    required that each song is a WAV, so I did it from some MP3s. When I
    burned, it said "converting" for each song. It was converting the
    files to what? I saw no new files in the folders.
    Richard Fangnail, May 19, 2006

  2. Richard Fangnail

    beenthere Guest

    "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it required that
    > each song is a WAV file.
    >
    > I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did not say it
    > required that each song is a WAV, so I did it from some MP3s. When I
    > burned, it said "converting" for each song. It was converting the
    > files to what? I saw no new files in the folders.

    Files on an Audio CD are CDDA ie. CD Digital Audio.
    beenthere, May 19, 2006

  3. Richard Fangnail

    Peaches Guest

    >I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it required that
    > each song is a WAV file.
    >
    > I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did not say it
    > required that each song is a WAV, so I did it from some MP3s. When I
    > burned, it said "converting" for each song. It was converting the
    > files to what? I saw no new files in the folders.

    It is converting from CD format of CDDA to MP3.
    MP3 compilation will have to burned as a data disk.
    Unless your CD player specifically states that it can
    play MP3's, it won't recognise the MP3 compilation disk.
    Peaches, May 19, 2006
  4. Peaches wrote:
    > "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote in message
    > >I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it required that
    > > each song is a WAV file.
    > >
    > > I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did not say it
    > > required that each song is a WAV, so I did it from some MP3s. When I
    > > burned, it said "converting" for each song. It was converting the
    > > files to what? I saw no new files in the folders.
    > >

    > It is converting from CD format of CDDA to MP3.
    > MP3 compilation will have to burned as a data disk.
    > Unless your CD player specifically states that it can
    > play MP3's, it won't recognise the MP3 compilation disk.

    What I did was to make all the tracks into MP3s (using Rip in WMP).
    Then I used Burn in WMP which means to make an audio CD that can be
    played in any CD player. I had selected the MP3 files. It worked
    also. My question was, why did it say "converting" for each track?
    Richard Fangnail, May 19, 2006
  5. Richard Fangnail

    Peaches Guest

    > Peaches wrote:
    >> "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote in message
    >> >I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it required that
    >> > each song is a WAV file.
    >> >
    >> > I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did not say it
    >> > required that each song is a WAV, so I did it from some MP3s. When I
    >> > burned, it said "converting" for each song. It was converting the
    >> > files to what? I saw no new files in the folders.
    >> >

    >> It is converting from CD format of CDDA to MP3.
    >> MP3 compilation will have to burned as a data disk.
    >> Unless your CD player specifically states that it can
    >> play MP3's, it won't recognise the MP3 compilation disk.

    > What I did was to make all the tracks into MP3s (using Rip in WMP).
    > Then I used Burn in WMP which means to make an audio CD that can be
    > played in any CD player. I had selected the MP3 files. It worked
    > also. My question was, why did it say "converting" for each track?

    Because you used the convoluted process of ripping as MP3's,
    but to author a CD audio disk, they then had to be converted
    back to their original CDDA format.
    Peaches, May 19, 2006
  6. Richard Fangnail

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:e4l3gl$vfi$,
    Peaches spewed forth:
    > "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Peaches wrote:
    >>> "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote in message

    >>> It is converting from CD format of CDDA to MP3.
    >>> MP3 compilation will have to burned as a data disk.
    >>> Unless your CD player specifically states that it can
    >>> play MP3's, it won't recognise the MP3 compilation disk.

    >> What I did was to make all the tracks into MP3s (using Rip in WMP).
    >> Then I used Burn in WMP which means to make an audio CD that can be
    >> played in any CD player. I had selected the MP3 files. It worked
    >> also. My question was, why did it say "converting" for each track?
    >>

    > Because you used the convoluted process of ripping as MP3's,
    > but to author a CD audio disk, they then had to be converted
    > back to their original CDDA format.

    With sound quality degradation.

    Toolman Tim, May 19, 2006
  7. What should you do to copy from a CDaudio to make a new CDaudio (that
    can be played on any player)? And can you do all of it with WMP?

    Thanks
    Richard Fangnail, May 19, 2006
  8. Richard Fangnail

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote in

    > I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it required that
    > each song is a WAV file.
    >
    > I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did not say it
    > required that each song is a WAV, so I did it from some MP3s. When I
    > burned, it said "converting" for each song. It was converting the
    > files to what? I saw no new files in the folders.

    It was converting the mp3s back to 16 bit wav prior to writing the CD.
    The converted files are only temporary and would be deleted as soon as
    they had been written to CD.

