    appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Pete
    Pete D, Dec 28, 2008

  2. Pete D

    D.Mac Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    news:49574653$0$22091$...
    >I have just sold one of my D-SLRs and am looking to get another waterproof
    >camera. The one I currently use is a cheap one with an underwater housing
    >that is good to 10 metres, it will take a reasonable shot as long as all
    >the planets are aligned.
    >
    > I would like to get something mid range that will do at least a couple of
    > metres underwater have image stabilisation and it must use SD cards. Do
    > not want lots of zoom, three times will be heaps.
    >
    > Recommendations anyone? Any first hand user feedback would also be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Pete

    Start with how you are going to light an underwater shot and maybe you'll
    find your existing camera works fine.
    90% of newbe underwater "experts" haven't a clue why their shots standing in
    the water are so much better than those taken a meter down.

    My lights cost me 4 times what the camera did but I no longer have to go
    through 500 shots looking for a good one.
    D.Mac, Dec 28, 2008

  3. Pete D

    Pete D Guest

    "D.Mac" <> wrote in message

    > "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    >>I have just sold one of my D-SLRs and am looking to get another waterproof
    >>camera. The one I currently use is a cheap one with an underwater housing
    >>that is good to 10 metres, it will take a reasonable shot as long as all
    >>the planets are aligned.
    >>
    >> I would like to get something mid range that will do at least a couple of
    >> metres underwater have image stabilisation and it must use SD cards. Do
    >> not want lots of zoom, three times will be heaps.
    >>
    >> Recommendations anyone? Any first hand user feedback would also be
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Pete
    >>

    > Start with how you are going to light an underwater shot and maybe you'll
    > find your existing camera works fine.
    > 90% of newbe underwater "experts" haven't a clue why their shots standing
    > in the water are so much better than those taken a meter down.
    >
    > My lights cost me 4 times what the camera did but I no longer have to go
    > through 500 shots looking for a good one.

    Apparently no one else has a clue either, I said waterproof not underwater,
    but anyway seems no one has an opinion on whcih camera.
    Pete D, Dec 31, 2008
  4. Pete D

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Pete D wrote:
    > "D.Mac" <> wrote in message
    >> "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have just sold one of my D-SLRs and am looking to get another waterproof
    >>> camera. The one I currently use is a cheap one with an underwater housing
    >>> that is good to 10 metres, it will take a reasonable shot as long as all
    >>> the planets are aligned.
    >>>
    >>> I would like to get something mid range that will do at least a couple of
    >>> metres underwater have image stabilisation and it must use SD cards. Do
    >>> not want lots of zoom, three times will be heaps.
    >>>
    >>> Recommendations anyone? Any first hand user feedback would also be
    >>> appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Pete
    >>>

    >> Start with how you are going to light an underwater shot and maybe you'll
    >> find your existing camera works fine.
    >> 90% of newbe underwater "experts" haven't a clue why their shots standing
    >> in the water are so much better than those taken a meter down.
    >>
    >> My lights cost me 4 times what the camera did but I no longer have to go
    >> through 500 shots looking for a good one.
    >>

    > Apparently no one else has a clue either

    Pretty much..
    (I've not seen any of D-Mac's underwater work. I'm sure it is at least
    as good as his weddings and portraits, so if *only* he would post
    *actual tips*, instead of teasing the 'newbes' [sic]...)

    > I said waterproof not underwater,
    > but anyway seems no one has an opinion on whcih camera.

    There's a review here that compares a recent Oly to a Pentax:
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_Stylus_1050_SW/verdict.shtml

    Neither really shine, although the Pentax zoom range would probably sway
    me..

    Do you just want a happy snapper - if not, have you considered the
    horror of getting a housing for your dslr? (O: Or just stay with the
    good old Fuji Quicksnap Marine, if you can still find them - they aren't
    actually that bad..
    Mark Thomas, Dec 31, 2008
  5. Pete D

    D.Mac Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "D.Mac" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have just sold one of my D-SLRs and am looking to get another
    >>>waterproof camera. The one I currently use is a cheap one with an
    >>>underwater housing that is good to 10 metres, it will take a reasonable
    >>>shot as long as all the planets are aligned.
    >>>
    >>> I would like to get something mid range that will do at least a couple
    >>> of metres underwater have image stabilisation and it must use SD cards.
    >>> Do not want lots of zoom, three times will be heaps.
    >>>
    >>> Recommendations anyone? Any first hand user feedback would also be
    >>> appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Pete
    >>>

    >> Start with how you are going to light an underwater shot and maybe you'll
    >> find your existing camera works fine.
    >> 90% of newbe underwater "experts" haven't a clue why their shots standing
    >> in the water are so much better than those taken a meter down.
    >>
    >> My lights cost me 4 times what the camera did but I no longer have to go
    >> through 500 shots looking for a good one.
    >>

    > Apparently no one else has a clue either, I said waterproof not
    > underwater, but anyway seems no one has an opinion on whcih camera.

    You know Pete... The Olympus Pro DSLR is waterproof. If you can believe the
    ytube movies of it getting washed under the tap and used straight after!
    --
    Visit my site: D-Mac.info
    My photos, Information about trolls
    D.Mac, Dec 31, 2008
  6. Pete D

    Pete D Guest

    "Mark Thomas" <markt@_don't_spam_marktphoto.com> wrote in message
    > Pete D wrote:
    >> "D.Mac" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    >>> Start with how you are going to light an underwater shot and maybe
    >>> you'll find your existing camera works fine.
    >>> 90% of newbe underwater "experts" haven't a clue why their shots
    >>> standing in the water are so much better than those taken a meter down.
    >>>
    >>> My lights cost me 4 times what the camera did but I no longer have to go
    >>> through 500 shots looking for a good one.
    >>>

    >> Apparently no one else has a clue either

    > Pretty much..
    > (I've not seen any of D-Mac's underwater work. I'm sure it is at least as
    > good as his weddings and portraits, so if *only* he would post *actual
    > tips*, instead of teasing the 'newbes' [sic]...)
    >
    >> I said waterproof not underwater, but anyway seems no one has an opinion
    >> on whcih camera.

    > There's a review here that compares a recent Oly to a Pentax:
    > http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_Stylus_1050_SW/verdict.shtml
    >
    > Neither really shine, although the Pentax zoom range would probably sway
    > me..
    >
    > Do you just want a happy snapper - if not, have you considered the horror
    > of getting a housing for your dslr? (O: Or just stay with the good old
    > Fuji Quicksnap Marine, if you can still find them - they aren't actually
    > that bad..

    I currently have a crappy little point and shoot but it does have a good
    waterproof housing. Several friends have the Oly's from pretty much across
    the range. I also saw in a shop on Monday that Panasonic has a housing that
    suits some of their cameras but not sure which ones, with their bigs screens
    on cameras one of these might suit.

    Last Saturday I did a 20 km kayak trip on a section of the Murrumbidgee
    River that had up to grade 3 rapids, I was able to have my crap camera
    hooked up on the deck in front of me to get some quick shots. I am a caving
    instructor and when we are running advanced courses we will swim through
    some connecting sumps with maybe a foot of headroom, I want to be able to
    hang it around my neck and get shots of people coming through after me or we
    may slide through foot deep mud with no headroom. You get the idea.

    A lot of the time I will take the big gear but it will be double dry sacked
    and padded and be impossible to use for the quick shots on the move.

    Cheers.

    Pete
    Pete D, Dec 31, 2008