We bartered for Paris lodgings

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Barbara & Gene, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Relax, this is not a commercial message. CASE HISTORY:

    We rented an apartment in Paris last May that had been posted by an
    online rental agent. The apartment's owner observed that the agency,
    which reps many Paris apartments, shot a group of interior pictures,
    added some descriptive copy and plugged the listing into their
    website. When a tenant signs up, the agency collects 5 percent of the
    fee. No advertising or promotion support is involved. "Why don't you
    make your own website and shoot your own superior photos? Why don't
    you post your offering on newsgroups every couple of months?", we
    asked.
    "Because I don't know how!" said the apartment owner.

    "It's easy," and we made him www.ile-st-louis.com, paying $5.41 for
    the domain registration and a bit more for the hosting. We hadn't had
    the opportunity to shoot proper pictures but we did have enough
    souvenir snaps, shot casually, to slap together a site. Now we're
    returning to the Paris apartment October 5 to reshoot everything (with
    proper lighting - www.pixsnap.com/normal.htm). In exchange, we're
    getting two weeks FREE!.

    Here's my point (at long last!). There are Vacation Exchange clubs and
    agencies all over the globe. But not everyone can participate. Timing
    can be a problem. Sometimes location or capacity is a problem. When we
    had our place on Cape Cod we swapped it with a Marin County family and
    it worked out great. But we've left the Cape and would not swap our
    present dwelling because it's just too full of personal clutter.

    We'd love to go to Ireland, Russia, Egypt, Scotland, Sicily, Provence,
    Italy, Greece, Seattle, Jackson Hole, WY, and a few dozen other
    places. Since I'm retired and on a limited budget, it would be nice if
    we could get to visit any or all of them by bartering a website for a
    period of lodgings.

    We think there are others who have some photographic skills and basic
    site building ability who would love to barter for accommodations. We
    think there are people who have under-utilized dwellings who would
    love to see them produce revenue via the internet. (If you check the
    bottom of the Paris website we built, you'll see that it has had 286
    hits since being built in mid-June and has yielded three different
    sets of tenants.)

    If this sounds good to you, zap us an email. We've just invested
    another $5.41 and registered a website, www.holidaybarter.com, and
    sent it to a free hosting outfit. It's to be used at no cost by any
    and all who'd like to trade their photographic/web-building skills for
    lodgings and by those whose farmhouse in Tuscany or penthouse is Rio
    is awaiting occupancy. This is to be strictly non-commercial. We'll
    filter all posts that are suspicious. For providing free hosting,
    Netfirms.com imposes banner ads. If holidaybarter.com takes off, we'll
    move it to an inexpensive, ad-free host.

    Let us know where you'd like to go or what lodgings you have to offer.
    Will get back to you when we return from Paris ... maybe before, since
    the apartment is online.

    Sayonara,
    Barbara & Gene

    Barbara & Gene, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Barbara & Gene

    Mark Roberts Guest

    (Barbara & Gene) wrote:

    >Relax, this is not a commercial message.

    Riiiiight...

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Barbara & Gene

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Mark Roberts wrote:

    > (Barbara & Gene) wrote:
    >
    > >Relax, this is not a commercial message.

    > Riiiiight...
    >
    > --
    > Mark Roberts
    > Photography and writing
    > www.robertstech.com

    Yeah, they had me fooled too, I thought they were doing it out of the
    good of their hearts.
    --
    Paul. (Next in line , Close one eye, Just walk by)
    Not what it seems...

    Paul Heslop, Sep 23, 2003
  4. BUSTED, er....I think. ???

    Your website describes you as a writer (albiet a victim of plagiarism).
    Why waste words when you can say it all with, "Riiiiight."
    Witty enough to get my attention, yessiree! Is it possible that you have
    a thought or more to go with your word?

    What is suspect about our post? Nothing is for sale, nothing is
    being charged. The ad banners are incidental because they
    are the compensation the free host service requires, but
    otherwise there is no promotional component. We're
    inviting people to pass their objectives and requirements
    through us so we can match them intelligently and keep
    email addresses away from the spammers.

    Despite this, you detected our dark motives. Spell 'em, writer.