    --
    fred
    This post originated on usenet in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, and if it
    fred-bloggs, May 19, 2006
  9. Richard Fangnail

    Peaches Guest

    > What should you do to copy from a CDaudio to make a new CDaudio (that
    > can be played on any player)? And can you do all of it with WMP?
    >
    > Thanks

    WMP is severely restricted when it comes to those issues.
    You probably have preinstalled copying software that came with your
    CD burner, there is nearly always a version of Nero or Roxio etc.
    If not, this site lists freeware:

    http://tinyurl.com/kqzy5
    There are six pages of freeware, click the next at bottom of
    page see all.

    http://tinyurl.com/hjpjm
    This is the Editors choice, note this for the $20 gold version
    the freeware version has limitations, but will do as you require.
    Peaches, May 19, 2006
  10. Richard Fangnail

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    Richard Fangnail <> wrote:

    > I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it required that
    > each song is a WAV file.
    >
    > I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did not say it
    > required that each song is a WAV, so I did it from some MP3s. When I
    > burned, it said "converting" for each song. It was converting the
    > files to what? I saw no new files in the folders.

    An audio CD does not have any compressed files on it -- they are
    uncompressed audio tracks.
    MP3 is a very compressed format.
    There are many other audio formats, too -- and in all cases they'd have
    to be converted to the basic Audio CD format before they are written.

    There is no point trying to write the wrong kind of file to an Audio CD
    -- an Audio CD player won't be able to play it! So the software either
    requires you to provide files it can work with (files which it can
    change easily) or the program converts automatically when you select
    the wrong kind of files.
    Mitch, May 20, 2006
  11. Richard Fangnail

    Shep© Guest

    On 19 May 2006 11:27:44 -0700 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With Yang
    then "Richard Fangnail" <> sent this :

    >What I did was to make all the tracks into MP3s (using Rip in WMP).
    >Then I used Burn in WMP which means to make an audio CD that can be
    >played in any CD player. I had selected the MP3 files. It worked
    >also. My question was, why did it say "converting" for each track?

    It was converting them to the standard audio .wav format known as .cda
    for domestic CD audio players.This has different encoding than the
    normal .wav files on your PC but is still basically a .wav file.

    If you wish to delve more,

    http://www.cdrfaq.org/

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Shep©, May 20, 2006
  12. Richard Fangnail

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Shep©
    <> wrote:

    > This has different encoding than the
    > normal .wav files on your PC but is still basically a .wav file.

    Isn't that backward?

    Isn't WAV copying the CDDA format?
    Mitch, May 20, 2006
  13. Richard Fangnail

    thanatoid Guest

    "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote in

    > I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it
    > required that each song is a WAV file.
    >
    > I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did
    > not say it required that each song is a WAV, so I did it
    > from some MP3s. When I burned, it said "converting" for
    > each song. It was converting the files to what? I saw no
    > new files in the folders.

    Many current burning programs will allow you to convert "on the
    fly" from WAV and possibly other formats, check the specs.

    Since you were able to do this, you obviously have a fast enough
    computer - an older one could not do this, as music format
    conversion is fairly processor speed/memory intensive.

    You don't "see" the mp3 files as they are converted to wav in
    memory and burned directly to your CD.

    I have never done it, I like to stick to basics in principle and
    action. I convert mp3's to WAV, check them for extra silences,
    glitches, etc. in GoldWave (or any other program), sometimes
    join them all into one huge WAV file and convert back to mp3 (if
    I want to burn a continuous mp3 - for instance, a live album -
    mp3 "joiners" all suck IMO, I've tried several) or just burn the
    "normal" CD from the WAV's.

    If it worked and sounds OK, then I would imagine everything is
    OK. It is undeniably simple and fast.

    --
    thanatoid-Tip® #20
    There are dark and scary tunnels where awful things happen to
    thanatoid, May 20, 2006
  14. Richard Fangnail

    Frosty Guest

    On or about 19 May 2006 11:06:33 -0700, an entity identified as
    "Richard Fangnail" <> proudly proclaimed:

    >I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it required that
    >each song is a WAV file.
    >
    >I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did not say it
    >required that each song is a WAV, so I did it from some MP3s. When I
    >burned, it said "converting" for each song. It was converting the
    >files to what? I saw no new files in the folders.

    Man, I just automatically convert all my MP3's to .wav (using db
    PowerAmp)
    ..Wav seems to be the only format my CD player understands.
    And since I have a Giant Shit-Load of Music© I had to get another 200
    gig HD to hold it all. But hey, it's Music so it's worth it.

