Weard fault

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Cooze, Oct 23, 2005.

  1. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Been goolgiling about this one and getting poor results. Now I know I
    could wipe the probermatic partition and re load windows XP and It will
    be fixed but I don't realy have the time.

    My network consists of some windows boxes win98 and WinXP pro and some
    Linux machines.

    I have a IpCop box with red (modem) and green and Orange interfaces It
    does my DNS for my network the http and ftp stuff.

    I have a machine that has quite a few webpages as well as a mp3 server
    streamer and mail server.

    the Problem machine has WinXP pro win98 and Linux, The win98 and linux
    work properly as one would expect. However WinXP has shagged its self in
    the folling way.
    windows networking SMB is ok
    tcpip proticals like ftp http work with ip numbers
    like http://192.168.2.1 http://192.168.2.30:9000/stream.mp3

    but http://mongo4.mongo.cooze.co.nz &
    http://orac.cooze.co.nz:9000/stream.mp3 dont work
    these names are on the green side of the network and are not accessibul
    from the red side. they work from any machine on the green.

    So my problem looks like Name resolution from my dns server or so I
    thought. so I thought lets eddit the hosts file to point to some of the
    machines in my network and it did not work.
    So at some stage I did the virus and spyware check and Nada nuthing found.

    So google was employed and the best sujestion was disable turn off
    uninstall 3rd party personal firewalls. so after a unstall of kyro and a
    reboot things seemed to work better.

    But Alas it was not to be. The fault seems to be intermittent. so I
    check and swap cables arround I moved the ipcop box clocer the best I
    could come up with was un plugging the green ethernet from Ipcop and re
    incerting and things would work ok for a short time as well as changing
    the Ip address and so forth but nothing seems to be perminant.

    Now I am back to google and getting no good results. My Xp machine has
    all the updates and is running SP2. I was thinking mabey the tcpip stack
    is hosed or somthing is redirecting the dns requests I was thinking I
    should try a packet sniffer or even see what tcpdmp -t eht0 from the ip
    cop box shows up.

    sugestions advice on where I should be looking I am 90% certen It is not
    hard ware fault as 98 and linux dont seem to have the problem on the
    same machine using the same ipaddress card and port on the swich I do
    have a hub I can use If nessory.

    Thanks in advance

    Robert Cooze, Oct 23, 2005

  2. Robert Cooze

    Enkidu Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:
    > Been goolgiling about this one and getting poor results.
    > Now I know I could wipe the probermatic partition and re
    > load windows XP and It will be fixed but I don't realy
    > have the time.
    >
    > My network consists of some windows boxes win98 and WinXP
    > pro and some Linux machines.
    >
    > I have a IpCop box with red (modem) and green and Orange
    > interfaces It does my DNS for my network the http and ftp
    > stuff.
    >
    > I have a machine that has quite a few webpages as well as
    > a mp3 server streamer and mail server.
    >
    > the Problem machine has WinXP pro win98 and Linux, The
    > win98 and linux work properly as one would expect.
    > However WinXP has shagged its self in the folling way.
    > windows networking SMB is ok tcpip proticals like ftp
    > http work with ip numbers like http://192.168.2.1
    > http://192.168.2.30:9000/stream.mp3
    >
    > but http://mongo4.mongo.cooze.co.nz &
    > http://orac.cooze.co.nz:9000/stream.mp3 dont work these
    > names are on the green side of the network and are not
    > accessibul from the red side. they work from any machine
    > on the green.
    >
    > So my problem looks like Name resolution from my dns
    > server or so I thought. so I thought lets eddit the hosts
    > file to point to some of the machines in my network and
    > it did not work. So at some stage I did the virus and
    > spyware check and Nada nuthing found.
    >
    > So google was employed and the best sujestion was disable
    > turn off uninstall 3rd party personal firewalls. so after
    > a unstall of kyro and a reboot things seemed to work
    > better.
    >
    > But Alas it was not to be. The fault seems to be
    > intermittent. so I check and swap cables arround I moved
    > the ipcop box clocer the best I could come up with was un
    > plugging the green ethernet from Ipcop and re incerting
    > and things would work ok for a short time as well as
    > changing the Ip address and so forth but nothing seems to
    > be perminant.
    >
    > Now I am back to google and getting no good results. My
    > Xp machine has all the updates and is running SP2. I was
    > thinking mabey the tcpip stack is hosed or somthing is
    > redirecting the dns requests I was thinking I should try
    > a packet sniffer or even see what tcpdmp -t eht0 from the
    > ip cop box shows up.
    >
    > sugestions advice on where I should be looking I am 90%
    > certen It is not hard ware fault as 98 and linux dont
    > seem to have the problem on the same machine using the
    > same ipaddress card and port on the swich I do have a hub
    > I can use If nessory.

