    these probes would be "bots" running constantly, but
    it doesn't look like it from here.

    johns

    johns, Oct 14, 2004

  2. johns

    Celtic Leroy Guest

    "johns" <> wrote:

    >Every day at random times, I see my firewall pop up
    >and block some kind of probe .. kaung2, dabber.

    It's the long range probes that will hurt you...

    >Looks to me like these probes are very intentional
    >with the creep sitting at his PC actually watching the
    >results. Everybody on the hall sees it at about the

    This "hall" you speak of...is it in a school?

    >same time, and then it is gone. I would think most of
    >these probes would be "bots" running constantly, but
    >it doesn't look like it from here.

    "bots", I assume that you've experienced the normal bots that run full
    tilt until someone comes along and pulls the plug. So, ya haven't
    heard of those new AI bots? They take their time, scoping you out and
    watching. When the time is right they will jump into your system,
    start talking to your CPU (you'll notice the lack of cycles), and bore
    it to death with stories of designing databases while trying to get
    its human counterpart's attention. BTW, you mentioned "it doesn't
    look like it from here", where's "here"?

    >johns

    nice to meet you johns...are you safe?

    Celtic Leroy, Oct 14, 2004

  3. johns

    me Guest

    most probes are intentional, individuals with too much time on their hands
    and not enough common sense. Don't give out any details on what type of
    firewall you are using, or anything else. Hackers and other people of low
    reputation read these newsgroups too, looking for easy targets. There will
    be two types of attacks on a computer system--targets of opportunity or a
    particular computer system that has been intentionally targeted for attack.
    If you are a target of opportunity then your system is visible in some form
    on the internet--I'm assuming your on the internet. If you are not running
    a stealth firewall or in some fashion your firewall is not configured to
    stealth all ports, then I suggest you find one and find one quickly. If an
    attacker--or would be attacker knows your system is online it will only be a
    matter of time before they find a way around your firewall. Second
    suggestion--don't use a static ip address. If your address is not
    dynamic(changes every time you go online) then it will be easier to find
    your system. The less details you give away about your defenses the better.
    Third, never use a real email address--makes your email account a target of
    opportunity. The first step attackers will use, and the first thing
    everyone should realize is--any information you give out--any at all, can
    and will be used against you by a hacker. So, the less information you give
    is better.

    me, Oct 14, 2004
  4. johns

    Moe Trin Guest

    In article <ckl0q4$1gkp$>, johns wrote:
    >Every day at random times, I see my firewall pop up
    >and block some kind of probe .. kaung2, dabber.

    Their main use is telling the ones who use it that some host in Korea or
    Kenya attempted to connect to a trojan that they don't have installed.

    >Looks to me like these probes are very intentional
    >with the creep sitting at his PC actually watching the
    >results. Everybody on the hall sees it at about the
    >same time, and then it is gone. I would think most of
    >these probes would be "bots" running constantly, but
    >it doesn't look like it from here.

    Nope! The Cabel (TINC) is secretly watching _YOU_ because they know you
    are trying to hide something. You'd better disconnect the computer
    because it's being used to spy on you. If you return the computer
    to the store where you bought it, they'll even be able to give you a
    complete tin-foil suit, nevermind just the hat. Using that, you'll
    be protected, and can then go to the library and get some books on
    how computer programs and the Internet work.

    Sheesh!

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Oct 15, 2004