WD SE 500gb USB Hard Drive Cheap

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by William Brown, Jan 25, 2011.

  1. William Brown, Jan 25, 2011

  2. William Brown

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-01-25, William Brown <> wrote:

    > DSE had these for $99 on special now the 100% store has them for $88,
    > the lowest on Price Spy some weeks back was $92.xx
    >

    > http://www.100percent.co.nz/product...-500GB-USB-Powered-Portable-Hard-Drive/107546
    >

    > May be a new model coming out.?

    Indeed. USB3 is on the playing field, the model has been on the market for
    awhile, and demand might be dropping off.

    Gordon, Jan 25, 2011

  3. On 25 Jan 2011 08:07:19 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2011-01-25, William Brown <> wrote:
    >>

    >> DSE had these for $99 on special now the 100% store has them for $88,
    >> the lowest on Price Spy some weeks back was $92.xx
    >>

    >> http://www.100percent.co.nz/product...-500GB-USB-Powered-Portable-Hard-Drive/107546
    >>

    >> May be a new model coming out.?

    >Indeed. USB3 is on the playing field, the model has been on the market for
    >awhile, and demand might be dropping off.

    Its not as Intel has not supported it yet..

    William Brown, Jan 25, 2011
  4. On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 21:54:21 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >On 25/01/2011 9:07 p.m., Gordon wrote:
    >> On 2011-01-25, William Brown<> wrote:
    >>>

    >>> DSE had these for $99 on special now the 100% store has them for $88,
    >>> the lowest on Price Spy some weeks back was $92.xx
    >>>

    >>> http://www.100percent.co.nz/product...-500GB-USB-Powered-Portable-Hard-Drive/107546
    >>>

    >>> May be a new model coming out.?

    >> Indeed. USB3 is on the playing field, the model has been on the market for
    >> awhile, and demand might be dropping off.
    >>

    >And they seem to have a high failure rate - about 25% amongst the 10 or
    >so we have at work.

    Yes but they have a 3 year Warrantee support, these thing fail if you
    don't handle them right..

    William Brown, Jan 25, 2011
  5. William Brown

    Simon Guest

    Re: WD SE 500gb USB Hard Drive Cheap

    On Jan 25, 11:32 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 25/01/2011 11:18 p.m., William Brown wrote:

    > >> And they seem to have a high failure rate - about 25% amongst the 10 or
    > >> so we have at work.

    > > Yes but they have a 3 year Warrantee support, these thing fail if you
    > > don't handle them right..

    > The warranty isn't the issue.  The inconvenience of them failing is the
    > issue[1].  And yes, strangely enough, as an IS department we have a few
    > clues about handling hard drives.  Most noteworthy is the zero failure
    > rate amongst the Seagate branded drives of similar specification and age.
    >
    > [1] In strict monetary terms the inconvenience is worth more than the drive.

    Yup - No point in buying a drive that fails frequently, especially
    when it has mission critical (or even mildly important) data on it.
    What a hassle.

    Simon, Jan 25, 2011
  6. William Brown

    Richard Guest

    On 1/25/2011 11:16 PM, William Brown wrote:

    > Its not as Intel has not supported it yet..

    Good thing that there are many other chip vendors that have them that
    the motherboard manufactures are happy to use.

    Richard, Jan 27, 2011