    you of copy the picture you are unable to do it.

    thanks.
    please email me.

    silvio, Nov 10, 2004

  2. (silvio) writes:

    > I have pictures that I want to post in the internet...what should i
    > do to prevent people copy them? I heard about one program that when
    > you click on the picture appeared a window saying "yo can not copy
    > this picture" and stop you of copy the picture you are unable to do
    > it.

    To display it on my monitor, the data has to be transferred to my
    computer. What you're asking for is impossible; it cannot be done.

    Nor does it matter much; screen-resolution versions of your photos
    have little or no value, so there's nothing to protect.

    To protect what value there *is* (and I have no idea what your photos
    are, maybe you have stuff with actual value for web display), pursue
    copyright registration, consider using digital watermarking and
    employing the service where the watermarking scans the web looking for
    photos with your watermark and reports them to you.

    The various scripts people tout mostly only prevent the ignorant from
    saving a copy of your photo; those who actually want to save a copy
    aren't ignorant. Furthermore, they fairly often fail to work, and
    prevent people from seeing the photo at all; or at least slow it down
    a lot. Furthermore, the stupider scripts tend to annoy people, and
    cause them to save a copy of your photo just because you said they
    couldn't.

    It can be made significantly harder, at the cost of locking out a lot
    of people, by doing something like this: Display it via an active-X
    plugin (you've just locked out everybody except Windows users running
    Internet Explorer) which connects to a special server on your system,
    which provides the photo in encrypted form. The plugin must know how
    to decrypt it and display it. And needs to do something to prevent
    screen capture from working. And I can *still* capture the image
    using one of the "virtual PC" programs.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 10, 2004

  3. "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    > (silvio) writes:
    > To protect what value there *is* (and I have no idea what your photos
    > are, maybe you have stuff with actual value for web display), pursue
    > copyright registration, consider using digital watermarking and
    > employing the service where the watermarking scans the web looking for
    > photos with your watermark and reports them to you.

    I went for the other option, using watermark software to add an overlay onto
    my images. If anyone wants one they only have to ask so I leave an email
    address on the site. I don't mind people using my photos as long as they
    either give me credit for it or ask nicely, I didn't used to watermark my
    images until someone broke both these rules.

    Brian Sheldon, Nov 10, 2004