    What have you set the DNS to?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 24, 2005

  3. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    >> Been goolgiling about this one and getting poor results.
    >> Now I know I could wipe the probermatic partition and re
    >> load windows XP and It will be fixed but I don't realy
    >> have the time.
    >>
    >> My network consists of some windows boxes win98 and WinXP
    >> pro and some Linux machines.
    >>
    >> I have a IpCop box with red (modem) and green and Orange
    >> interfaces It does my DNS for my network the http and ftp
    >> stuff.
    >>
    >> I have a machine that has quite a few webpages as well as
    >> a mp3 server streamer and mail server.
    >>
    >> the Problem machine has WinXP pro win98 and Linux, The
    >> win98 and linux work properly as one would expect.
    >> However WinXP has shagged its self in the folling way. windows
    >> networking SMB is ok tcpip proticals like ftp
    >> http work with ip numbers like http://192.168.2.1
    >> http://192.168.2.30:9000/stream.mp3
    >>
    >> but http://mongo4.mongo.cooze.co.nz &
    >> http://orac.cooze.co.nz:9000/stream.mp3 dont work these
    >> names are on the green side of the network and are not
    >> accessibul from the red side. they work from any machine
    >> on the green.
    >>
    >> So my problem looks like Name resolution from my dns
    >> server or so I thought. so I thought lets eddit the hosts
    >> file to point to some of the machines in my network and
    >> it did not work. So at some stage I did the virus and
    >> spyware check and Nada nuthing found.
    >>
    >> So google was employed and the best sujestion was disable
    >> turn off uninstall 3rd party personal firewalls. so after
    >> a unstall of kyro and a reboot things seemed to work
    >> better.
    >>
    >> But Alas it was not to be. The fault seems to be
    >> intermittent. so I check and swap cables arround I moved
    >> the ipcop box clocer the best I could come up with was un
    >> plugging the green ethernet from Ipcop and re incerting
    >> and things would work ok for a short time as well as
    >> changing the Ip address and so forth but nothing seems to
    >> be perminant.
    >>
    >> Now I am back to google and getting no good results. My
    >> Xp machine has all the updates and is running SP2. I was
    >> thinking mabey the tcpip stack is hosed or somthing is
    >> redirecting the dns requests I was thinking I should try
    >> a packet sniffer or even see what tcpdmp -t eht0 from the
    >> ip cop box shows up.
    >>
    >> sugestions advice on where I should be looking I am 90%
    >> certen It is not hard ware fault as 98 and linux dont
    >> seem to have the problem on the same machine using the
    >> same ipaddress card and port on the swich I do have a hub
    >> I can use If nessory.
    >>

    > What have you set the DNS to?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    dns points from all machines to ipcop box. On ipcop box host entries
    have been added to point to machines on my network. When fault is in
    full swing even getting outside of the network to the real internet is
    impossable but if i type a ip adress in browser i get the approcat web
    page. Ip copbox is using orcons dns to know where to go, when the
    machine xp machine is faulty the other machine on network work fine.
    Also other operaton systems on this machine work fine.

    Robert Cooze, Oct 24, 2005
  4. Robert Cooze

    Enkidu Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:
> [...]
    >>> somthing is redirecting the dns requests I was
    >>> thinking I should try a packet sniffer or even see
    >>> what tcpdmp -t eht0 from the ip cop box shows up.
    >>>
    >>> sugestions advice on where I should be looking I am
    >>> 90% certen It is not hard ware fault as 98 and linux
    >>> dont seem to have the problem on the same machine
    >>> using the same ipaddress card and port on the swich I
    >>> do have a hub I can use If nessory.
    >>>

    >> What have you set the DNS to?

    > dns points from all machines to ipcop box. On ipcop box
    > host entries have been added to point to machines on my
    > network. When fault is in full swing even getting
    > outside of the network to the real internet is impossable
    > but if i type a ip adress in browser i get the approcat
    > web page. Ip copbox is using orcons dns to know where to
    > go, when the machine xp machine is faulty the other
    > machine on network work fine. Also other operaton systems

    Definitely a DNS problem then. One common mistake is to put
    *both* the internal DNS and the ISP's DNS into the network
    configuration of a client, but you didn't do that.

    I'm not familiar with ipcop, but I think that it is unlikely
    that it would resolve DNS queries to it from its host file.
    But maybe that IS the way it works. I'd check.

    Is ipcop acting as DNS proxy or as a real DNS? If it is a
    real DNS you should be able to add the DMZ and LAN entries
    to the ipcop DNS. If it is a proxy it will just be passing
    requests to Orcon's DNS servers. In which case, problems.

    Have you considered having an internal DNS on one or other
    of the boxes, if ipcop is only being a proxy?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 24, 2005
  5. Robert Cooze

    EMB Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > Definitely a DNS problem then. One common mistake is to put
    > *both* the internal DNS and the ISP's DNS into the network
    > configuration of a client, but you didn't do that.
    >
    > I'm not familiar with ipcop, but I think that it is unlikely
    > that it would resolve DNS queries to it from its host file. But maybe
    > that IS the way it works. I'd check.

