zxcvbnm2bg, Apr 10, 2006

  2. zxcvbnm2bg

    PTravel Guest

    "zxcvbnm2bg" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Greetings! I am thinking of wearing a photo vest which has many pockets
    > to store passport, small digital camera and batteries etc. I shall be
    > traveling to London, Paris and Rome in late May and June 2006. One bad
    > point I can think - It will immediately mark me as tourist.

    You'll be immediately marked as a tourist anyway, so don't worry about how
    the vest would look. There's not wrong with being a tourist -- just don't
    be an obnoxious.

    If the photo vest makes photography easier, then wear it.

    However, NEVER carry your passport somewhere where it is easily
    pickpocketed. There's no real reason to carry your passport, anyway. Keep
    it back in the hotel, locked away, and carry a photocopy should you have
    some reason to need it (for example, to get your VAT refund forms filled
    out).

    > Will it be too hot to wear photo vest in June in London, Paris and
    > Rome?

    Paris is variable in June. Rome, however, can be very warm.

    > The vest is made of cotton. Any member of this newsgroup has
    > travelled to Europe wearing Photo vest? A picture of the vest can be
    > seen page 33 of the photographic magazine Shutterbug May 2006. I shall
    > Carry only a small shirt pocket-able camera. Any comments. With thanks.

    If you're carrying a shirt-pocket camera, why would you need a camera vest?

    PTravel, Apr 10, 2006

  3. zxcvbnm2bg

    Frank ess Guest

    PTravel wrote:
    > "zxcvbnm2bg" <> wrote in message
    >> Greetings! I am thinking of wearing a photo vest which has many
    >> pockets to store passport, small digital camera and batteries etc.
    >> shall be traveling to London, Paris and Rome in late May and June
    >> 2006. One bad point I can think - It will immediately mark me as
    >> tourist.

    > You'll be immediately marked as a tourist anyway, so don't worry
    > about how the vest would look. There's not wrong with being a
    > tourist -- just don't be an obnoxious.
    >
    > If the photo vest makes photography easier, then wear it.
    >
    > However, NEVER carry your passport somewhere where it is easily
    > pickpocketed. There's no real reason to carry your passport,
    > anyway.
    > Keep it back in the hotel, locked away, and carry a photocopy should
    > you have some reason to need it (for example, to get your VAT refund
    > forms filled out).
    >

    >> Will it be too hot to wear photo vest in June in London, Paris and
    >> Rome?

    > Paris is variable in June. Rome, however, can be very warm.
    >

    >> The vest is made of cotton. Any member of this newsgroup has
    >> travelled to Europe wearing Photo vest? A picture of the vest can
    >> be
    >> seen page 33 of the photographic magazine Shutterbug May 2006. I
    >> shall Carry only a small shirt pocket-able camera. Any comments.
    >> With thanks.

    > If you're carrying a shirt-pocket camera, why would you need a
    > camera
    > vest?

    Cos they're cool, so to speak.

    My sister gave me a Weekender travel vest. It has a mesh back, to
    promote cooling. I've yet to try it in warm weather. Well, warm is
    relative. Warmer than 70 degrees F.

    The one I've used most is a $14.95 US fishing vest from Sports
    Authority. It works good for ancillaries; I wouldn't want to do a big
    lens or extra body with it, but it felt fine in warm weather, all
    cotton and dissipates moisture pretty well.

    I also have a jacket with dozens of pockets, some kind of a lawman's
    rig with CCW capabilities. Don't need the latter any more, but I can
    see the value of sleeves in cool or colder weather.

    Now can we talk about photographers' shoes? My favorites are the
    equivalent of what the Air Force issued me, called "brogans". They and
    the current ones were carefully fitted to be worn with two pair socks.
    Second choice is some of the very light and flexible (and really big)
    "cross-trainers", also carefully chosen for fit. Third, "court shoes"
    of modern design and careful fit.

    Another thing the Air Force did for me was to teach changing shoes
    from day to day. Wearing the same pair two or more days in a row
    doesn't allow them to dry out completely, potentially creating foot
    problems.

