    secure enough.

    Is there a workaround? Or should I wire access points to my router ?

    Lorenzo

    Lorenzo Sandini, Jun 1, 2007

  2. Lorenzo Sandini

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Repeater mode halves the signal since it has to repeat in both
    directions. The 655 (Draft N) here has a much better range than the
    4300. What is the environment you are trying to cover?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 1, 2007

  3. Barb Bowman wrote:
    > Repeater mode halves the signal since it has to repeat in both
    > directions. The 655 (Draft N) here has a much better range than the
    > 4300. What is the environment you are trying to cover?

    That is what I thought too, but it is not what I observe. My house has 2
    floors, and the DIR-655 is upstairs. The signal downstairs is reported
    as 300Mbps and "good", but when looking at the "Status" page in the
    router's configuration page, the downstairs WLAN clients are in
    36-54Mbps mode, with a signal ranging from 15 to 35%, sometimes lower.

    I still haven't solved my problem. When I plug a D-link 108Mbps WLAN
    card in my laptop, I get 54 Mbps (as expected) and tranfer rates of 2.5
    MB/sec from an upstairs computer (wired to the router). When I replace
    the old NIC with the DWA-645 NIC, my connection speed is reported to be
    300Mbps, but transfers are slow as hell, 500-800kb/sec, from the same
    computer as before, in the same spot.

    I am still waiting for my DWA-652 to arrive, assuming the DWA-645 is
    faulty, but when in a short range upstairs, the DWA-645 is able to
    transfer up to 25MB/sec or more, so it's working correctly.

    The DGL-4300 gave me excellent coverage on both floors (with a M60AT
    antenna), with 108Mbps signal rated "good" also, and up to 6MB/sec
    downstairs, so 10 times better than my 802.11n draft setup.

    I thought I could give a try at using it as a range extender for downstairs.

    Lorenzo

    Lorenzo Sandini, Jun 1, 2007
  4. Lorenzo Sandini

    Barb Bowman Guest

    What kind of construction is your house? You say two floors, but
    what else is there? HVAC ducts? concrete? big metal objects?

    Be sure you get the latest drivers from Windows Update. The newest
    one is from 5/11 for Vista.

    Barb Bowman, Jun 1, 2007
  5. Nope, wood construction. Only big object is the fireplace and the chimney.

    But again:
    - DGL-4300 and the DWL-G650 card, I get 6Mb/sec
    - DIR-655 and the DWA-645 card, I get 600kb/sec
    - DIR-655 and the DWL-G650 card, I get 2.5Gb/sec

    Same house, same location for computers and routers. Using Windows XP
    with latest updates, no firewalls, and WPA2.

    Lorenzo

    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    Lorenzo Sandini, Jun 1, 2007
  6. Lorenzo Sandini

    Barb Bowman Guest

    and you have applied the 1.03 firmware to the 655 router?

    Barb Bowman, Jun 1, 2007
  7. Hi
    The Buffalo's line of Wireless Router does WDS, and can be fitted with
    firmware that does WPA in WDS mode
    It is also providing very stable strong signal (it has special high power RF
    amplifier), and it is less expensive than other quality End-User hardware.
    Or keep your system as is and configure the second Router as an Access
    Point. Connect one long Cat5e between the two, and place the second Wireless
    Router and the best location for extended wireless support. In most cases it
    is a much better solution than WDS/Repeater.
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Otherwise.
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 1, 2007
  8. hi,

    I have just finished configure the second Router (Linksys WAG300N) as an
    Access
    Point. Connect one long Cat5e between the LAN1 of the Acc. Point & LAN of
    the WiFi Router(Wireless-G) , and place the second Wireless Router at the
    best location for extended wireless support.

    The only problem with this setup is that the signal is too low is the
    distance is greater than 6-7 meters (first floor LAN &WiFi LAN & basement
    office Wifi card(Wireless-G Plus) LAN PC)

    The online connection speed however is extrememly good & rock solid.

    cheers

    =?Utf-8?B?TWloYWxha2lz?=, Jun 6, 2007