WCCP v1 Cisco with cache on separate interface

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by kartik, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. kartik

    kartik Guest

    Hello all.

    My Cisco router has 3 interfaces. Fe0/0 is the incoming interface with
    all the web traffic from the clients. Fe0/1 is connected to the
    internet backhaul and Fe0/2 connects to the cache engine farm.

    I enabled wccpv1 (since my cache supports only that) on the cisco
    router and configured the ip wccp redirect out command in the Fe0/1
    interface which is the path to the internet.

    I see that the response(I_See_You) from the cisco to the Here_I_Am
    messages from the cache server uses the source interface of Fe0/2
    (since that is the closest interface to the cache farm LAN, I suppose).
    !!!

    Doing an show ip wccp web-cache detail shows the WebCache ID as
    0.0.0.0....

    Interestingly redirection is occuring on the cisco router when I try to
    browse (as indicated by the counters in the same command) but it is not
    working... is this because the gre tunnel is using a source interface
    of 0.0.0.0 ???

    ANy ideas on how I can get the router to use the correct webcache ip
    address??

    thanks,
    -Kartik

    kartik, Mar 24, 2006

  2. kartik

    kartik Guest

    I found that this is a cisco IOS bug with wccpv1. Its just a display
    bug.

    The router is seeing the cache (show ip wccp detail). However my PIX
    firewall in between the router and the cache seems to be dropping the
    spoofed SYN ACK packet sent by the cache to the client. On digging
    further I see the cisco router redirecting the HTTP SYN packet for the
    internet website (from my client pc) to the cache. The Cache responds
    with a SYNACK with the source IP address "spoofed" to reflect the ip
    address of the actual webserver. However the PIX does not seem to
    forward it out the outside interface back to the router. Doing a debug
    ip packet on the DMZ interface of the PIX shows the packet entering the
    PIX.

    ANy help would be appreciated !!

    thanks.
    -Kartik