wbhook32 dll fatal crash w/ IE6 on win98 -- some new virus out there???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Damon Berry, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Damon Berry

    Damon Berry Guest

    having that problem too (see below). did the suggested above/below
    (adaware, spybot, etc...), which find nasty things.

    i then say to remove, reboot, rerun and doesn't find them again.

    but then hours/days later, it "magically" keeps coming back (even if
    the machine is offline in the interum).

    further:
    mcafee 6.02 retail (w/ auto-update patch) doesn't find the culprit
    behind it. whats worse, there's some bug w/ IE6 and McAfee whereby if
    i set the internet scanning on, IE crashes out on shutdown (page fault
    in wbhook32.dll). usually two such crashes in iexplorer.exe.

    and whats even worse-worse, sometimes its a kernel crash which
    blackscreen-and-reboots the whole system.

    oh, and yes, i ran the mcafee patch which apparently addresses this
    wbhook32 issue. it doesn't.

    upgrading from win98 first edition to something more real/contemporary
    is (most unfortunately) NOT an option. however, switching from McAfee
    to Norton is.

    suggestions, anyone? thanks!!!

    Damon Berry, Jul 6, 2004

  2. Damon Berry

    Jim Berwick Guest

    (Damon Berry) wrote in

    > upgrading from win98 first edition to something more real/contemporary
    > is (most unfortunately) NOT an option. however, switching from McAfee
    > to Norton is.

    Disable McAfee AV entirely. Uninstall it. Do you still have crashing
    problems? Don't bother doing stuff like "Internet Scanning" or "Email
    scanning" as those are wastes of time and resources.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 6, 2004

  3. Damon Berry wrote:

    > oh, and yes, i ran the mcafee patch which apparently addresses this
    > wbhook32 issue. it doesn't.

    Mr. Trevor Fourie.
    WesBank Limited.
    7 Girton Road, ParksTown, Johannesburg,
    2193, South Africa,
    Republic of South Africa.
    Email:

    Mr. Trevor Fourie, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Damon Berry

    °Mike° Guest

    Dump McAfee bloatware. Here are some leaner alternatives:

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    Vet (Computer Associates)
    http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    Information about wbhook32.dll:

    Errors with Microsoft Windows wbhook32.dll file

    On 6 Jul 2004 13:56:35 -0700, in
    <>
    Damon Berry scrawled:

    --