    with the computer as I've tested it on the downstairs phone line and it
    works fine.

    Any ideas?

    Young Man, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Young Man

    KewlKiwi Guest

    Young Man wrote:
    > I have two computers, one upstairs and the other downstairs. The downstairs
    > computer has no problems connecting to my new UBS service from World-Net and
    > runs like a charm. However my upstairs computer only connects sometimes.

    Your computer has Acrophobia

    KewlKiwi, Mar 18, 2005

  3. Young Man said the following on 18/03/2005 6:16 p.m.:
    > I have two computers, one upstairs and the other downstairs. The downstairs
    > computer has no problems connecting to my new UBS service from World-Net and
    > runs like a charm. However my upstairs computer only connects sometimes. I
    > had this exact same problem when I was with Orcon as well. Basically the
    > little ADSL diagnostic tool in the systray blinks yellow for a while and
    > then shows red. Previously when I was with Jetstart I had no problems
    > whatsoever connecting either computer to the internet. There is no problem
    > with the computer as I've tested it on the downstairs phone line and it
    > works fine.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Can you define your problem a little bit clearer.

    As i understand it from what you have said you have two ADSL routers
    connected to 1 phone line?

    Now a little definition in how you have these systems connected, what
    type of router/s and so on will probably get you some good assistance.

    Collector»NZ, Mar 18, 2005
  4. Young Man

    Young Man Guest

    > Can you define your problem a little bit clearer.

    Sure. :)

    > As i understand it from what you have said you have two ADSL routers
    > connected to 1 phone line?
    >
    > Now a little definition in how you have these systems connected, what type
    > of router/s and so on will probably get you some good assistance.

    Ok, I have the exact same DSL modem installed on both machines (Nokia Ni200
    IIRC). As I said both machines worked without any problems when I was using
    World Net's jet start product. Naturally I only use one computer at a time
    to dial in.

    Now I have phone 4 phone jacks at my place. Two of them have phones plugged
    into them and two I use for the internet. I am guessing that for some
    unknown reason there is some issue with the signal strength upstairs. In the
    past if both computers were plugged in (not turned on) then I could still
    connect to the internet using the other computer but at a lower bitrate i.e.
    the other computer plugged in would somehow deteriorate the signal (or
    perhaps have some other more sinister effect!). I have run extension cords
    from one other telephone jack upstairs but I still had the connections
    issues.

    Unfortunately that's about all the info I've got. : -( Please ask any
    questions that may allow me to give you a bit more information.

    Thanks

    Young Man, Mar 18, 2005
  5. Young Man said the following on 18/03/2005 7:42 p.m.:
    >>Can you define your problem a little bit clearer.

    > Sure. :)
    >

    >>As i understand it from what you have said you have two ADSL routers
    >>connected to 1 phone line?
    >>
    >>Now a little definition in how you have these systems connected, what type
    >>of router/s and so on will probably get you some good assistance.

    > Ok, I have the exact same DSL modem installed on both machines (Nokia Ni200
    > IIRC). As I said both machines worked without any problems when I was using
    > World Net's jet start product. Naturally I only use one computer at a time
    > to dial in.
    >
    > Now I have phone 4 phone jacks at my place. Two of them have phones plugged
    > into them and two I use for the internet. I am guessing that for some
    > unknown reason there is some issue with the signal strength upstairs. In the
    > past if both computers were plugged in (not turned on) then I could still
    > connect to the internet using the other computer but at a lower bitrate i.e.
    > the other computer plugged in would somehow deteriorate the signal (or
    > perhaps have some other more sinister effect!). I have run extension cords
    > from one other telephone jack upstairs but I still had the connections
    > issues.
    >
    > Unfortunately that's about all the info I've got. : -( Please ask any
    > questions that may allow me to give you a bit more information.
    >
    > Thanks

    I would recoment that you get an ethernet ADSL router and network the
    machines.

    NI 200 internal modems are the pits and there performance can vary
    substantially. Any change in line quality can cause them to drop out
    completely. (Once an ant colection in the BT socket was enough to stop
    one working, took me ages to find the fault).

    Collector»NZ, Mar 18, 2005
  6. Young Man

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:16:50 +1300, Young Man wrote:

    > I have two computers, one upstairs and the other downstairs. The downstairs
    > computer has no problems connecting to my new UBS service from World-Net and
    > runs like a charm. However my upstairs computer only connects sometimes. I
    > had this exact same problem when I was with Orcon as well. Basically the
    > little ADSL diagnostic tool in the systray blinks yellow for a while and
    > then shows red. Previously when I was with Jetstart I had no problems
    > whatsoever connecting either computer to the internet. There is no problem
    > with the computer as I've tested it on the downstairs phone line and it
    > works fine.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Ethernet.

