    be the latest. Would an ATA board help? What can I do or must I just
    bear this slow boot with intervention problem?

    Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Sean Cleary

    Geoff Guest

    Sean Cleary wrote:
    > I got a used Dell, a Optiplex Gx1 from Silicon Salvage in Orange
    > County, CA.
    > I got a WD600 from Fries, and the system came with a 40GB hard drive.
    > I have tried jumpers, I have tried the EZ-Bios, I have tried both
    > drives. I still get a first drive not recognized type of error message
    > when I boot up. I have to push F1 to get the system to work, and it
    > does not always recognize the first parttion.
    >
    > Is there a solution to this? It comes with the A10 bios, and that may
    > be the latest. Would an ATA board help? What can I do or must I just
    > bear this slow boot with intervention problem?
    >
    > Sean Cleary

    your pc should take this with no problem
    and don't use ez-bios, don't even go near it

    what does the error message say

    Geoff, Nov 17, 2003

  3. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    David Hough <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Sean
    > I had a Dell P2 Optiplex that somehow trashed out the IDE driver. I
    > blew it away and loaded it with W2k which had drivers that would work.
    > Or if you have the Dell support disk for that machine, it might have
    > the W98 drivers on it. Does the CDrom work?

    machine boots up.
    Dell screen comes up
    Dell bios bar goes from left to right
    Dell screen goes away

    and with or without the EZ-Bios, with hard drive bios noting user at
    sensible max, or auto or user at nonsensible max the following message
    is displayed:

    Primary hard disk drive 1 not found
    Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

    It does not recognize the drive it arrived with either. Same
    situation.
    Please help.
    Sean

    Sean Cleary, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    David Hough <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Sean
    > I had a Dell P2 Optiplex that somehow trashed out the IDE driver. I
    > blew it away and loaded it with W2k which had drivers that would work.
    > Or if you have the Dell support disk for that machine, it might have
    > the W98 drivers on it. Does the CDrom work?

    I do not have the dell support disk. Could you send me the drivers you
    used?
    The email is either the above, or if they are larger than 1Meg, use
    sean early aug at juno dot com (no spaces)
    After I push the F1 button I usually get access to that hard drive
    disk, but if I use a Win98 boot diskette I do not get access to the
    whole disk, only partitions smaller than ? (well 10G showed up)

    The CDrom reader works only if the software enables it, long past this
    problem. So I can not boot from CD. I can access the CD if I use the
    Win98 boot diskette, or if I install win98 on my machine. Right now
    the machine is recovering from me using the latest Fdisk*, followed by
    no access to that disk, followed by EZ-Bios, followed by writing all
    zeros to that disk via EZ-bios. Now I am back where I started in terms
    of behavior.

    *microsoft has an improved fdisk that was said to help with accessing
    large drives.

    Sean Cleary, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    I called Dell.
    They did not solve it, but they helped me realize a solution which
    worked just as well.
    We were trading cables. I took the cables off the CD rom drives -- and
    got the same complaint about them (secondary drive etc...)
    I went into the setup and changed the word AUTO to the word NONE and
    the problem has gone away. In every other computer it has never
    mattered much, but the dell will stop and ask a question and refuse to
    contunue.
    Thank you for your support anyway,
    Sean

    Sean Cleary, Nov 18, 2003
  6. Sean Cleary

    David Hough Guest

    Sean
    I don't have the win98 drivers. We bought these Dells (four of them)
    refurbed from a reseller. When I couldn't get rid of the yellow "!" in
    the devise table for the IDE and I was getting write failures on the
    CDrom, I loaded Win2k and it came up clean. We have a couple of new
    Dells. Tomorrow I'll see if I can find a Win98 driver for you.
    Dave

    David Hough, Nov 18, 2003