Watching DVDs on a computer monitor

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Opticreep, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. Opticreep

    Opticreep Guest

    When I lean back on my comfy computer desk chair, I noticed that my
    21" monitor takes up much more of my viewing area that my TV ever
    could. Most people seem to take for granted the advantage computer
    monitors have over television sets. I usually sit about 20 inches
    away from the monitor, and the effective size of the screen is much,
    much bigger than what I get sitting 7 feet away from my 35" TV.

    In fact, I did some casual calculations... and I *think* that it'll
    take a huge 52" TV screen for a viewer sitting 7 feet away to see the
    same effective screen size as a person sitting 20 inches in front of a
    21" monitor.

    Now, a big screen TV has the big advantage of allowing multiple
    viewers to watch a movie simultaneously. Without question, big TVs
    are better for multiple viewers. But if I'm watching a movie by my
    lonesome self, aren't I better off just watching it on a large 21"
    computer monitor rather than a medium sized 35" TV set?

    For some reason, I've had always been kind of prejudiced against
    watching movies on computer screens. But now I'm thinking that a good
    computer monitor will always have better image quality than even the
    high-end HDTVs out there. And unless I'm watching a movie with other
    people, maybe I'm better off simply watching DVDs on my 21" monitor
    rather than my 35" TV?

    Opticreep, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Opticreep wrote in <>:

    >For some reason, I've had always been kind of prejudiced against
    >watching movies on computer screens. But now I'm thinking that a good
    >computer monitor will always have better image quality than even the
    >high-end HDTVs out there. And unless I'm watching a movie with other
    >people, maybe I'm better off simply watching DVDs on my 21" monitor
    >rather than my 35" TV?

    Agreed, if you don't have any friends a computer is a much better
    investment than a home theater setup. Get a really nice LCD
    screen--the sharp resolution will also make all that anime porn more
    fun to jerk off to.

    Steve Hanson (MVP+1), Oct 18, 2004

  3. Opticreep wrote:

    > Now, a big screen TV has the big advantage of allowing multiple
    > viewers to watch a movie simultaneously. Without question, big TVs
    > are better for multiple viewers. But if I'm watching a movie by my
    > lonesome self, aren't I better off just watching it on a large 21"
    > computer monitor rather than a medium sized 35" TV set?

    I view Movies on my Monitor they look better but TV show look alot better on
    the TV than my monitor.

    Quantum Leaper, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Opticreep wrote:

    > And unless I'm watching a movie with other
    > people, maybe I'm better off simply watching DVDs on my 21" monitor
    > rather than my 35" TV?

    Some interesting thoughts, but I'll stick with
    my 73" widescreen as well as the 11 speaker
    system being powered by my Yamaha Z1 receiver.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Oct 18, 2004
  5. Opticreep

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Opticreep" <> wrote in message
    > When I lean back on my comfy computer desk chair, I noticed that my
    > 21" monitor takes up much more of my viewing area that my TV ever
    > could. Most people seem to take for granted the advantage computer
    > monitors have over television sets. I usually sit about 20 inches
    > away from the monitor, and the effective size of the screen is much,
    > much bigger than what I get sitting 7 feet away from my 35" TV.

    Get a bigger TV. I have a 20 LCD display on my computer, but I
    still prefer to watch movies on my 65 inch widescreen HDTV
    at a distance of 8 feet.

    Mark Jones, Oct 19, 2004
  6. Opticreep

    Opticreep Guest

    Darrel Christenson <> wrote in message news:<B_Wcd.205230$wV.140157@attbi_s54>...

    > Some interesting thoughts, but I'll stick with
    > my 73" widescreen as well as the 11 speaker
    > system being powered by my Yamaha Z1 receiver.

    Damn you and your Bush top 0.5% percentile tax cuts! :)

    Opticreep, Oct 19, 2004