    Gordon, Mar 18, 2005
  7. Young Man

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:11:33 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > I would recoment that you get an ethernet ADSL router and network the
    > machines.

    Ah, so you are suggesting a LAN. The bulls eye seems to me missing from
    the target, wonder why?

    Gentle people, why is the OP going this route? Do you?

    > NI 200 internal modems are the pits and there performance can vary
    > substantially.

    Are these the internal version of the ni500? For the ni500 was not one of
    Ms Nokia's better products.

    Google away, and landfill as you desire.

    > Any change in line quality can cause them to drop out
    > completely. (Once an ant colection in the BT socket was enough to stop
    > one working, took me ages to find the fault).

    No to mention the temp at which they were at. Yes personal experience
    speaking here.

    Gordon, Mar 18, 2005
  8. Young Man

    Philip D'Ath Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    >>I have two computers, one upstairs and the other downstairs. The downstairs
    >>computer has no problems connecting to my new UBS service from World-Net and
    >>runs like a charm. However my upstairs computer only connects sometimes. I
    >>had this exact same problem when I was with Orcon as well. Basically the
    >>little ADSL diagnostic tool in the systray blinks yellow for a while and
    >>then shows red. Previously when I was with Jetstart I had no problems
    >>whatsoever connecting either computer to the internet. There is no problem
    >>with the computer as I've tested it on the downstairs phone line and it
    >>works fine.

    I'm confused.

    Each computer has its own separate DSL line, or they are both plugged
    into the same DSL line?

    Philip D'Ath, Mar 18, 2005
  9. Young Man

    Young Man Guest

    "Philip D'Ath" <> wrote in message
    > I'm confused.
    >
    > Each computer has its own separate DSL line, or they are both plugged into
    > the same DSL line?

    They both use the one telephone line but are plugged through different
    telephone sockets.

    Young Man, Mar 18, 2005
  10. Young Man

    Young Man Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Ethernet.

    Yes that is an option but the problem is that the two computer are very far
    apart and I will no be able to run cables in a sensible way. Wireless is an
    option but that's really costly.

    Young Man, Mar 18, 2005
  11. Young Man

    Young Man Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > I would recoment that you get an ethernet ADSL router and network the
    > machines.

    Yes I've thought about this but the problem is that I have no sensible way
    of running cables. I'd have to drill holes all over the show. The two modems
    used to work for me just fine before and it's got to be something to do with
    the weaker signal strength with UBS.

    > NI 200 internal modems are the pits and there performance can vary
    > substantially. Any change in line quality can cause them to drop out
    > completely. (Once an ant colection in the BT socket was enough to stop one
    > working, took me ages to find the fault).

    I am not sure about this. Is it worth it buying a new modem just to test
    this? Remember if I bring the upstairs computer down and plug it into the
    phone line downstairs then it works fine.

    Another possibility could be that something's "gone wrong" with the upstairs
    telephone lines just when I changed over to Bitstream ... but what ... and
    how do I fix it?

    Young Man, Mar 18, 2005
  12. Young Man

    EMB Guest

    Young Man wrote:
    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ethernet.

    > Yes that is an option but the problem is that the two computer are very far
    > apart and I will no be able to run cables in a sensible way. Wireless is an
    > option but that's really costly.

    Wireless ethernet

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 18, 2005
  13. Young Man

    Young Man Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Wireless ethernet

    Indeed ... you got a few bucks you don't need? ;-)

    Young Man, Mar 18, 2005
  14. Young Man

    EMB Guest

    Young Man wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Wireless ethernet

    > Indeed ... you got a few bucks you don't need? ;-)

    Not any more - this evening I donated them to some poor bugger who's
    house burnt down.

    But staying on topic - wireless is probably the best solution to your
    problem and you should be up and running for under $200 foir a router &
    card, or about $110 for 2 cards to network your 2 PCs to share the ADSL
    connection that already works.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 18, 2005
  15. Young Man

    colinco Guest

    In article Young Man says...
    > I am not sure about this. Is it worth it buying a new modem just to test
    > this? Remember if I bring the upstairs computer down and plug it into the
    > phone line downstairs then it works fine.

    Have you tried taking the downstairs computer up? All you've proved so
    far is that the upstairs one could be less efficient.

    colinco, Mar 18, 2005
  16. Young Man

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:50:07 +1300, Young Man wrote:

    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >> I would recoment that you get an ethernet ADSL router and network the
    >> machines.

    > Yes I've thought about this but the problem is that I have no sensible way
    > of running cables. I'd have to drill holes all over the show.

    Wireless.

    The point is get the connection to the Internet and then LAN it.

    Gordon, Mar 19, 2005