    That is the way it works. And it works well for me. My only thought is
    what version is being run - I had various randomly occurring issues with
    1.4.8 but 1.4.9 seems stable.

    > Is ipcop acting as DNS proxy or as a real DNS? If it is a
    > real DNS you should be able to add the DMZ and LAN entries
    > to the ipcop DNS. If it is a proxy it will just be passing
    > requests to Orcon's DNS servers. In which case, problems.

    IPCop acts only as a DNS proxy, but checks entries from it's hosts files
    before it does an external lookup.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 24, 2005
  6. Robert Cooze

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Oct 24, 2005
  7. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Robert Cooze wrote:

    >>> What have you set the DNS to?

    >> dns points from all machines to ipcop box. On ipcop box host entries
    >> have been added to point to machines on my network. When fault is in
    >> full swing even getting outside of the network to the real internet is
    >> impossable
    >> but if i type a ip adress in browser i get the approcat web page. Ip
    >> copbox is using orcons dns to know where to
    >> go, when the machine xp machine is faulty the other machine on network
    >> work fine. Also other operaton systems
    >> on this machine work fine.
    >>

    > Definitely a DNS problem then. One common mistake is to put
    > *both* the internal DNS and the ISP's DNS into the network
    > configuration of a client, but you didn't do that.
    >
    > I'm not familiar with ipcop, but I think that it is unlikely
    > that it would resolve DNS queries to it from its host file. But maybe
    > that IS the way it works. I'd check.
    >
    > Is ipcop acting as DNS proxy or as a real DNS? If it is a
    > real DNS you should be able to add the DMZ and LAN entries
    > to the ipcop DNS. If it is a proxy it will just be passing
    > requests to Orcon's DNS servers. In which case, problems.
    >
    > Have you considered having an internal DNS on one or other
    > of the boxes, if ipcop is only being a proxy?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Yes I can use another box to do dns If I have to but all other boxes on
    the network and other oses on this computer work ok it is just the XPpro
    install problem,

    Robert Cooze, Oct 25, 2005
  8. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Definitely a DNS problem then. One common mistake is to put
    >> *both* the internal DNS and the ISP's DNS into the network
    >> configuration of a client, but you didn't do that.
    >>
    >> I'm not familiar with ipcop, but I think that it is unlikely
    >> that it would resolve DNS queries to it from its host file. But maybe
    >> that IS the way it works. I'd check.

    > That is the way it works. And it works well for me. My only thought is
    > what version is being run - I had various randomly occurring issues with
    > 1.4.8 but 1.4.9 seems stable.

    I am running 1.4.9 I had no problems with 1.4.8

    >> Is ipcop acting as DNS proxy or as a real DNS? If it is a
    >> real DNS you should be able to add the DMZ and LAN entries
    >> to the ipcop DNS. If it is a proxy it will just be passing
    >> requests to Orcon's DNS servers. In which case, problems.

    > IPCop acts only as a DNS proxy, but checks entries from it's hosts files
    > before it does an external lookup.

    I use the hosts file in Ip cop to tell the computers on my network where
    everything is on my network as I guess that was the design of it all.

    Robert Cooze, Oct 25, 2005
  9. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    >> Been goolgiling about this one and getting poor results. Now I know I
    >> could wipe the probermatic partition and re load windows XP and It
    >> will be fixed but I don't realy have the time.
    >>

    > MAybe this?
    >
    > http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/dns_cache.htm#disable_neg_cache>

    Now that sounds promersing I have also tracked down a program called
    WinsockXPFix.exe now the perplexing thing is the computer seems to run
    ok from a start up or a change of users only after a long length of time
    sitting loged in but not being used it seems to stop working I am trying
    this program first. going to give it a few days to see if It has fixed
    anything.

    Robert Cooze, Oct 25, 2005
  10. Robert Cooze

    EMB Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:

    > Now that sounds promersing I have also tracked down a program called
    > WinsockXPFix.exe now the perplexing thing is the computer seems to run
    > ok from a start up or a change of users only after a long length of time
    > sitting loged in but not being used it seems to stop working I am trying
    > this program first. going to give it a few days to see if It has fixed
    > anything.

    Can I also suggest that you ask in the IPCop support forums - there's a
    fair chance of you getting a useful reply there.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 25, 2005
  11. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    >> Now that sounds promersing I have also tracked down a program called
    >> WinsockXPFix.exe now the perplexing thing is the computer seems to run
    >> ok from a start up or a change of users only after a long length of
    >> time sitting loged in but not being used it seems to stop working I am
    >> trying this program first. going to give it a few days to see if It
    >> has fixed anything.

    > Can I also suggest that you ask in the IPCop support forums - there's a
    > fair chance of you getting a useful reply there.

    Touching the wooden support bracket for the moneter. Windows Xp seems to
    be playing nicer with the rest of the network. It can acces the DNS from
    the ipcop box. the rest of the network has been working with out any
    problems.

    Robert Cooze, Oct 26, 2005