WD1600BB Shows 32gb on a 137+gb enabled pc - ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by I am all-powerfull!!!!, Jun 25, 2007.

  1. After searching for several monthes on google, and inquiring on irc I
    have yet to find a solution to the following problem: a Western
    Digital 160 gb hard drive had at some point begun to show only 32 (34
    depending on which size convention you use) gb.

    The HD name/etc is WDC WD1600BB-00HTA0
    Instead of showing 160 gb, the harddrive shows 32 gb when viewed in
    the BIOS, and when viewed under Windows XP Pro.

    What I have ruled out so far: This is not a 137+gb unsupported issue
    (Tested on two pcs: '98 build i810e chipset with last BIOS upgrade
    with a 200 gb Seagate disk normally run on ide (0), and a 2006 build
    (specs unknown) with a 320 gb Seagate disk normally run on sata), and
    on both the pcs tested: Windows XP Pro with SP2 (137+ gb supported).
    Also Jumper Settings could not have caused this, because when having
    the jumpers in Cylinder Reduction mode the drive size (as seen in the
    BIOS) lowers to 2.1 gb, and still shows as 32 gb under Windows (as
    expected).

    This disk was originally my friend's, who received it as part of a
    prebuilt HP system (with 160 gb fully functioning), and no matter how
    much i interrogated him I was unable to find out what he had done to
    cause this (possibly a System Restore gone awry?)

    I have used WD Diagnostics, and WD Data Lifeguard Tools (11.2 and the
    bootable cd image - Calderas DOS?) and have yet for the 160 gb to
    revert to its full capacity. Under the bootable WD Data Lifeguard
    Tools the disk shows as 160.04 gb and allows to be partitioned till
    the end, though under Windows the partition it is then shown to be Fat
    16 and 32 gb (isn't Fat 16 limited to 2, or 4 gb?)

    >From what I have been able to understand the problem is the amount of

    LBA sectors defined on the drive, if anyone knows what is what in
    terms of LBA Sectors this may help: Under the bootable version of WD
    Data Lifeguard Tools the number of LBA Sectors defined was
    312,581,552, on the actual disk (on the cover) the number was
    312,581,808, and finally under the Data Lifeguard Tools that installs
    from the bootable version under Windows XP, the number is 66,055,244:
    http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7492/15530124062007ib8.png

    Does anyone know the solution to this problem (maybe a program that
    allows the definition of the # of LBA Sectors?), or know if the
    problem lies in something other than the # of LBA Sectors.

    Thanks in Advance,
    Lev

    (also, does anyone know how to change the "Name" in the "From: Name
    <email>" in Google Groups? Thanks in Advance)

    I am all-powerfull!!!!, Jun 25, 2007

  2. I am all-powerfull!!!!

    olfart Guest

    "I am all-powerfull!!!!" <> wrote in message
    > After searching for several monthes on google, and inquiring on irc I
    > have yet to find a solution to the following problem: a Western
    > Digital 160 gb hard drive had at some point begun to show only 32 (34
    > depending on which size convention you use) gb.
    >
    > The HD name/etc is WDC WD1600BB-00HTA0
    > Instead of showing 160 gb, the harddrive shows 32 gb when viewed in
    > the BIOS, and when viewed under Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > What I have ruled out so far: This is not a 137+gb unsupported issue
    > (Tested on two pcs: '98 build i810e chipset with last BIOS upgrade
    > with a 200 gb Seagate disk normally run on ide (0), and a 2006 build
    > (specs unknown) with a 320 gb Seagate disk normally run on sata), and
    > on both the pcs tested: Windows XP Pro with SP2 (137+ gb supported).
    > Also Jumper Settings could not have caused this, because when having
    > the jumpers in Cylinder Reduction mode the drive size (as seen in the
    > BIOS) lowers to 2.1 gb, and still shows as 32 gb under Windows (as
    > expected).
    >
    > This disk was originally my friend's, who received it as part of a
    > prebuilt HP system (with 160 gb fully functioning), and no matter how
    > much i interrogated him I was unable to find out what he had done to
    > cause this (possibly a System Restore gone awry?)
    >
    > I have used WD Diagnostics, and WD Data Lifeguard Tools (11.2 and the
    > bootable cd image - Calderas DOS?) and have yet for the 160 gb to
    > revert to its full capacity. Under the bootable WD Data Lifeguard
    > Tools the disk shows as 160.04 gb and allows to be partitioned till
    > the end, though under Windows the partition it is then shown to be Fat
    > 16 and 32 gb (isn't Fat 16 limited to 2, or 4 gb?)
    >
    >>From what I have been able to understand the problem is the amount of

    > LBA sectors defined on the drive, if anyone knows what is what in
    > terms of LBA Sectors this may help: Under the bootable version of WD
    > Data Lifeguard Tools the number of LBA Sectors defined was
    > 312,581,552, on the actual disk (on the cover) the number was
    > 312,581,808, and finally under the Data Lifeguard Tools that installs
    > from the bootable version under Windows XP, the number is 66,055,244:
    > http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7492/15530124062007ib8.png
    >
    > Does anyone know the solution to this problem (maybe a program that
    > allows the definition of the # of LBA Sectors?), or know if the
    > problem lies in something other than the # of LBA Sectors.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    > Lev
    >
    > (also, does anyone know how to change the "Name" in the "From: Name
    > <email>" in Google Groups? Thanks in Advance)

    did you check the HD jumpers. There is one jumper position on some that set
    the total to a value smaller than the max

