    photo would be affected by "generation loss".

    Any guidelines on how to minimize generation loss when doing this sort of
    thing?

    Spoon2001, Jul 16, 2004

  2. "Spoon2001" <> writes:

    > I am interested in putting a visible EXIF date/time stamp on digital photos
    > but want to minimize generation loss.
    >
    > If I put a timestamp on a JPEG photo (using say, Exifer or Irfanview), and
    > assuming I use the same compression ratio that was originally used by the
    > digital camera - is there any generation loss in the area of the photo
    > outside the timestamp i just added? Stated otherwise, is the generation
    > loss limited to the area immediately surrounding the timestamp?

    In general, if you open a jpeg in an editing program and resave it,
    you will incur generation loss throughout.

    Given how jpeg works, it's *conceivable* (i.e. it doesn't contradict
    my understanding of how jpeg works) that a program for adding text
    over a photo could only resave the portion directly under the text. I
    don't know of any that claim to work that way, however.

    > Of course, if I use a different compression ratio, I imagine that the entire
    > photo would be affected by "generation loss".
    >
    > Any guidelines on how to minimize generation loss when doing this sort of
    > thing?

    Don't edit and resave jpegs.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jul 16, 2004