    slamming the avi onto a CD. Is there a setting on my DVD player I need
    to set maybe?

    THANKS

    Erich93063, Oct 25, 2007

  2. Erich93063

    Mark W Guest

    "Erich93063" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > ok sorry if this has been discussed a thousand times but I cant figure
    > this out and I've been searching all over for some answers. I have a
    > Yamaha standalone DVD player that can play Divx movies. So I download
    > a Divx avi and when I watch it on my computer and it looks GREAT.
    > Crystal clear, no problems. Then I burn it onto a CD or DVD depending
    > how big it is and when I watch it on my DVD player it looks like crap.
    > It looks like there a missing frames or something. The action looks
    > really weird and doesn't quite sync up with the audio and it looks a
    > little blurry. Is there something I need to be doing besides just
    > slamming the avi onto a CD. Is there a setting on my DVD player I need
    > to set maybe?
    >
    > THANKS

    Check the DVD player is capable of playing DivX at the bitrate of your
    chosen AVIs, and the latest version of the codec it supports.

    Mark W, Oct 25, 2007

  3. Erich93063

    Guest

    On Oct 25, 9:44 am, Erich93063 <> wrote:
    > ok sorry if this has been discussed a thousand times but I cant figure
    > this out and I've been searching all over for some answers. I have a
    > Yamaha standalone DVD player that can play Divx movies. So I download
    > a Divx avi and when I watch it on my computer and it looks GREAT.
    > Crystal clear, no problems. Then I burn it onto a CD or DVD depending
    > how big it is and when I watch it on my DVD player it looks like crap.
    > It looks like there a missing frames or something. The action looks
    > really weird and doesn't quite sync up with the audio and it looks a
    > little blurry. Is there something I need to be doing besides just
    > slamming the avi onto a CD. Is there a setting on my DVD player I need
    > to set maybe?

    Most DVD players suck at playing Divx files. Divx requires a LOT more
    CPU muscle to decode than a DVD (it's much more heavily compressed).
    You're not going to find that kind of muscle in most stand-alone
    players, hence you get artifacting, frame drops, poor audio/video
    sync. etc.

    -Eric

    , Nov 2, 2007
  4. Erich93063

    Mutley Guest

    wrote:

    >On Oct 25, 9:44 am, Erich93063 <> wrote:
    >> ok sorry if this has been discussed a thousand times but I cant figure
    >> this out and I've been searching all over for some answers. I have a
    >> Yamaha standalone DVD player that can play Divx movies. So I download
    >> a Divx avi and when I watch it on my computer and it looks GREAT.
    >> Crystal clear, no problems. Then I burn it onto a CD or DVD depending
    >> how big it is and when I watch it on my DVD player it looks like crap.
    >> It looks like there a missing frames or something. The action looks
    >> really weird and doesn't quite sync up with the audio and it looks a
    >> little blurry. Is there something I need to be doing besides just
    >> slamming the avi onto a CD. Is there a setting on my DVD player I need
    >> to set maybe?

    >Most DVD players suck at playing Divx files. Divx requires a LOT more
    >CPU muscle to decode than a DVD (it's much more heavily compressed).
    >You're not going to find that kind of muscle in most stand-alone
    >players, hence you get artifacting, frame drops, poor audio/video
    >sync. etc.
    >
    >-Eric

    Well I have a Pioneer DV 490 and it plays all Divx, Xvid and Mpeg 4
    stuff that conforms to PAL 720x576 standard or lower perfectly. Just
    a pity it won't play anything of a higher resolution. Guess I need to
    get a Tvix for that :)

    Mutley, Nov 4, 2007