    Now don't go away mad. At least you're smarter than
    the bloke who posted below having digested all of the
    abstract implications of your word.

    In the land of the blind it's still possible to know it's
    a duck when it quacks.

    That's a meta4.tag.

    Barbara & Gene

    Barbara& Gene, Sep 23, 2003
  5. BUSTED, er....I think. ???

    Your website describes you as a writer (albeit a victim of plagiarism).
    Why waste words when you can say it all with, "Riiiiight."
    Witty enough to get my attention, yessiree! Is it possible that you have
    a thought to go with your word?

    What is suspect about our post? Nothing is for sale, nothing is
    being charged. The ad banners are incidental because they
    are the compensation the free host service requires, but
    otherwise there is no promotional component. We're
    inviting people to pass their objectives and requirements
    through us so we can match them intelligently and keep
    email addresses away from the spammers.

    Despite this, you detected our dark motives. Spell 'em, writer.

    Now don't go away mad. At least you're smarter than
    the bloke who posted below having digested all the
    abstract implications of your word.

    In the land of the blind it's still possible to determine that it's
    a duck if it quacks.

    Barbara& Gene, Sep 23, 2003
  6. "Barbara& Gene" <> wrote in message news:p...

    You message was spam, there is not question about that. When you get annoyed because your mailbox is full of spam, remember you are
    one of them.

    --
    Michael Culley

    Michael Culley, Sep 23, 2003
  7. Barbara & Gene

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Barbara& Gene wrote:

    > BUSTED, er....I think. ???
    >
    > Your website describes you as a writer (albiet a victim of plagiarism).
    > Why waste words when you can say it all with, "Riiiiight."
    > Witty enough to get my attention, yessiree! Is it possible that you have
    > a thought or more to go with your word?
    >
    > What is suspect about our post? Nothing is for sale, nothing is
    > being charged. The ad banners are incidental because they
    > are the compensation the free host service requires, but
    > otherwise there is no promotional component. We're
    > inviting people to pass their objectives and requirements
    > through us so we can match them intelligently and keep
    > email addresses away from the spammers.
    >
    > Despite this, you detected our dark motives. Spell 'em, writer.
    >
    > Now don't go away mad. At least you're smarter than
    > the bloke who posted below having digested all of the
    > abstract implications of your word.
    >
    > In the land of the blind it's still possible to know it's
    > a duck when it quacks.
    >
    > That's a meta4.tag.
    >
    > Barbara & Gene

    spammers, but touchy too :O)

    Paul Heslop, Sep 23, 2003
  8. Barbara & Gene

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    You are a miserable little twit aren't you? While you're looking at the
    spelling of Riiiight - you might look at your own signature, Barbara& -- is
    that some sort of hip hop version of Barbara Anne? Is Barbara the way you
    usually spell it at all - or don't you know. Are you someone not named
    Barbara& Gene at all but yet another PITA spammer making up new identities
    as he gets the old ones killfiled. Or are you just incredibly stupid? I
    vote for the latter.
    The complaints should be directed to .

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 24, 2003
  9. Barbara & Gene

    Giorgis Guest

    I don't know, we have become touchy with spammers.
    This email was written specificaly. Spammers churn out machine created
    posts.
    Give the guy a break. You don't have to do business.

    Giorgis, Sep 24, 2003
  10. (Barbara & Gene) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Relax, this is not a commercial message. CASE HISTORY:

    Go away spammer.

    Steven Scharf, Sep 24, 2003

    Steven Scharf, Sep 24, 2003
  12. Barbara & Gene

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Which of the 4 newsgroups spammed by this particular lowlife are you on?
    This is spam. You don't have to see it as spam but it is spam. Spam is spam.
    Twits are twits. Goodbye twit.

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 24, 2003
  13. Barbara & Gene

    Azzz1588 Guest

    In article <>,
    (Barbara & Gene) writes:

    >Relax, this is not a commercial message. CASE HISTORY:

    Spammer !!!!

    That, and you actually went to france to do that.
    What a loser you are. Shame you didnt die in the heat wave
    over there !!!

    Wnat an easy way to make $$$ Go do it the old fashion way,
    Dont ply us with your fancy garbage please...................

    Azzz1588, Oct 3, 2003