    --
    Frank ess
    "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine:

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Apr 10, 2006
  4. zxcvbnm2bg

    Crash Gordon Guest

    Rome in June is hot...if the vest is sleeveless..maybe it will work. Me I
    wear my Hawaiian shirts...you're gonna be tagged as a tourist no matter what
    you do...just don't be a target.

    Crash Gordon, Apr 10, 2006
  5. "zxcvbnm2bg" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings! I am thinking of wearing a photo vest which has many pockets
    > to store passport, small digital camera and batteries etc. I shall be
    > traveling to London, Paris and Rome in late May and June 2006. One bad
    > point I can think - It will immediately mark me as tourist.
    >
    > Will it be too hot to wear photo vest in June in London, Paris and
    > Rome?

    I just spent 10 days in Italy. I carried my small camera in my shirt pocket.
    Spare batteries can fit in a pocket easily too. The rest of the batteries
    and charger will be back at the hotel.

    Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest pocket.
    What about your wallet? I carry a decoy wallet in my back pocket. It has a
    couple of supermarket discount cards in it and $2 in paper money. My real
    wallet is either in a money belt or a front pocket. Cash is kept elsewhere
    also.

    No matter how hard you try, you will be easily spotted as a tourist. Make
    the best of it and skip the vest.

    Best way to obtain Euros is to use your ATM card at any Bancomat. No
    service charges or upcharges as you'll get at the airport or hotel. Rome
    will be hot in June. And loaded with tourists so be prepared to wait for
    any attractions and be prepared to go through security, just like at the
    airport. . On a slow day, the Vatican gets 12,000 visitors.

    Check your cell phone options also. I have Cingular and was able to
    register to have it work in Europe, but it is expensive, $1.29 a minute.
    Cheapest way to call is to buy a phone card at a Tabacchi and use it from
    the hotel phone.
    --
    Ed
    http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/
    Edwin Pawlowski, Apr 10, 2006
  6. zxcvbnm2bg

    PTravel Guest

    "Edwin Pawlowski" <> wrote in message

    > "zxcvbnm2bg" <> wrote in message
    >> Greetings! I am thinking of wearing a photo vest which has many pockets
    >> to store passport, small digital camera and batteries etc. I shall be
    >> traveling to London, Paris and Rome in late May and June 2006. One bad
    >> point I can think - It will immediately mark me as tourist.
    >>
    >> Will it be too hot to wear photo vest in June in London, Paris and
    >> Rome?

    > I just spent 10 days in Italy. I carried my small camera in my shirt
    > pocket. Spare batteries can fit in a pocket easily too. The rest of the
    > batteries and charger will be back at the hotel.
    >
    > Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest pocket.

    It's best not to carry the passport.

    > What about your wallet? I carry a decoy wallet in my back pocket. It has
    > a couple of supermarket discount cards in it and $2 in paper money.

    Why go to that trouble? Though pickpocketing is a common tourist-oriented
    crime, violent robbery is extremely rare in Europe.

    > My real wallet is either in a money belt or a front pocket.

    The front pocket is almost as vulnerable as the hip pocket or inside jacket
    pocket.

    > Cash is kept elsewhere also.
    >
    > No matter how hard you try, you will be easily spotted as a tourist. Make
    > the best of it and skip the vest.

    Exactly.

    > Best way to obtain Euros is to use your ATM card at any Bancomat. No
    > service charges or upcharges as you'll get at the airport or hotel. Rome
    > will be hot in June. And loaded with tourists so be prepared to wait for
    > any attractions and be prepared to go through security, just like at the
    > airport. . On a slow day, the Vatican gets 12,000 visitors.
    >
    > Check your cell phone options also. I have Cingular and was able to
    > register to have it work in Europe, but it is expensive, $1.29 a minute.
    > Cheapest way to call is to buy a phone card at a Tabacchi and use it from
    > the hotel phone.

    Easiest way is to buy a SIM card and use it in a tri- or quad-band GSM phone
    (Cingular is GSM -- if your phone works in Europe, it will work with a local
    SIM).