    Frosty
    --

    http://halebobb.com

    "If you push something hard enough it will fall over."

    Fudd's First Law of Opposition
    Frosty, May 20, 2006
  15. Richard Fangnail

    thanatoid Guest

    Frosty <> wrote in

    > On or about 19 May 2006 11:06:33 -0700, an entity
    > identified as "Richard Fangnail"
    > <> proudly proclaimed:
    >
    >>I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it
    >>required that each song is a WAV file.
    >>
    >>I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did
    >>not say it required that each song is a WAV, so I did it
    >>from some MP3s. When I burned, it said "converting" for
    >>each song. It was converting the files to what? I saw no
    >>new files in the folders.

    > Man, I just automatically convert all my MP3's to .wav
    > (using db PowerAmp)
    > .Wav seems to be the only format my CD player understands.
    > And since I have a Giant Shit-Load of Music© I had to get
    > another 200 gig HD to hold it all. But hey, it's Music so
    > it's worth it.
    >
    > Frosty
    > --
    >

    > http://halebobb.com
    >
    > "If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
    >
    > Fudd's First Law of Opposition

    Of course WAV is the only format a CD player understands. That's
    why I bought a DVD player ONLY to play mp3's. I've had it for
    about 2 or 3 years and I only ever put 2 (music) DVD's in it.
    OK, ONE movie, which I returned the next day because it was not
    the complete version.

    A DVD player (many of which will not only play mp3 - and regular
    WAV CD's - but also let you watch jpg's, play wma, and do other
    things - not to mention - YAA-AWN - watching movies) can be as
    cheap as a 200GB drive, and less prone to failure. In a way I
    view my mp3 CD-R's as backups.

    Can you even BEGIN to imagine HOW you would feel if your 200GB
    drive full of music bit the dust? (It probably will, SOMEDAY,
    realistically speaking.)

    (BTW, dB PowerAMP is amazing. I can't believe it's free.)

    thanatoid, May 21, 2006
  16. Richard Fangnail

    Frosty Guest

    On or about 21 May 2006 05:42:53 GMT, an entity identified as
    thanatoid <> proudly proclaimed:

    >Frosty <> wrote in
    >
    >> On or about 19 May 2006 11:06:33 -0700, an entity
    >> identified as "Richard Fangnail"
    >> <> proudly proclaimed:
    >>
    >>>I used to make compilation audio CDs with Roxio, and it
    >>>required that each song is a WAV file.
    >>>
    >>>I just used WMP to do this for the first time and it did
    >>>not say it required that each song is a WAV, so I did it
    >>>from some MP3s. When I burned, it said "converting" for
    >>>each song. It was converting the files to what? I saw no
    >>>new files in the folders.

    >> Man, I just automatically convert all my MP3's to .wav
    >> (using db PowerAmp)
    >> .Wav seems to be the only format my CD player understands.
    >> And since I have a Giant Shit-Load of Music© I had to get
    >> another 200 gig HD to hold it all. But hey, it's Music so
    >> it's worth it.
    >>
    >> Frosty
    >> --
    >>

    >> http://halebobb.com
    >>
    >> "If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
    >>
    >> Fudd's First Law of Opposition
    >>

    >Of course WAV is the only format a CD player understands. That's
    >why I bought a DVD player ONLY to play mp3's. I've had it for
    >about 2 or 3 years and I only ever put 2 (music) DVD's in it.
    >OK, ONE movie, which I returned the next day because it was not
    >the complete version.
    >
    >A DVD player (many of which will not only play mp3 - and regular
    >WAV CD's - but also let you watch jpg's, play wma, and do other
    >things - not to mention - YAA-AWN - watching movies) can be as
    >cheap as a 200GB drive, and less prone to failure. In a way I
    >view my mp3 CD-R's as backups.

    I forgot to mention that my CD player is in my car.
    It cost $40 at Pepboys.

    >Can you even BEGIN to imagine HOW you would feel if your 200GB
    >drive full of music bit the dust? (It probably will, SOMEDAY,
    >realistically speaking.)

    Yeah I'd be really PO'ed. But after all, it's just data. It can be had
    again.

    >(BTW, dB PowerAMP is amazing. I can't believe it's free.)

    Yeah. The payfer version is even more amazing, and it's pretty cheap
    too.

    SilverMan
    --

    Real debate; No bullshit.