  1. Is there a program to watch videos on the Internet that gets over the
    start/stop buffering problem?

    Patrick
    Patrick FitzGerald, Feb 20, 2009

  2. Patrick FitzGerald

    PeeCee Guest

    "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message

    > Is there a program to watch videos on the Internet that gets over the
    > start/stop buffering problem?
    >

    > Patrick

    Nothing to do with any 'program'
    All to do with the speed and quality of your Internet connection and where
    you're getting the video.

    Start/Stop Buffering suggests your net connection is not very fast - or -
    the site you are downloading from is slow or overworked.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Feb 20, 2009

  3. Patrick FitzGerald

    Richard Guest

    Patrick FitzGerald wrote:
    > Is there a program to watch videos on the Internet that gets over the
    > start/stop buffering problem?

    Yes, its called change ISP - I cant watch youtube at mums place on xnet
    again - a low quality one will almost play without stopping, but choose
    a high quality one and forget it - 10 seconds or so will play, then wait
    20 or so, etc.

    So just pause it, and keep browsing in another tab and come back to it.
    Hopeless if you are viewing in a RSS reader so you have to open the
    article page in its own tab which gets annoying and kinda defeats the
    purpose.
    Richard, Feb 20, 2009
  4. Patrick FitzGerald

    Peter M Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:37:52 +1300, Patrick FitzGerald <> wrote:

    >Is there a program to watch videos on the Internet that gets over the
    >start/stop buffering problem?
    >

    >Patrick

    Yes its called Broadband..
    Peter M, Feb 20, 2009
  5. Patrick FitzGerald

    oneofus Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Patrick FitzGerald <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a program to watch videos on the Internet that gets over the
    >> start/stop buffering problem?
    >>

    >> Patrick

    > well, depending on the new law your problems may be starting...any
    > complaints could see you disconnected.

    I think I might start teasing them, sorry I appear to have inadvertantly
    downloaded a copyrighted file, is that OK ?
    Perhaps I'll copyright a piece of text then send it off to an MP then
    complain to their ISP.
    After sending it repeatedly their ISP will have to terminate their account.
    And they can't see that it is copyright without downloading it.
    I'll trademark the term "copyright bomb" with a little graphic.
    oneofus, Feb 21, 2009
  6. Patrick FitzGerald

    Your Name Guest

    "Peter M" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:37:52 +1300, Patrick FitzGerald <> wrote:
    >

    > >Is there a program to watch videos on the Internet that gets over the
    > >start/stop buffering problem?

    > Yes its called Broadband..

    In real countries it is indeed called broadband, but the "broadband" that we
    get in this fourth world country can't even "stream" a static JPEG without
    pauses. ;-)
    Your Name, Feb 21, 2009
  7. Patrick FitzGerald

    Craig Shore Guest

    wrote:

    >Is there a program to watch videos on the Internet that gets over the
    >start/stop buffering problem?

    Download the video and play it outside of your browser. WMV etc you
    should be able to right click the link to the video and use "save as",
    if it's flash (.flv) then a plugin for Mozilla Firefox called Video
    DownloadHelper will allow you to save them (it just sets them up as a
    download in Firefox). You can then play them with FLV Player.

    Video DownloadHelper
    or
    http://www.downloadhelper.net/

    FLV Platyer
    http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/
    Craig Shore, Feb 21, 2009
  8. Patrick FitzGerald

    Peter M Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 18:52:34 +1300, Craig Shore <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:37:52 +1300, Patrick FitzGerald <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Is there a program to watch videos on the Internet that gets over the
    >>start/stop buffering problem?

    >Download the video and play it outside of your browser. WMV etc you
    >should be able to right click the link to the video and use "save as",
    >if it's flash (.flv) then a plugin for Mozilla Firefox called Video
    >DownloadHelper will allow you to save them (it just sets them up as a
    >download in Firefox). You can then play them with FLV Player.
    >
    >Video DownloadHelper
    >https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006
    >or
    >http://www.downloadhelper.net/
    >
    >FLV Platyer
    >http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/

    But no so good if you are on Dial up..
    Peter M, Feb 21, 2009
  9. Patrick FitzGerald

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:26:49 +1300, Peter M <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 18:52:34 +1300, Craig Shore <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:37:52 +1300, Patrick FitzGerald <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is there a program to watch videos on the Internet that gets over the
    >>>start/stop buffering problem?

