    much. Thank you!

    John

    , May 19, 2005

  2. Jeremy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have to give 100 shots (in Kodak PhotoCD-format)to a book
    > producer.> (Why in PCD-format? Because with no(?) other format so many
    > "slides" at such a high resolution can be stored on 1 CD

    I do not believe this is possible in PCD format, because end-user editing
    software can only read, not write, in that proprietary format.

    As I understand it, PCD was conceived as an archival format--essentially a
    "digital negative." If the image files require any kind of editing, the
    resulting file would have to be saved in a currently-available format. That
    would probably be a TIF file at this point in time.

    Jeremy, May 21, 2005

  3. ASAAR Guest

    On 19 May 2005 07:19:05 -0700, wrote:

    > I have to give 100 shots (in Kodak PhotoCD-format)to a book
    > producer. And i want to be able to prove that I am the
    > owner of those pictures for the case, "somebody else"
    > will use them.
    > (Why in PCD-format? Because with no(?) other format so many
    > "slides" at such a high resolution can be stored on 1 CD
    > and because all necessary slides are already saved/scanned
    > to that format. The final page size of the book will be
    > 148mm x 210mm).

    That isn't true. The PCD format saves several resolutions, the
    highest being 3072x2048, which is equivalent what is produced by a
    6mp camera. Each PCD image is compressed, and the image files
    usually range from 4.5 to about 5MB. Compare this to the JPG files
    produced by a camera such as Canon's G6, which has a 7mp sensor.
    One that I downloaded from a review web site was barely over 4MB in
    size. The resolution of the JPG files produced by this camera will
    be comparable to that of what standard PCD files can hold, and a CD
    should be able to easily hold 100 of them. Probably more than 150.

    Converting the images from PCD to another format (JPG, TIF, etc.)
    may be undesirable, but it's not difficult at all, even if you do it
    manually rather than automating the conversion. The tough, time
    consuming, expensive part (scanning to create the Photo CD disks)
    has already been done. You can choose to stick with PCD files to
    avoid a little bit of extra effort, but then you probably won't be
    able to give watermarked files to the book publisher.

    ASAAR, May 22, 2005
  4. Ron Hunter Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have to give 100 shots (in Kodak PhotoCD-format)to a book
    >>producer.> (Why in PCD-format? Because with no(?) other format so many
    >>"slides" at such a high resolution can be stored on 1 CD

    > I do not believe this is possible in PCD format, because end-user editing
    > software can only read, not write, in that proprietary format.
    >
    > As I understand it, PCD was conceived as an archival format--essentially a
    > "digital negative." If the image files require any kind of editing, the
    > resulting file would have to be saved in a currently-available format. That
    > would probably be a TIF file at this point in time.

    More likely a PSD format, which is anything but small.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 22, 2005
  5. Ronald Baird Guest

    Greetings Jeremy,

    You are right.

    The original concept (about 1988) of the service was to digitize the images
    at the time of processing and deliver a Photo CD as an extra service. The
    user then would play them back on their TV. Kodak made players and such to
    do this. The idea was OK for a while but did not catch on - to early in the
    digital world for most general consumers. Computers had not become that
    popular just yet so the base for that media was not quite there. It was
    popular with professionals, however, and it remained so for some time.

    It was possible to have your slides or negatives scanned, and later up to
    4x5 in format. Since the file could be opened in programs like Photoshop,
    where it could be edited and improved, then saved as a TIFF, or other file
    format, it did begin to become popular with professional photographers that
    were getting into the digital world.

    The is proprietary format and is created as s WORM - which relates to Refers
    to electronic data storage in which the storage space on the optical disk
    can be written on only once; that is, once the information is stored on the
    disk, it cannot be edited (Write Once). However, the information on the disk
    can be read as many times as desired (Read Many Times). I am not clear on
    whether or not we included a digital watermark, but believe we did for some
    time.

    The service still exists in some reatailers and you can find more by going
    to the noted Photo CD site.

    http://www.kodak.com

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, May 26, 2005
  6. Jeremy Guest

    "Ronald Baird" <> wrote in message

    > The service still exists in some reatailers and you can find more by going
    > to the noted Photo CD site.
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com
    >
    > Talk to you soon,
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company

    I don't have the URL at hand, but I saw something on the Kodak web site, in
    the Professional category, that said the Photo CD was discontinued. Shall
    we assume that those labs that still offer it will drop it once their
    equipment becomes obsolete, or no more of those $10.00 Kodak CDs are
    available to them?

    Jeremy, May 26, 2005
  7. Ronald Baird Guest

    Hi Jeremy,

    The home page for Photo CD has this statement on it.

    "KODAK Photo CD hardware and software are discontinued. Photo CD-related
    information and some software downloads remain available online for those
    Kodak customers who wish to continue using their Photo CD products. However,
    Kodak no longer services or supports this system."

    Essentially, that Kodak is out of the loop on Photo CD equipment, although I
    believe there are som labs that have the systems and software that can still
    provide it if you like. Who they are can be found by searching the web. Try
    the following.

    http://www.twocardigital/kodakpcd.html
    Ron Baird

    Eastman Kodak Company