    So why should I do this, and not keep the wavs since they are a smaller
    size...
    Any explanations will be appreciated greatly.....

    Rip Torin, Jul 1, 2003

  2. Rip Torin

    Jimchip Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 06:47:42 GMT, Rip Torin wrote:
    > Been trying to find a more appropriate N/G to ask this question, but haven't
    > been able to come up with one yet...
    > This being an intelligent forum I guess it's as good as any, so here goes...
    > I'm a novice with music files, and I have a lot of good wavs, in the kb
    > size. So I'm starting to convert them to mp3, as I thought that's what you
    > should do. Now I find that the resulting mp3 are in the mb size, humungous
    > compared to the wav.
    > So why should I do this, and not keep the wavs since they are a smaller
    > size...
    > Any explanations will be appreciated greatly.....

    I don't know what you are doing but you should get a 12:1 compression ratio.
    The mp3 should be smaller.

    ..wav should carry the most information and you would maybe burn those to a
    CD as an archive. .mp3 strips out supposedly non-audible (or better, 'less
    likely to be audible') sounds.

    ..wav takes up more storage space but takes up less CPU cycles to play.

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

    Jimchip, Jul 1, 2003

  3. Rip Torin

    Fummie Guest

    Rip Torin wrote:
    > Been trying to find a more appropriate N/G to ask this question, but
    > haven't been able to come up with one yet...
    > This being an intelligent forum I guess it's as good as any, so here
    > goes... I'm a novice with music files, and I have a lot of good wavs,
    > in the kb size. So I'm starting to convert them to mp3, as I thought
    > that's what you should do. Now I find that the resulting mp3 are in
    > the mb size, humungous compared to the wav.
    > So why should I do this, and not keep the wavs since they are a
    > smaller size...
    > Any explanations will be appreciated greatly.....

    You could check out this site: http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/downloads.php
    (Cdex)
    I change my MP3's to wav files so I can play them on any old CD player,
    without loss of quality or the size changing, I use a really small program
    called "change type" to do that.

    Fummie, Jul 1, 2003