    PTravel, Apr 10, 2006
  7. zxcvbnm2bg

    irwell Guest

    On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 19:31:56 -0700, "PTravel" <>
    wrote:

    >"Edwin Pawlowski" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "zxcvbnm2bg" <> wrote in message
    >>> Greetings! I am thinking of wearing a photo vest which has many pockets
    >>> to store passport, small digital camera and batteries etc. I shall be
    >>> traveling to London, Paris and Rome in late May and June 2006. One bad
    >>> point I can think - It will immediately mark me as tourist.
    >>>
    >>> Will it be too hot to wear photo vest in June in London, Paris and
    >>> Rome?

    >> I just spent 10 days in Italy. I carried my small camera in my shirt
    >> pocket. Spare batteries can fit in a pocket easily too. The rest of the
    >> batteries and charger will be back at the hotel.
    >>
    >> Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest pocket.

    >It's best not to carry the passport.

    It is the requirement in a lot of European countries, especially Spain
    that you carry your passport at all times.
    Your passport is safer on your body than ina hotel safe.
    irwell, Apr 10, 2006
  8. zxcvbnm2bg

    SMS Guest

    Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

    > Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest pocket.
    > What about your wallet? I carry a decoy wallet in my back pocket. It has a
    > couple of supermarket discount cards in it and $2 in paper money. My real
    > wallet is either in a money belt or a front pocket. Cash is kept elsewhere
    > also.

    Save some expired or discontinued credit cards for the decoy wallet. $2
    is too little, it's a giveaway that the wallet is a decoy. Put at least
    $20 in there.

    So many people carry decoy wallets these days, that the if you're mugged
    the mugger will realize that it's a decoy wallet if there's too little
    money in it.
    SMS, Apr 10, 2006
  9. zxcvbnm2bg

    PTravel Guest

    "irwell" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 19:31:56 -0700, "PTravel" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Edwin Pawlowski" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "zxcvbnm2bg" <> wrote in message

    >>> I just spent 10 days in Italy. I carried my small camera in my shirt
    >>> pocket. Spare batteries can fit in a pocket easily too. The rest of
    >>> the
    >>> batteries and charger will be back at the hotel.
    >>>
    >>> Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest
    >>> pocket.

    >>It's best not to carry the passport.
    >>

    > It is the requirement in a lot of European countries, especially Spain
    > that you carry your passport at all times.

    It's a requirement in some, but never enforced. A photocopy will do.

    Have you ever tried to replace a passport overseas? It's not an easy, quick
    or pleasant process.

    > Your passport is safer on your body than ina hotel safe.

    Nonsense.
    PTravel, Apr 10, 2006
  10. "SMS" <> wrote in message
    > Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    >
    >> Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest
    >> pocket. What about your wallet? I carry a decoy wallet in my back pocket.
    >> It has a couple of supermarket discount cards in it and $2 in paper
    >> money. My real wallet is either in a money belt or a front pocket. Cash
    >> is kept elsewhere also.

    > Save some expired or discontinued credit cards for the decoy wallet. $2 is
    > too little, it's a giveaway that the wallet is a decoy. Put at least $20
    > in there.
    >
    > So many people carry decoy wallets these days, that the if you're mugged
    > the mugger will realize that it's a decoy wallet if there's too little
    > money in it.

    Make sure you get any decoy wallet embossed with "This is a genuine wallet,
    not a decoy". You should always carry a dummy camera as well. In some
    countries you can even hire decoy tourists to take your place, so you can
    remain safely at home.
    Jack Torrence, Apr 10, 2006
  11. zxcvbnm2bg

    RobG Guest

    "Jack Torrence" <room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk> wrote
    > In some countries you can even hire decoy tourists to take your place,
    > so you can remain safely at home.

    Sweeeet... you got any contact details on that one?

    RobG
    RobG, Apr 10, 2006
  12. zxcvbnm2bg

    Lucas Guest

    "PTravel" <> schreef in bericht

    <<<SNIP>>>

    > >>It's best not to carry the passport.
    > >>

    > > It is the requirement in a lot of European countries, especially Spain
    > > that you carry your passport at all times.

