WD Raptor hard drives and noise

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mr Bond, Nov 21, 2004.

  1. Mr Bond

    Mr Bond Guest

    Hi,

    I'm looking at putting together my first completely all-new computer
    for myself in 8 years and am looking at where to start. The 74gig WD
    10,000rpm sata raptor drives look like a damn fine place I think.

    One thing I am interested in is the noise of these drives. I imagine
    someone is going to read this and say don't buy one if you want a
    quiet computer. That isn't how I do things.

    I gather these run quite hot, so I wanted to know if anyone has had
    any experience with quieting and/or cooling one of these drives.
    Actually any experience with these drives at all would be interesting.

    Zalman has two hard drive coolers on their site, but they're both
    'open' heatpipe coolers and are more dampeners than an enclosure. Any
    other HD quieting solutions that will suit a raptor, or will dampening
    them sort out most of the noise?

    The only other decisions I have made are to use an aluminium case with
    a 120mm fan and as big a LCD as I can afford. Probably a
    hyper-threading big-cache P4. I've been AMD for the last 6 years and
    reckon it's time to mix it up a bit, although the AMD 64's look
    interesting.

    Use will be games mostly, plus internet.

    Mr Bond, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Mr Bond

    thing Guest

    Mr Bond wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking at putting together my first completely all-new computer
    > for myself in 8 years and am looking at where to start. The 74gig WD
    > 10,000rpm sata raptor drives look like a damn fine place I think.
    >
    > One thing I am interested in is the noise of these drives. I imagine
    > someone is going to read this and say don't buy one if you want a
    > quiet computer. That isn't how I do things.
    >
    > I gather these run quite hot, so I wanted to know if anyone has had
    > any experience with quieting and/or cooling one of these drives.
    > Actually any experience with these drives at all would be interesting.
    >
    > Zalman has two hard drive coolers on their site, but they're both
    > 'open' heatpipe coolers and are more dampeners than an enclosure. Any
    > other HD quieting solutions that will suit a raptor, or will dampening
    > them sort out most of the noise?
    >
    > The only other decisions I have made are to use an aluminium case with
    > a 120mm fan and as big a LCD as I can afford. Probably a
    > hyper-threading big-cache P4. I've been AMD for the last 6 years and
    > reckon it's time to mix it up a bit, although the AMD 64's look
    > interesting.
    >
    > Use will be games mostly, plus internet.

    These would appear to be scsi drives with a sata interface. You will be
    paying a huge premium for these, have to put up with noise and heat when
    there maybe better solutions for less money or almost as good solutions
    for a lot less money.

    If your intent on wasting your $ without matching the hardware to a
    specific need, why ask in here. Stating you want these drives without
    why makes no sense, if you want bragging rights do it down the local
    pub, I for one am not interested.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Nov 21, 2004

  3. Mr Bond

    Z Guest

    Mr Bond wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking at putting together my first completely all-new computer
    > for myself in 8 years and am looking at where to start. The 74gig WD
    > 10,000rpm sata raptor drives look like a damn fine place I think.
    >
    > One thing I am interested in is the noise of these drives. I imagine
    > someone is going to read this and say don't buy one if you want a
    > quiet computer. That isn't how I do things.
    >
    > I gather these run quite hot, so I wanted to know if anyone has had
    > any experience with quieting and/or cooling one of these drives.
    > Actually any experience with these drives at all would be interesting.
    >
    > Zalman has two hard drive coolers on their site, but they're both
    > 'open' heatpipe coolers and are more dampeners than an enclosure. Any
    > other HD quieting solutions that will suit a raptor, or will dampening
    > them sort out most of the noise?
    >
    > The only other decisions I have made are to use an aluminium case with
    > a 120mm fan and as big a LCD as I can afford. Probably a
    > hyper-threading big-cache P4. I've been AMD for the last 6 years and
    > reckon it's time to mix it up a bit, although the AMD 64's look
    > interesting.
    >
    > Use will be games mostly, plus internet.

    Why do you need such a high end drive? Unless you are going to be
    running a file server I cannot really see the need and usually space is
    the concern for most people so you are probably better of spending the
    same money and getting two nice 200 gig drives or 250 gig drives and
    putting them in a nice Raid array :).

    If you are mostly going to be using the system for gaming, then you
    might notice that AMD's 64bit processors are the kings in this area, so
    again you could probably save yourself money and get an AMD 64 and it
    will do the job better if gaming is your main area.

