    Can this be done?

    TIA

    Louise

    Louise, May 26, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > I am using Sygate Personal Firewall, 5.5, but would be willing to
    > switch.
    >
    > I would like to be able to block one website address without incurring
    > the load of adding something like Norton parental controls.
    >
    > Can this be done?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Louise

    hosts file in windows.

    whereas badsite=127.0.0.1

    research the rest for yourself.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, May 26, 2004

  3. Louise

    Martin Guest

    "Louise" <> wrote in message
    > I am using Sygate Personal Firewall, 5.5, but would be willing to
    > switch.
    >
    > I would like to be able to block one website address without incurring
    > the load of adding something like Norton parental controls.
    >
    > Can this be done?

    have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
    127.0.0.1

    cheers

    Martin, May 26, 2004
  4. Louise

    Louise Guest

    In article <c91dvs$h1p$>,
    says...

    > "Louise" <> wrote in message
    > > I am using Sygate Personal Firewall, 5.5, but would be willing to
    > > switch.
    > >
    > > I would like to be able to block one website address without incurring
    > > the load of adding something like Norton parental controls.
    > >
    > > Can this be done?

    > have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
    > 127.0.0.1
    >
    > cheers
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Louise

    Thanks - didn't know about doing that.

    Louise

    Louise, May 27, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <c91dvs$h1p$>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "Louise" <> wrote in message
    > > > I am using Sygate Personal Firewall, 5.5, but would be willing to
    > > > switch.
    > > >
    > > > I would like to be able to block one website address without incurring
    > > > the load of adding something like Norton parental controls.
    > > >
    > > > Can this be done?

    > > have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
    > > 127.0.0.1
    > >
    > > cheers
    > > >
    > > > TIA
    > > >
    > > > Louise

    > Thanks - didn't know about doing that.
    >
    > Louise

    I post pretty much the same advise a half hour before this guy does and
    I don't receive a thanks?

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, May 27, 2004
  6. Louise

    zz Guest

    Louise wrote:

    >>>I would like to be able to block one website address without incurring
    >>>the load of adding something like Norton parental controls.
    >>>
    >>>Can this be done?

    >>have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
    >>127.0.0.1
    >>
    >>cheers
    >>

    > Thanks - didn't know about doing that.
    >
    > Louise

    Before the browser goes to the ISP DNS server it looks in the Hosts file
    to translate the requested URL into an IP number. If a matching URL is
    listed in the Hosts file the request never goes out to a DNS server. The
    Hosts file can be used to stop requests to ad servers also.

    g-w

    zz, May 27, 2004
  7. Louise

    Martin Guest

    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > I post pretty much the same advise a half hour before this guy does and
    > I don't receive a thanks?

    I was annoyed when I saw yours, there were no replys when I posted or I
    wouldn't have posted the same thing twice. It's probably our NNTP server,
    it's not the fastest updating in the world :(

    Martin, May 27, 2004
  8. Louise

    Louise Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > In article <c91dvs$h1p$>,
    > > says...
    > > >
    > > > "Louise" <> wrote in message

    > > > have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
    > > > 127.0.0.1
    > > >
    > > > cheers

    > > Thanks - didn't know about doing that.
    > >
    > > Louise
    > >

    > I post pretty much the same advise a half hour before this guy does and
    > I don't receive a thanks?

    A VERY BIG THANKS - sometimes I read something and have the wrong
    message on the screen when I reply :)

    But a serious thanks - I think the community of generosity on newsgroups
    is one of the most precious things about the web.

    Louise

    Louise, May 28, 2004
  9. Louise

    Louise Guest

    In article <Lhjtc.15221$>,
    says...

    > >>have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
    > >>127.0.0.1
    > >>
    > >>cheers
    > >>

    > > Thanks - didn't know about doing that.
    > >
    > > Louise

    > Before the browser goes to the ISP DNS server it looks in the Hosts file
    > to translate the requested URL into an IP number. If a matching URL is
    > listed in the Hosts file the request never goes out to a DNS server. The
    > Hosts file can be used to stop requests to ad servers also.
    >
    > g-w

    Thanks - it's definitely the way to go in the future.

    Louise

    Louise, May 28, 2004
  10. Louise

    Steven V.A. Guest

    Louise <> wrote:

    >Thanks - it's definitely the way to go in the future.

    Grab a premade hostsfile from www.pricelessware.org
    (the internet category I believe)

    HTH
    Steven
    ---
    A White Sailboat...Raging Waters...A Golden Inca Temple...
    And a Great Earthquake...A Giant Condor That Wheels In The Sky...
    The Mysterious Cities of Gold: // http://www.themysteriouscitiesofgold.com //

    Steven V.A., May 28, 2004
  11. Louise

    cody2382

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    I've been having trouble editing my hosts file but I found a program called 123BlockMe. Norton says that it's safe so I'm thinking about using it... what do you guys think?

    cody2382, Jul 18, 2011