    > It's a requirement in some, but never enforced. A photocopy will do.
    >

    >>>SNIP<<<

    In ALL European countries it is law that you should be able to (legally)
    identify yourself. For residents of most European Union countries any
    official ID-card (with photo) will do, sometimes a drivers licence is
    accepted. Foreigners (non EU-residents) on the other hand must be able to
    identify themselves with their passports when requested by officials
    (police, customs, etc..) at all times; a photocopy is NOT a legal document!
    When you have only a photocopy on you, you may (or may not) be asked to come
    to the police station in order to "establish your identity", depending on
    how trustworthy you are in the eyes of the official, and wether or not there
    is a recent terrorist threat (we have those over here as well...).

    Sanctions vary in different countries; in Holland there is a fine of 30
    euro's (I beleive), in neighbouring Belgium you can even get arrested for as
    long as it is necessary to establish your identity... this can sometimes
    take a while... These regulations are often used to deal with football (USA:
    soccer) hooliganism.

    On the other hand: in the over 30 years of my adult life, and visiting over
    a dozen european countries, I can't remember when the last time it was when
    anybody asked for my ID/passport, except at airports and when checking in in
    hotels.

    Doesn't your travel agent have this kind of information for you?

    Lucas, Dutchman.
    Lucas, Apr 10, 2006
  13. zxcvbnm2bg

    Za Phod Guest

    Lucas wrote:
    > "PTravel" <> schreef in bericht
    >
    > <<<SNIP>>>

    >>> It is the requirement in a lot of European countries, especially Spain
    >>> that you carry your passport at all times.

    >> It's a requirement in some, but never enforced. A photocopy will do.

    > In ALL European countries it is law that you should be able to (legally)
    > identify yourself. <SNIP>
    >
    > Lucas, Dutchman.

    Rubbish. You don't need to carry any identification in the United
    Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

    Zaphod, Englishman
    Za Phod, Apr 10, 2006
  14. >>> In ALL European countries it is law that you should be able to (legally)
    >>> identify yourself. <SNIP>
    >>>

    >> Rubbish. You don't need to carry any identification in the United
    >> Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

    > Yes I do: I'm no UK-citizen.

    No you don't. There is no requirement under UK law for that regardless
    of your citizenship.
    Derek Fountain, Apr 10, 2006
  15. zxcvbnm2bg

    Lucas Guest

    "Za Phod" <no.em@il> schreef in bericht
    > Lucas wrote:
    > > "PTravel" <> schreef in bericht
    > >
    > > <<<SNIP>>>

    > >> It's a requirement in some, but never enforced. A photocopy will do.

    > > In ALL European countries it is law that you should be able to (legally)
    > > identify yourself. <SNIP>
    > >
    > > Lucas, Dutchman.
    > >

    > Rubbish. You don't need to carry any identification in the United
    > Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    >
    > Zaphod, Englishman

    Yes I do: I'm no UK-citizen.

    Lucas
    Lucas, Apr 10, 2006
  16. zxcvbnm2bg

    Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:50:03 -0700, SMS <> wrote:

    > Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    >
    > > Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest pocket.
    > > What about your wallet? I carry a decoy wallet in my back pocket. It has a
    > > couple of supermarket discount cards in it and $2 in paper money. My real
    > > wallet is either in a money belt or a front pocket. Cash is kept elsewhere
    > > also.

    > Save some expired or discontinued credit cards for the decoy wallet. $2
    > is too little, it's a giveaway that the wallet is a decoy. Put at least
    > $20 in there.

    Don't use an expired card. The only difference between it and your current card is the expiry date.

    > So many people carry decoy wallets these days, that the if you're mugged
    > the mugger will realize that it's a decoy wallet if there's too little
    > money in it.

    Print some money and put that in the decoy wallet. ;-)
    , Apr 10, 2006
  17. zxcvbnm2bg

    Lucas Guest

    "Derek Fountain" <> schreef in bericht

    (legally)

    > >> Rubbish. You don't need to carry any identification in the United
    > >> Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

    > > Yes I do: I'm no UK-citizen.

    > No you don't. There is no requirement under UK law for that regardless
    > of your citizenship.

    If that is really the case, I was misinformed the last time I stayed in one
    of the better reputed international hotels in London.
    After checking in, my passport was returned to me with the words: "Please
    keep your passport on you in case anyone asks for it".
    Why should anyone ask for it, other than for identification purposes? And
    who is entitled to ask for it, other than officials (police etc.)?

