    use something like normal engine oil?

    TIA

    Redman

    Redman, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Redman

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Redman vaguely muttered something like ...
    > Got myself a chainsaw as I need to cut down some large trees out the back
    > door. The saw requires oil. I didn't realise this when I bought it and
    > I've seen chainsaw oil but it's about £15/$30 for a small can. Is it
    > possible to use something like normal engine oil?

    Of course it's possible .. it just won't work quite as well or have the
    longevity that 'chainsaw' oil will give the chain .. ;)

    Better would be a fully synthetic, very thin motor oil, but this is about
    the same price as chainsaw oil ...

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

    Paul - xxx, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Redman

    SwissTony Guest

    > Got myself a chainsaw as I need to cut down some large trees out the back
    > door. The saw requires oil. I didn't realise this when I bought it and

    I've
    > seen chainsaw oil but it's about £15/$30 for a small can. Is it possible

    > use something like normal engine oil?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Redman

    Are you from the UK?? i guess you are by your email addy.
    Try screwfix.com
    £1.79 for 1Ltr but £5.95 for delivery if u spend under £45
    So u could buy about 6-7 litres of the oil for £15 instead of a small can
    for £15
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=55013&ts=10212

    HTH

    Swiss Tony.
    p.s next day delivery as well.

    SwissTony, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Redman

    Redman Guest

    "SwissTony" <> wrote in message

    > > Got myself a chainsaw as I need to cut down some large trees out the

    back
    > > door. The saw requires oil. I didn't realise this when I bought it and

    > I've
    > > seen chainsaw oil but it's about £15/$30 for a small can. Is it possible

    > > use something like normal engine oil?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Redman
    > >

    > Are you from the UK?? i guess you are by your email addy.
    > Try screwfix.com
    > £1.79 for 1Ltr but £5.95 for delivery if u spend under £45
    > So u could buy about 6-7 litres of the oil for £15 instead of a small can
    > for £15
    > http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=55013&ts=10212
    >

    > HTH
    >
    > Swiss Tony.
    > p.s next day delivery as well.

    Ok cheers

    Redman

    Redman, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Redman

    Sirius Guest

    Redman wrote:

    > Got myself a chainsaw as I need to cut down some large trees out the back
    > door. The saw requires oil. I didn't realise this when I bought it and I've
    > seen chainsaw oil but it's about £15/$30 for a small can. Is it possible to
    > use something like normal engine oil?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Redman

    Are you talking about oil to mix with the petrol (very important) or for
    chain lubrication (any old oil OK ish) ???

    Sirius, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Redman

    old man Guest

    hope you've read all the stories of accidents with a chain saw.
    recent one in SE9, man fell from ladder, chain saw landed on wife's neck -
    need I elaborate!

    old man, Aug 26, 2004
  7. Redman

    SwissTony Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in message
    > hope you've read all the stories of accidents with a chain saw.
    > recent one in SE9, man fell from ladder, chain saw landed on wife's neck -
    > need I elaborate!

    One way of getting rid of the old bint

    SwissTony, Aug 26, 2004
  8. Redman

    Redman Guest

    "Sirius" <> wrote in message
    > Redman wrote:
    >
    > > Got myself a chainsaw as I need to cut down some large trees out the

    back
    > > door. The saw requires oil. I didn't realise this when I bought it and

    I've
    > > seen chainsaw oil but it's about £15/$30 for a small can. Is it possible

    > > use something like normal engine oil?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Redman
    > >

    > Are you talking about oil to mix with the petrol (very important) or for
    > chain lubrication (any old oil OK ish) ???

    No the chainsaw's an electric one, it's just for the chain.

    Redman

    Redman, Aug 26, 2004
  9. Redman

    Sirius Guest

    Redman wrote:

    > "Sirius" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Redman wrote:
    >>

    >>>Got myself a chainsaw as I need to cut down some large trees out the

    > back
    >
    >>>door. The saw requires oil. I didn't realise this when I bought it and

    > I've
    >
    >>>seen chainsaw oil but it's about £15/$30 for a small can. Is it possible

    >>>use something like normal engine oil?
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>Redman
    >>>

    >>Are you talking about oil to mix with the petrol (very important) or for
    >>chain lubrication (any old oil OK ish) ???

    > No the chainsaw's an electric one, it's just for the chain.
    >
    > Redman

    I've used normal engine oil often enough for that.

    Sirius, Aug 26, 2004
  10. Redman

    Scrote Guest

    old man wrote:
    >> hope you've read all the stories of accidents with a chain saw.
    >> recent one in SE9, man fell from ladder, chain saw landed on wife's
    >> neck - need I elaborate!

    Bloody good shot!

    --
    Twas a woman who drove me to drink.
    I never had the courtesy to thank her.

    Scrote, Aug 26, 2004
  11. Redman

    Redman Guest

    Redman, Aug 26, 2004
  12. "Sirius" <> wrote in message
    > Redman wrote:
    >
    > > No the chainsaw's an electric one, it's just for the chain.
    > >
    > > Redman

    > I've used normal engine oil often enough for that.

    Don't know about any difference in chain speed between an electric versus
    petrol motor but old hands in my area tell me I will go through twice as
    many chains and bars if I use ordinary engine oil on my logging saw.
    Apparently chain oil sticks longer.

    Richard McCann, Aug 26, 2004
  13. Redman

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Redman mused:

    | I've seen chainsaw oil but it's about £15/$30 for a small can.

    Has the exchange rate gotten that bad? Surely not ... ;-)

    mhicaoidh, Aug 26, 2004
  14. Redman

    Kimbo Guest

    "Redman" <> wrote in message
    > Got myself a chainsaw as I need to cut down some large trees out the back
    > door. The saw requires oil. I didn't realise this when I bought it and

    I've
    > seen chainsaw oil but it's about £15/$30 for a small can. Is it possible

    > use something like normal engine oil?
    >
    > TIA
    > Redman

    Hi, I'm not sure if you are talking about oil for chain lubrication, or for
    mixing with petrol, but my comments are assuming the latter:-

    Possibly, manufacturers use different standards in UK, but here in Oz, you
    can buy 5 litres of regular fuel for AU$5, and the necessary few hundred mLs
    mini-vat of 2-stroke primer oil for about AU$4. Total: AU$9 or £4.
    This is less than half of what it would cost to buy an identical amount
    pre-mixed and ready-to-go. Your price will vary alot in UK (different
    local taxes, etc), but I would just emphasize that you can save a huge
    proportion of the cost by making the tiny effort to mix the stuff yourself,
    rather than buying pre-mixed.

    Kimbo, Aug 26, 2004
  15. Redman

    mhicaoidh Guest

    By the way ... anyone else think of Doom 3 when they saw the title? ;-)

    mhicaoidh, Aug 26, 2004
  16. Redman

    DavidB Guest

    Redman wrote:
    > Got myself a chainsaw as I need to cut down some large trees out the back
    > door. The saw requires oil. I didn't realise this when I bought it and I've
    > seen chainsaw oil but it's about £15/$30 for a small can. Is it possible to
    > use something like normal engine oil?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Redman

    I have read of one individual using vegetable oil to lube his chain. He
    was using the chainsaw to cut hardwood for smoking (and making home-made
    charcoal, if I remember) and he did not want the petroleum-based oil
    contaminating the wood.

    Any thinner oil will suffice.

    DavidB, Aug 27, 2004