    >>Download the video and play it outside of your browser. WMV etc you
    >>should be able to right click the link to the video and use "save as",
    >>if it's flash (.flv) then a plugin for Mozilla Firefox called Video
    >>DownloadHelper will allow you to save them (it just sets them up as a
    >>download in Firefox). You can then play them with FLV Player.
    >>
    >>Video DownloadHelper
    >>https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006
    >>or
    >>http://www.downloadhelper.net/
    >>
    >>FLV Platyer
    >>http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/

    >But no so good if you are on Dial up..

    It'll take a while to download the video, but only the same length of
    time it would trying to watch it stream live. Advantage is it'll play
    smoothly once it's downloaded.
    Craig Shore, Feb 21, 2009
  10. Patrick FitzGerald

    Cima Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:26:49 +1300, Peter M <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 18:52:34 +1300, Craig Shore <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:37:52 +1300, Patrick FitzGerald <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is there a program to watch videos on the Internet that gets over the
    >>>start/stop buffering problem?

    >>Download the video and play it outside of your browser. WMV etc you
    >>should be able to right click the link to the video and use "save as",
    >>if it's flash (.flv) then a plugin for Mozilla Firefox called Video
    >>DownloadHelper will allow you to save them (it just sets them up as a
    >>download in Firefox). You can then play them with FLV Player.
    >>
    >>Video DownloadHelper
    >>https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006
    >>or
    >>http://www.downloadhelper.net/
    >>
    >>FLV Platyer
    >>http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/

    >But no so good if you are on Dial up..

    Is anything good on dialup?
    Cima, Feb 21, 2009
  11. Patrick FitzGerald

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Cima wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:26:49 +1300, Peter M <>
    > wrote:
    >> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 18:52:34 +1300, Craig Shore
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Download the video and play it outside of your browser. WMV etc you
    >>> should be able to right click the link to the video and use "save
    >>> as", if it's flash (.flv) then a plugin for Mozilla Firefox called
    >>> Video DownloadHelper will allow you to save them (it just sets them
    >>> up as a download in Firefox). You can then play them with FLV
    >>> Player.
    >>>
    >>> Video DownloadHelper
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006
    >>> or
    >>> http://www.downloadhelper.net/
    >>>
    >>> FLV Platyer
    >>> http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/

    >> But no so good if you are on Dial up..

    > Is anything good on dialup?

    Porn. It's all about the anticipation....

    Or so I'm told. I have ADSL. ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 21, 2009
  12. On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:37:52 +1300, Patrick FitzGerald <>
    wrote:

    >Is there a program to watch videos on the Internet that gets over the
    >start/stop buffering problem?

    Thanks to all who responded , your advice is valued.

    Patrick
    Patrick FitzGerald, Feb 21, 2009
  13. In article <>, Cima <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >Is anything good on dialup?

    Price and reliability are. :)
    No data caps, no worries about slow downs when you hit them, no worries
    about sudden extra bills.

    Yeah ... pretty much everything compared (as has been suggested by others)
    to the NZ lack of real broadband at fair prices. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 23, 2009
  14. Patrick FitzGerald

    Matty F Guest

    On Feb 21, 9:37 am, Patrick FitzGerald <> wrote:
    > Is there a program to watch videos on the Internet that gets over the
    > start/stop buffering problem?

    If you get Youtubedownloader (free) you can download the video
    (probably flv format) and convert it to a format (e.g. wmv) that you
    can play at any time without having to connect the the Net. It will
    then play at full speed without the hesitations.
    http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/
    Matty F, Feb 25, 2009
  15. On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:15:51 -0800 (PST), Matty F
    <> wrote:

    >On Feb 21, 9:37 am, Patrick FitzGerald <> wrote:
    >> Is there a program to watch videos on the Internet that gets over the
    >> start/stop buffering problem?

    >If you get Youtubedownloader (free) you can download the video
    >(probably flv format) and convert it to a format (e.g. wmv) that you
    >can play at any time without having to connect the the Net. It will
    >then play at full speed without the hesitations.
    >http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

    No need for conversion - there is plenty of software that will play
    FLV files. Conversion of any video file just degrades its quality, so
    you want to avoid doing that unless really necessary.
    Stephen Worthington, Feb 25, 2009