    Anyway: better safe than sorry; as I said: in some EU-countries you can even
    be arrested if you have no valid ID. That I know for a fact: my stepfather
    was a policeman who had to deal with that kind of situation several times.

    Lucas
    Lucas, Apr 10, 2006
  18. zxcvbnm2bg

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <Fgj_f.9381$%>,
    Edwin Pawlowski <> wrote:

    >"zxcvbnm2bg" <> wrote in message
    >> Greetings! I am thinking of wearing a photo vest which has many pockets
    >> to store passport, small digital camera and batteries etc. I shall be
    >> traveling to London, Paris and Rome in late May and June 2006. One bad
    >> point I can think - It will immediately mark me as tourist.
    >>
    >> Will it be too hot to wear photo vest in June in London, Paris and
    >> Rome?

    >I just spent 10 days in Italy. I carried my small camera in my shirt pocket.
    >Spare batteries can fit in a pocket easily too. The rest of the batteries
    >and charger will be back at the hotel.
    >
    >Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest pocket.
    >What about your wallet? I carry a decoy wallet in my back pocket. It has a
    >couple of supermarket discount cards in it and $2 in paper money. My real
    >wallet is either in a money belt or a front pocket. Cash is kept elsewhere
    >also.
    >
    >No matter how hard you try, you will be easily spotted as a tourist. Make
    >the best of it and skip the vest.

    I like a passport pouch on a neck cord, under the shirt. If I'm
    carrying expensive airline tickets, they go there, too. Maybe a space
    credit card, also.

    >Best way to obtain Euros is to use your ATM card at any Bancomat. No
    >service charges or upcharges as you'll get at the airport or hotel. Rome

    It's been a while since I checked, but there used to be problem with
    PIN numbers longer than 4 digits on American cards used from overseas
    ATMs. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
    Al Dykes, Apr 10, 2006
  19. zxcvbnm2bg

    irwell Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 04:51:40 GMT, "PTravel"
    <> wrote:

    >"irwell" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 19:31:56 -0700, "PTravel" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Edwin Pawlowski" <> wrote in message

    >>>It's best not to carry the passport.
    >>>

    >> It is the requirement in a lot of European countries, especially Spain
    >> that you carry your passport at all times.

    >It's a requirement in some, but never enforced. A photocopy will do.

    It is enforced in Spain.

    >Have you ever tried to replace a passport overseas? It's not an easy, quick
    >or pleasant process.

    No, I believe you.

    >> Your passport is safer on your body than ina hotel safe.

    >Nonsense.

    Nonsense to you too!. Hotel safes, the bedroom type are not
    that safe, not for things like passports (for which there is a
    thriving market) and your airline tickets, though these days
    e-tickets are safer anyway.
    A money belt or other pocket that you keep under your shirt
    is the safest way to carry your passport and credit cards.
    irwell, Apr 10, 2006
  20. zxcvbnm2bg

    irwell Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 07:56:48 +0100, "Jack Torrence"
    <room217[at]overlook.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >"SMS" <> wrote in message
    >> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    >>
    >>> Passport should be carried some place under a shirt, not in a vest
    >>> pocket. What about your wallet? I carry a decoy wallet in my back pocket.
    >>> It has a couple of supermarket discount cards in it and $2 in paper
    >>> money. My real wallet is either in a money belt or a front pocket. Cash
    >>> is kept elsewhere also.

    >> Save some expired or discontinued credit cards for the decoy wallet. $2 is
    >> too little, it's a giveaway that the wallet is a decoy. Put at least $20
    >> in there.
    >>
    >> So many people carry decoy wallets these days, that the if you're mugged
    >> the mugger will realize that it's a decoy wallet if there's too little
    >> money in it.

    >Make sure you get any decoy wallet embossed with "This is a genuine wallet,
    >not a decoy". You should always carry a dummy camera as well. In some
    >countries you can even hire decoy tourists to take your place, so you can
    >remain safely at home.

    Are they inflatable?
    irwell, Apr 10, 2006