    profile thing) Also..many users like to 'hot dock', so not sure if hardware
    profile would help.

    Thanks much
    Liam Curtis, Mar 21, 2007

  2. Hi
    It takes Bandwidth when it communicates (not by just being On). You can tune
    the Metrics so that the communication will go through the wired NiC.
    http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 21, 2007

  3. Liam Curtis

    Liam Curtis Guest

    Jack,

    Thanks a million for the reply. This sounds like a great way to go!

    Liam Curtis, Mar 21, 2007
  4. "Liam Curtis" wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > We are using wpa to secure our wireless network and it works great (other
    > than roaming.) The problem we have is that employees with laptops leave the
    > wireless nic turned on while docked, wasting bandwidth off of the AP's from
    > mobile users who need it.
    >
    > I'm wondering if anyone has been able to somehow script or automatically
    > turn off wireless radio while docked? (Not sure if it would be a hardware
    > profile thing) Also..many users like to 'hot dock', so not sure if hardware
    > profile would help.

    Some wireless software has similar features. For one, Lenovo Access
    Connections
    will automatically shut down wireless radio when a wired LAN is connected.

    Maybe it is not so hard to write a script or program that will disable the
    wireless adapter (turning the wireless radio off is harder, as it requires
    knowledge of proprietary information of manufacturers ).
    As a starting point you can take the MS devcon utility (KB311272).

    Regards,
    --PA
    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Mar 22, 2007
  5. Liam Curtis