    Z, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Mr Bond

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:15:30 +1300, Z <> wrote:

    >Mr Bond wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm looking at putting together my first completely all-new computer
    >> for myself in 8 years and am looking at where to start. The 74gig WD
    >> 10,000rpm sata raptor drives look like a damn fine place I think.
    >>
    >> One thing I am interested in is the noise of these drives. I imagine
    >> someone is going to read this and say don't buy one if you want a
    >> quiet computer. That isn't how I do things.
    >>
    >> I gather these run quite hot, so I wanted to know if anyone has had
    >> any experience with quieting and/or cooling one of these drives.
    >> Actually any experience with these drives at all would be interesting.
    >>
    >> Zalman has two hard drive coolers on their site, but they're both
    >> 'open' heatpipe coolers and are more dampeners than an enclosure. Any
    >> other HD quieting solutions that will suit a raptor, or will dampening
    >> them sort out most of the noise?
    >>
    >> The only other decisions I have made are to use an aluminium case with
    >> a 120mm fan and as big a LCD as I can afford. Probably a
    >> hyper-threading big-cache P4. I've been AMD for the last 6 years and
    >> reckon it's time to mix it up a bit, although the AMD 64's look
    >> interesting.
    >>
    >> Use will be games mostly, plus internet.

    >Why do you need such a high end drive? Unless you are going to be
    >running a file server I cannot really see the need and usually space is
    >the concern for most people so you are probably better of spending the
    >same money and getting two nice 200 gig drives or 250 gig drives and
    >putting them in a nice Raid array :).
    >
    >If you are mostly going to be using the system for gaming, then you
    >might notice that AMD's 64bit processors are the kings in this area, so
    >again you could probably save yourself money and get an AMD 64 and it
    >will do the job better if gaming is your main area.

    I just notice the big difference at work between my desktop and our
    server, which are basically idential p4 systems except the server has
    a 10,000rpm scsi drive. Load times/installing stuff seem to be heaps
    quicker.

    Pricespy has the 74gig at $329 vs around $100 for an 80gig 7200. So
    yes it is an expensive option when compared against other hard drives,
    but in the context of a $2500-$3000 system it's not so bad.

    I've had a 60gig seagate for around 2 years. I've had it full once,
    but more usually have it around 60%. Everything above that is usually
    bloat anyway.

    Is there any speed increases when you put drives into a raid setup?

    Mr Bond, Nov 21, 2004
  5. Mr Bond

    Paul Gunson Guest

    Mr Bond wrote:
    > I'm looking at putting together my first completely all-new computer
    > for myself in 8 years and am looking at where to start. The 74gig WD
    > 10,000rpm sata raptor drives look like a damn fine place I think.
    >
    > Use will be games mostly, plus internet.

    for those apps it won't make much of a difference - but i use a 36GB
    raptor as the boot disk on a 3D workstation, and they are AWESOME
    drives. load times of files/applications seem twice as fast on a raptor.
    according to storagereview.com the 74GB raptors are supposed to be
    quieter than the older 36GB versions like mine.

    for my raptor i use the original Zalman heatpipe cooler (they have a 2nd
    version out now), and its a good solution. the drives don't get that
    hot, and make very little bearing noise, not enough to notice over the
    average PC with 2 or 3 fans. the main noise concern with raptors for
    some people might be the seek noise, but the huge dampers on the Zalman
    heatpipe almost eliminate that. i have a Maxtor SATA fluid bearing
    7,200rpm drive and it now seeks louder than the raptor/zalman combination.

    Paul Gunson, Nov 22, 2004
  6. Mr Bond

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:06:18 +1300, Paul Gunson <>
    wrote:

    >Mr Bond wrote:
    >> I'm looking at putting together my first completely all-new computer
    >> for myself in 8 years and am looking at where to start. The 74gig WD
    >> 10,000rpm sata raptor drives look like a damn fine place I think.
    >>
    > > Use will be games mostly, plus internet.

    >for those apps it won't make much of a difference - but i use a 36GB
    >raptor as the boot disk on a 3D workstation, and they are AWESOME
    >drives. load times of files/applications seem twice as fast on a raptor.
    >according to storagereview.com the 74GB raptors are supposed to be
    >quieter than the older 36GB versions like mine.
    >
    >for my raptor i use the original Zalman heatpipe cooler (they have a 2nd
    >version out now), and its a good solution. the drives don't get that
    >hot, and make very little bearing noise, not enough to notice over the
    >average PC with 2 or 3 fans. the main noise concern with raptors for
    >some people might be the seek noise, but the huge dampers on the Zalman
    >heatpipe almost eliminate that. i have a Maxtor SATA fluid bearing
    >7,200rpm drive and it now seeks louder than the raptor/zalman combination.

