    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    http://msmvps.com/xpditif

    Christian Hougardy, May 27, 2005

  2. Christian Hougardy

    M. Murcek Guest

    Hear, hear. I can understand that some people are under the gun and hoping
    to hear the answer they want, as opposed to the answer that is the truth. I
    had noticed when this forum began that it seemed the maturity level was
    better than over at the "private" newsgroup durning the CPP. Now it seems
    we're heading down the same old road. I get lots of useful help here, and
    have learned many things I wasn't even needing to know, but benefit from
    knowing all the same.

    Let's keep it on the up and up. There are many professionals contributing
    here, and even the people who are not credentialed Windows professionals can
    contribute to a professional atmosphere that can ony benefit us all.

    If you are having a bad day, go kick the dog. Don't bring it here!

    M. Murcek, May 27, 2005

  3. This is an example of people wanting to know how to do something, but get
    offended when people give them advice cos they think it makes them look
    stupid.

    I'm used to it as I work on an IT Helpdesk, i get used to speaking to stupid
    people :p

    =?Utf-8?B?REw=?=, May 27, 2005
  4. M. Murcek <> wrote:
    > Hear, hear. I can understand that some people are under the gun and
    > hoping to hear the answer they want, as opposed to the answer that is
    > the truth. I had noticed when this forum began that it seemed the
    > maturity level was better than over at the "private" newsgroup
    > durning the CPP. Now it seems we're heading down the same old road. I get
    > lots of useful help here, and have learned many things I wasn't
    > even needing to know, but benefit from knowing all the same.
    >
    > Let's keep it on the up and up. There are many professionals
    > contributing here, and even the people who are not credentialed
    > Windows professionals can contribute to a professional atmosphere
    > that can ony benefit us all.
    > If you are having a bad day, go kick the dog. Don't bring it here!

    Thanks, that's exactly what I mean

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy, May 27, 2005
  5. Why? I wish I knew. Some of it is a reflection of frustration and stress,
    obviously, but the frustration isn't really with those of us trying to help.
    We just seem to get the brunt of it. It's a difficult time for people, since
    x64 Edition is a very, very new operating system, but people expect it to be
    just another version of XP, since it looks the same and has almost the same
    name. But it's much more like the difference between Win31 and Win95, or the
    difference between Win31 and NT3.1. Now that was ugly -- Again, they had the
    same look and feel, but a completely different driver set and requirements.

    Once more people get x64 in their hands, and the people with built up anger
    get it out of their system, I expect this NG to settle down. In the mean
    time, I try to take a deep breath and let it flow past me. And offer what
    help I can to those who are actually here to be helped, as opposed to those
    who seem to have one or another axe to grind.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005
  6. Its just a phase they are going through Christian, they will grow out of it.
    ;-)
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 27, 2005
  7. Christian Hougardy

    M. Murcek Guest

    Also, I suspect some of the people who are getting testy were not around for
    the aforementioned big transitions within the Windows architecture, which
    were, as Charlie has noted, vexing indeed, as those of us who were there
    remember. "Been there, done that" bestows a cirumspection that lets us get
    on with the game at hand.

    I'm having more fun with the x64 debut than I ever did with the Win95 and
    Win98 and NT transitions, and I think a lot of the rest of us seem to be
    feeling that way also...

    M. Murcek, May 27, 2005
  8. M. Murcek <> wrote:
    > Also, I suspect some of the people who are getting testy were not
    > around for the aforementioned big transitions within the Windows
    > architecture, which were, as Charlie has noted, vexing indeed, as
    > those of us who were there remember. "Been there, done that" bestows
    > a cirumspection that lets us get on with the game at hand.
    >
    > I'm having more fun with the x64 debut than I ever did with the Win95
    > and Win98 and NT transitions, and I think a lot of the rest of us
    > seem to be feeling that way also...

    Right, I'm having a lot of fun either... and it is not that I'm not part of
    other beta's.... but x64 is just great.
    Now, I'm not going to run away because of a few unhappy posters :)
    I'll do what I can to help, just like you guys...

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy, May 27, 2005
  9. M. Murcek scribed:

    > I'm having more fun with the x64 debut than I ever did with the Win95
    > and Win98 and NT transitions, and I think a lot of the rest of us
    > seem to be feeling that way also...

