    My 5 y/o CRT monitor has small, non-moving, wavy lines along the
    sides. I believe these are called moire patterns. Is there any reason
    as to why they would be showing up now?
    Mike S., Oct 26, 2007

  2. Mike S. wrote:
    > My 5 y/o CRT monitor has small, non-moving, wavy lines along the
    > sides. I believe these are called moire patterns. Is there any reason
    > as to why they would be showing up now?

    Perhaps it's overscanning. Try a different resolution or try adjusting
    the screen size in some to see if that may be it.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 26, 2007

  3. Mike S.

    thanatoid Guest

    "Mike S." <> wrote in

    > My 5 y/o CRT monitor has small, non-moving, wavy lines
    > along the sides. I believe these are called moire patterns.
    > Is there any reason as to why they would be showing up now?

    Unless it's a Trinitron or something else ending in -tron (the
    patent has expired but only Sony can use the full word
    Trinitron), then your CRT is probably showing signs of age. It
    happens to most monitors, but I have seen 20 year old Sonys that
    look as good as the day they were bought.

    You could try messing around with the overscan or positioning
    settings. "Wavy lines" is a little hard to picture correctly,
    and that's not what I would call moiré lines but your monitor
    may have an on-screen menu with 20 adjustable settings on it.

    There is a great program for adjusting your monitor.

    Test Screens from:
    http://www.programming.de/freeware_windows.php

    Other neat programs as well.
    thanatoid, Oct 26, 2007
  4. Mike S.

    Hammerer Guest

    Mike S. Google-posted:

    > My 5 y/o CRT monitor has small, non-moving, wavy lines along the
    > sides. I believe these are called moire patterns. Is there any reason
    > as to why they would be showing up now?

    The only two reasons I can think of, Mike, is that either you need to
    make an appointment to see the optician, or you were drunk/stoned at the
    time. Or you've inadvertantly set a new desktop background. With a moire
    pattern. That's three.
    Hammerer, Oct 26, 2007
  5. Mike S.

    lee h Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > My 5 y/o CRT monitor has small, non-moving, wavy lines along the
    > sides. I believe these are called moire patterns. Is there any reason
    > as to why they would be showing up now?

    Do you possibly have audio speakers near the sides of your
    monitor? Fans or other AC appliances? Magnetic fields
    can wreak havoc with crt monitor output.
    lee h, Oct 26, 2007