    Nice. Thanks for that.

    I didn't imagine the internet would be any faster, but I've noticed
    games loading times are getting quite bad on my current machine. My
    thinking is that the load times will speed up if the drive they are

    Mr Bond, Nov 22, 2004
  7. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:51:06 +1300, Mr Bond <> says...
    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:15:30 +1300, Z <> wrote:
    >
    > >Mr Bond wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I'm looking at putting together my first completely all-new computer
    > >> for myself in 8 years and am looking at where to start. The 74gig WD
    > >> 10,000rpm sata raptor drives look like a damn fine place I think.
    > >>
    > >> One thing I am interested in is the noise of these drives. I imagine
    > >> someone is going to read this and say don't buy one if you want a
    > >> quiet computer. That isn't how I do things.
    > >>
    > >> I gather these run quite hot, so I wanted to know if anyone has had
    > >> any experience with quieting and/or cooling one of these drives.
    > >> Actually any experience with these drives at all would be interesting.
    > >>
    > >> Zalman has two hard drive coolers on their site, but they're both
    > >> 'open' heatpipe coolers and are more dampeners than an enclosure. Any
    > >> other HD quieting solutions that will suit a raptor, or will dampening
    > >> them sort out most of the noise?
    > >>
    > >> The only other decisions I have made are to use an aluminium case with
    > >> a 120mm fan and as big a LCD as I can afford. Probably a
    > >> hyper-threading big-cache P4. I've been AMD for the last 6 years and
    > >> reckon it's time to mix it up a bit, although the AMD 64's look
    > >> interesting.
    > >>
    > >> Use will be games mostly, plus internet.

    > >Why do you need such a high end drive? Unless you are going to be
    > >running a file server I cannot really see the need and usually space is
    > >the concern for most people so you are probably better of spending the
    > >same money and getting two nice 200 gig drives or 250 gig drives and
    > >putting them in a nice Raid array :).
    > >
    > >If you are mostly going to be using the system for gaming, then you
    > >might notice that AMD's 64bit processors are the kings in this area, so
    > >again you could probably save yourself money and get an AMD 64 and it
    > >will do the job better if gaming is your main area.

    > I just notice the big difference at work between my desktop and our
    > server, which are basically idential p4 systems except the server has
    > a 10,000rpm scsi drive. Load times/installing stuff seem to be heaps
    > quicker.
    >
    > Pricespy has the 74gig at $329 vs around $100 for an 80gig 7200. So
    > yes it is an expensive option when compared against other hard drives,
    > but in the context of a $2500-$3000 system it's not so bad.

    Whatever you pay for it, in 1 year it will have depreciated by 66%. LOL

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 22, 2004
  8. Mr Bond

    impossible Guest

    "Mr Bond" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:15:30 +1300, Z <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mr Bond wrote:

    ..

    > I just notice the big difference at work between my desktop and our
    > server, which are basically idential p4 systems except the server has
    > a 10,000rpm scsi drive. Load times/installing stuff seem to be heaps
    > quicker.

    I don't think there's any question that a Raptor will be both measurably and
    noticeably faster.
    Among non-scsi drives, it's been in a category of its own for some time. The
    only potential rival I've heard of is the new Seagates like the ST3160827AS
    that support NCQ (with an NCQ-compatable motherboard, that is) -- you could
    check StorageReview.Com to see if they have a comparative benchmark.

    > Pricespy has the 74gig at $329 vs around $100 for an 80gig 7200. So
    > yes it is an expensive option when compared against other hard drives,
    > but in the context of a $2500-$3000 system it's not so bad.

    The new Seagates I mentioned will be cheaper than the Raptors.

    > I've had a 60gig seagate for around 2 years. I've had it full once,
    > but more usually have it around 60%. Everything above that is usually
    > bloat anyway.
    >
    > Is there any speed increases when you put drives into a raid setup?

    RAID 0, yes, though results vary depending on how your machine is used.

    Heat won't be an issue so long as you have a case that doesn't cram your
    drives together. Also, your case selection can make a big difference in
    terms of noise. Look for ones that feature things like rubber grommetting
    around the drive trays.

    impossible, Nov 22, 2004