    Yeah, so am I, actually. When I made the transition to NT, I was already
    running bigger and better UNIX iron, and that was where I really spent my
    time. But this time, I'm in at the front, have a great little Asus A8V box
    with that 3500+ in it, and it's fun. Of course, if I could manage to swing
    that slick new Acer Ferrari 4000, it would be even more fun. But reality does
    intrude occasionally. ;)

    Meanwhile, I'm sure it will settle down. Especially if the regulars refuse to
    let themselves get riled and testy. That, more than any other thing, will set
    the tone of the NG.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005
  10. Christian Hougardy

    Dennis Pack Guest

    I agree with you fully.

    I work technical assistance in a different industry and I see the same thing
    daily. The young and knowledgeable slam me on surveys because I give them
    the direct answer and the mature and knowledgeable appreciate the direct
    answer because it usually brings to light something that was overlooked.

    I'm not an expert in the computer field, more of an experienced novice that's
    learned the hard way more than once. I learn from your answers so keep
    posting because there are a lot of use that appreciate it.

    Professionalism and appreciation are learned traits not inherited.

    Dennis Pack, May 27, 2005
  11. Dennis, the truth hurts, its a known fact.

    Andre Da Costa, May 27, 2005
  12. The word your should have used is "aggression" the word "aggressivity" is not
    English.

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=, May 30, 2005
  13. Hugo <> wrote:
    > The word your should have used is "aggression" the word
    > "aggressivity" is not English.

    As far as you understand what I meant, it's ok. Thanks for the tip as
    english in not my mother tongue.

    Christian Hougardy, May 30, 2005
  14. Christian Hougardy

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Christian:

    I've had no problems understanding any of your replies. Keep up
    the good work, because there are many of us that appreciate your efforts.

    Unfortunately there are the fools that insist on criticizing
    every detail. A possible answer is that they don't have an answer or haven't
    learned yet that if the person reading the message understands meaning the
    use of language has succeeded even though the words may not be right.

    My native language is American, Midwestern dialect. I understand
    all American dialects and most English or British dialects, but that doesn't
    count as English in the UK and to some people.

    Dennis Pack, May 30, 2005
  15. "Hugo" <> wrote in message
    > The word your should have used is "aggression" the word "aggressivity" is
    > not
    > English.

    Have you ever heard of "Coining" a word? How do you think language evolved?
    All words had to be coined at one time or another.

    Congrads to Christian on his new English word. :)

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, May 30, 2005
  16. Dennis Pack <> wrote:
    > Christian:
    >
    > I've had no problems understanding any of your replies.
    > Keep up the good work, because there are many of us that appreciate
    > your efforts.
    > Unfortunately there are the fools that insist on
    > criticizing every detail. A possible answer is that they don't have
    > an answer or haven't learned yet that if the person reading the
    > message understands meaning the use of language has succeeded even
    > though the words may not be right.
    > My native language is American, Midwestern dialect. I
    > understand all American dialects and most English or British
    > dialects, but that doesn't count as English in the UK and to some
    > people.

    Thanks Dennis

    Christian Hougardy, May 30, 2005
  17. Wayne Wastier <> wrote:
    > "Hugo" <> wrote in message
    >> The word your should have used is "aggression" the word
    >> "aggressivity" is not
    >> English.
    >>

    > Have you ever heard of "Coining" a word? How do you think language
    > evolved? All words had to be coined at one time or another.
    >
    > Congrads to Christian on his new English word. :)
    >

    > Wayne

    Thanks Wayne, not sure it's a good idea anyway ;)
    Will try to use good english words next time :)

    Christian Hougardy, May 30, 2005
  18. "Christian Hougardy" <> wrote in message
    > Wayne Wastier <> wrote:
    >> "Hugo" <> wrote in message
    >>> The word your should have used is "aggression" the word
    >>> "aggressivity" is not
    >>> English.
    >>>

    >> Have you ever heard of "Coining" a word? How do you think language
    >> evolved? All words had to be coined at one time or another.
    >>
    >> Congrads to Christian on his new English word. :)
    >>

    >> Wayne

    > Thanks Wayne, not sure it's a good idea anyway ;)
    > Will try to use good english words next time :)
    >
    > --

    Ok. :) How about antagonistivity? LOL

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, May 30, 2005
  19. As long as I can understand it no problems here.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  20. LOL!

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005