    the news at
    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/9977B9942B318DA0CC2571A00015525A
    The guy who has set this up, I seem to recall his name before somewhere.

    Vista, Jul 4, 2006

  2. Vista

    lurker Guest

    Vista wrote:
    >> The guy who has set this up, I seem to recall his name before somewhere. <<

    WDANZ is apparently owned by the same person who owns 1301 Holdings
    Limited (formerly Domain Name Management Services Ltd.) Both companies
    are registered at the same address - Omega Street, North Harbour, under
    the name Dennis Arthur Smith.

    The Domain Name Commisioner had something to say about DNMS in their
    June 2005 newsletter - ( 'Domain name registrar de-authorised'
    http://tinyurl.com/n9kxl refers):
    >> "Overall, we're well served by .nz registrars and they play a key role in the broader .nz system. In this one instance, however, a registrar has operated their business contrary to the guiding principles, including fair and transparent market competition, and we have had to revoke its registration," Ms Monahan said. <<

    Some thoughts:

    - Will the members of WDANZ be able to elect a leader? WDANZ is a
    private company owned by one guy. (source companies.govt.nz)

    - the leader must be seen to be above reproach, maybe Dennis isn't the
    man for the job.

    lurker, Jul 4, 2006

  3. Vista

    Vista Guest

    "lurker" <> wrote in message
    > Vista wrote:
    >>> The guy who has set this up, I seem to recall his name before somewhere.
    >>> <<

    > WDANZ is apparently owned by the same person who owns 1301 Holdings
    > Limited (formerly Domain Name Management Services Ltd.) Both companies
    > are registered at the same address - Omega Street, North Harbour, under
    > the name Dennis Arthur Smith.
    >
    > The Domain Name Commisioner had something to say about DNMS in their
    > June 2005 newsletter - ( 'Domain name registrar de-authorised'
    > http://tinyurl.com/n9kxl refers):
    >>> "Overall, we're well served by .nz registrars and they play a key role
    >>> in the broader .nz system. In this one instance, however, a registrar
    >>> has operated their business contrary to the guiding principles,
    >>> including fair and transparent market competition, and we have had to
    >>> revoke its registration," Ms Monahan said. <<

    > Some thoughts:
    >
    > - Will the members of WDANZ be able to elect a leader? WDANZ is a
    > private company owned by one guy. (source companies.govt.nz)
    >
    > - the leader must be seen to be above reproach, maybe Dennis isn't the
    > man for the job.

    Thought I had heard the name of the owner before.

    Vista, Jul 4, 2006
  4. Vista

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    lurker wrote:
    > Vista wrote:
    >>> The guy who has set this up, I seem to recall his name before somewhere. <<

    > WDANZ is apparently owned by the same person who owns 1301 Holdings
    > Limited (formerly Domain Name Management Services Ltd.) Both companies
    > are registered at the same address - Omega Street, North Harbour, under
    > the name Dennis Arthur Smith.
    >
    > The Domain Name Commisioner had something to say about DNMS in their
    > June 2005 newsletter - ( 'Domain name registrar de-authorised'
    > http://tinyurl.com/n9kxl refers):
    >>> "Overall, we're well served by .nz registrars and they play a key role in the broader .nz system. In this one instance, however, a registrar has operated their business contrary to the guiding principles, including fair and transparent market competition, and we have had to revoke its registration," Ms Monahan said. <<

    > Some thoughts:
    >
    > - Will the members of WDANZ be able to elect a leader? WDANZ is a
    > private company owned by one guy. (source companies.govt.nz)
    >
    > - the leader must be seen to be above reproach, maybe Dennis isn't the
    > man for the job.

    I agree, while the concept is a good one, I have issues with it being a
    commercial enterprise under the ultimate control of 1 guy.

    I'd like to know more.

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey

    Mark Remfrey, Jul 4, 2006
  5. Vista

    Guest

    Hi All,

    Due to some heated discussion on the PHPUG regarding this very issue
    (how dare a private company claim to represent all New Zealand web
    developers?) a number of people have gotten their collective a into g
    and are starting a non-profit incorporated society for NZ Web people.

    For more information, subscribe to the mailing list - send an email to
    with "subscribe talk" in the body. No obligation,
    feel free to come along and ask questions.

    Cheers,

    Nik

    Mark Remfrey wrote:
    > lurker wrote:

    > > WDANZ is apparently owned by the same person who owns 1301 Holdings
    > > Limited (formerly Domain Name Management Services Ltd.) Both companies
    > > are registered at the same address - Omega Street, North Harbour, under
    > > the name Dennis Arthur Smith.
    > >
    > > The Domain Name Commisioner had something to say about DNMS in their
    > > June 2005 newsletter - ( 'Domain name registrar de-authorised'
    > > http://tinyurl.com/n9kxl refers):

    > > Some thoughts:
    > >
    > > - Will the members of WDANZ be able to elect a leader? WDANZ is a
    > > private company owned by one guy. (source companies.govt.nz)
    > >
    > > - the leader must be seen to be above reproach, maybe Dennis isn't the
    > > man for the job.
    > >

    > I agree, while the concept is a good one, I have issues with it being a
    > commercial enterprise under the ultimate control of 1 guy.
    >
    > I'd like to know more.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Mark Remfrey

    , Jul 5, 2006
  6. Vista

    Vista Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >I received a flyer in my mailbox today advertising this new organisation
    >called the Web Developers Association of New Zealand . Anyone developers
    >here interested in this organisation. I notice that it has been picked up
    >in the news at
    >http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/9977B9942B318DA0CC2571A00015525A
    > The guy who has set this up, I seem to recall his name before somewhere.

    Aardvark did an article on this. Unfortionately he didn't pick up on the
    questionable past of it's owner. Aardvark forums have been down all day, so
    I couldn't post to it.

    Vista, Jul 5, 2006