    olfart, Jun 25, 2007

  3. I am all-powerfull!!!!

    Paul Guest

    I am all-powerfull!!!! wrote:
    > After searching for several monthes on google, and inquiring on irc I
    > have yet to find a solution to the following problem: a Western
    > Digital 160 gb hard drive had at some point begun to show only 32 (34
    > depending on which size convention you use) gb.
    >
    > The HD name/etc is WDC WD1600BB-00HTA0
    > Instead of showing 160 gb, the harddrive shows 32 gb when viewed in
    > the BIOS, and when viewed under Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > What I have ruled out so far: This is not a 137+gb unsupported issue
    > (Tested on two pcs: '98 build i810e chipset with last BIOS upgrade
    > with a 200 gb Seagate disk normally run on ide (0), and a 2006 build
    > (specs unknown) with a 320 gb Seagate disk normally run on sata), and
    > on both the pcs tested: Windows XP Pro with SP2 (137+ gb supported).
    > Also Jumper Settings could not have caused this, because when having
    > the jumpers in Cylinder Reduction mode the drive size (as seen in the
    > BIOS) lowers to 2.1 gb, and still shows as 32 gb under Windows (as
    > expected).
    >
    > This disk was originally my friend's, who received it as part of a
    > prebuilt HP system (with 160 gb fully functioning), and no matter how
    > much i interrogated him I was unable to find out what he had done to
    > cause this (possibly a System Restore gone awry?)
    >
    > I have used WD Diagnostics, and WD Data Lifeguard Tools (11.2 and the
    > bootable cd image - Calderas DOS?) and have yet for the 160 gb to
    > revert to its full capacity. Under the bootable WD Data Lifeguard
    > Tools the disk shows as 160.04 gb and allows to be partitioned till
    > the end, though under Windows the partition it is then shown to be Fat
    > 16 and 32 gb (isn't Fat 16 limited to 2, or 4 gb?)
    >
    >>From what I have been able to understand the problem is the amount of

    > LBA sectors defined on the drive, if anyone knows what is what in
    > terms of LBA Sectors this may help: Under the bootable version of WD
    > Data Lifeguard Tools the number of LBA Sectors defined was
    > 312,581,552, on the actual disk (on the cover) the number was
    > 312,581,808, and finally under the Data Lifeguard Tools that installs
    > from the bootable version under Windows XP, the number is 66,055,244:
    > http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7492/15530124062007ib8.png
    >
    > Does anyone know the solution to this problem (maybe a program that
    > allows the definition of the # of LBA Sectors?), or know if the
    > problem lies in something other than the # of LBA Sectors.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    > Lev
    >
    > (also, does anyone know how to change the "Name" in the "From: Name
    > <email>" in Google Groups? Thanks in Advance)

    I would have guessed the "clip" jumper on the back of the drive, but
    you say you don't think that is it.

    You can get an ATA/ATAPI spec from the T13 standards server. You can
    browse the FTP directory, and see the various incremental releases
    of the docs as they work on them. D1532 is the doc. V1 or V2 is the
    volume (split into at least two parts). The Rxx is the release number,
    perhaps released after each meeting or whatever. The first URL will
    display a user name and password to use with the FTP server. The two
    sample FTP links should give you a taste of the spec (I'm not even
    sure they are a matched set.)

    http://www.t13.org/FTPSite/Default.aspx

    ftp://ftp.t13.org/docs2002/d1532v1r1a-ATA-ATAPI-7.pdf (a volume 1)
    ftp://ftp.t13.org/docs2002/d1532v2r1a-ATA-ATAPI-7.pdf (a volume 2)

    One feature in there is the "host protected area". The SET MAX ADDRESS
    feature is another way to clip a drive, and make part of the drive
    invisible to normal operation.

    Next step, is get a copy of the Hitachi Feature Tool. This is the manual.

    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/FTool_User_Guide_206.pdf

    PDF page 17 describes the "Device Capacity" option. You can use
    that to bugger up the drive :) Or fix it.

    You can download the actual Feature Tool and play with it, here:

    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

    Post back what happened...

    The Feature Tool has been known to work with other brands of
    drives, but like anything free, doesn't come with guarantees.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 25, 2007
  4. The HD is now Full Capacity!! Thank you all for helping me with this
    perplexing problem.

    I was unable to discern much from the T13 docs (I am 15), but my
    father noticed that ATA/ATAPI has been standardized, as opposed to
    needing drivers for each drive or cd rom 15 years ago, thus anything
    that is able to control one modern HD, should be able to control
    others of the same sort.

    The Feature Tool, judging from the manual, is a very powerful
    application and should be able to do everything needed to fix this
    problem, but on the machine on which I had tried booting it, an
    exception arose, and I was forced to terminate the program.

    There are a few systems that allow the control of HDs, the main one
    used by HD manufacturers is Ontrack : http://www.ontrack.com/ ,
    (though it is paid, there are a few applications for free that handle
    HDs:http://ontrack.com/freesoftware/ . Western Digital, and Seagate
    use these systems to provide access to the HDs (If you compare the
    amount of functionality, the design, etc. between the two, it is
    evident that they were built almost on top of a template). The WD Data
    Lifeguard Tools 11.2 (bootable) did not allow me to fix this problem,
    even though on WD's site it was said to be released during March,
    2007. Using Seagate's bootable disk that came with an HD that was
    bought about a year ago, this problem was quite easier, being licensed
    though, the disk did not allow certain options. Seagate allows the
    free download of their tools: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/
    , though due to licensing it will not allow partitioning (and a few
    minor options) to non-Seagate HDs. (There are many other tools like
    this, but Seagate's tools seemed the most adequate for the job, and
    the easiest to obtain). To find other tools, one would likely have to
    search on HD manufucturers' sites.

    Thank you all for your help!
    Lev

    I am all-powerfull!!!!, Jun 25, 2007