watching mpg's

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Shitty Chicken, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. How do I watch a movie someone has posted?
    I figured out how to download pictures but I can't figure out the movie part

    Shitty Chicken, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Shitty Chicken

    Brian H¹© Guest

    In a desperate cry for help Shitty Chicken said:

    > How do I watch a movie someone has posted?
    > I figured out how to download pictures but I can't figure out the movie part

    Check the help files for combine & decode.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    Brian H¹©, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Thanks I was only combining and decoding picture posts to save sets at once
    and did not realize that "combine and decode" had anything to do with video.
    Thanks a buntch

    Shitty Chicken, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Shitty Chicken

    gangle Guest

    "Shitty Chicken" wrote
    > How do I watch a movie someone has posted?
    > I figured out how to download pictures but I can't figure
    > out the movie part.

    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries:
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE5 or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    Note: OE does not internally decode yEnc messages.
    You must use a third-party program to acheive this,
    the easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/

    Again, I suggest that, for binaries, it would be more
    practical to just switch to one of the dedicated newsreaders
    mentioned above, which all handle yEnc internally.

    gangle, Jul 9, 2003