    Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and Mobiles...
    Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung fronts up on Internet
    speeds, call pricing and accusations of anti-competitive practices.
    Craig Shore, Feb 21, 2006

  2. Craig Shore

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:05:21 +1300, Craig Shore
    <> wrote:

    >Campbell Live is doing an article on the internet in NZ not being as quick as it
    >should be tomorrow, Wed 22nd.
    >
    >Quoting from the TV3 WWW site,
    >
    >Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and Mobiles...
    >Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung fronts up on Internet
    >speeds, call pricing and accusations of anti-competitive practices.

    Was just about to post the same thing. Apparently Campbell is
    dedicating the whole programme to it.
    GraB, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Craig Shore

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:05:21 +1300, Craig Shore
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Campbell Live is doing an article on the internet in NZ not being as
    >> quick as it should be tomorrow, Wed 22nd.
    >>
    >> Quoting from the TV3 WWW site,
    >>
    >> Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and
    >> Mobiles... Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung
    >> fronts up on Internet speeds, call pricing and accusations of
    >> anti-competitive practices.
    >>

    > Was just about to post the same thing. Apparently Campbell is
    > dedicating the whole programme to it.

    Thanks for the heads up gentlemen.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 21, 2006
  4. Craig Shore

    SteveM Guest

    Craig Shore <> wrote in

    > Campbell Live is doing an article on the internet in NZ not being as
    > quick as it should be tomorrow, Wed 22nd.
    >
    > Quoting from the TV3 WWW site,
    >
    > Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and
    > Mobiles... Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung
    > fronts up on Internet speeds, call pricing and accusations of
    > anti-competitive practices.

    Should be interestng considering that Telecom is the main sponsor
    of Campbell Live. Will he take it easy on her...and Telecom in general???

    SteveM
    SteveM, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Craig Shore

    Nho Whei Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Campbell Live is doing an article on the internet in NZ not being as quick as it
    >should be tomorrow, Wed 22nd.
    >
    >Quoting from the TV3 WWW site,
    >
    >Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and Mobiles...
    >Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung fronts up on Internet
    >speeds, call pricing and accusations of anti-competitive practices.

    An excellent programme,Campbell Live. I wonder who sponsors it?
    Nho Whei, Feb 21, 2006
  6. Craig Shore

    Nho Whei Guest

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:49:12 +1300, Nho Whei <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:05:21 +1300, Craig Shore
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Campbell Live is doing an article on the internet in NZ not being as quick as it
    >>should be tomorrow, Wed 22nd.
    >>
    >>Quoting from the TV3 WWW site,
    >>
    >>Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and Mobiles...
    >>Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung fronts up on Internet
    >>speeds, call pricing and accusations of anti-competitive practices.
    >>

    >An excellent programme,Campbell Live. I wonder who sponsors it?

    Last weekend's Mediawatch on National Radio promises this was in the
    offing.
    Nho Whei, Feb 21, 2006
  7. Craig Shore

    Mutlley Guest

    SteveM <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore <> wrote in
    >
    >> Campbell Live is doing an article on the internet in NZ not being as
    >> quick as it should be tomorrow, Wed 22nd.
    >>
    >> Quoting from the TV3 WWW site,
    >>
    >> Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and
    >> Mobiles... Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung
    >> fronts up on Internet speeds, call pricing and accusations of
    >> anti-competitive practices.
    >>

    >Should be interestng considering that Telecom is the main sponsor
    >of Campbell Live. Will he take it easy on her...and Telecom in general???
    >
    >SteveM

    Wondered about that myself
    Mutlley, Feb 21, 2006
  8. Craig Shore

    Tony Guest

    > Campbell Live is doing an article on the internet in NZ not being as quick as it
    > should be tomorrow, Wed 22nd.
    >
    > Quoting from the TV3 WWW site,
    >
    > Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and Mobiles...
    > Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung fronts up on Internet
    > speeds, call pricing and accusations of anti-competitive practices.

    I'm sure Theresa will just deny everything and carry on doing what she
    always does.
    But you have to wonder if she might get the idea that enough is enough.
    Tony, Feb 21, 2006
  9. Craig Shore

    Philip Roy Guest

    > >Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and
    > >Mobiles...
    > >Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung fronts up on Internet
    > >speeds, call pricing and accusations of anti-competitive practices.
    > >

    > An excellent programme,Campbell Live. I wonder who sponsors it?

    Off tangent slightly, but I find it amusing that the Telecom ads that
    promote they are sponsoring Campbell Live portray people missing the
    program....one where they're on a mobile walking the street and the
    other because they're on the home phone with the TV turned down??

    Phil
    --
    NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
    http://www.nzmac.com
    Philip Roy, Feb 22, 2006
  10. Craig Shore

    XPD Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > Campbell Live is doing an article on the internet in NZ not being as quick
    > as it
    > should be tomorrow, Wed 22nd.
    >
    > Quoting from the TV3 WWW site,
    >
    > Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and
    > Mobiles...
    > Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung fronts up on
    > Internet
    > speeds, call pricing and accusations of anti-competitive practices.

    Hope someones got their capture card working to record this.... :)
    XPD, Feb 22, 2006
  11. Craig Shore

    David Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > Campbell Live is doing an article on the internet in NZ not being as quick as it
    > should be tomorrow, Wed 22nd.
    >
    > Quoting from the TV3 WWW site,
    >
    > Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and Mobiles...
    > Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung fronts up on Internet
    > speeds, call pricing and accusations of anti-competitive practices.

    Damn, read this about 57 minutes too late. Anyone care to share a brief
    overview of what happened?
    David, Feb 22, 2006
  12. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:58:24 +1300, David <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >> Campbell Live is doing an article on the internet in NZ not being as quick as it
    >> should be tomorrow, Wed 22nd.
    >>
    >> Quoting from the TV3 WWW site,
    >>
    >> Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and Mobiles...
    >> Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung fronts up on Internet
    >> speeds, call pricing and accusations of anti-competitive practices.
    >>

    >Damn, read this about 57 minutes too late. Anyone care to share a brief
    >overview of what happened?

    I've got it recorded as a 2gb mpeg2, i'll compress it with divx and share it
    with bittorrent if I can figure out how.
    Craig Shore, Feb 22, 2006
  13. Craig Shore

    Crash Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Campbell Live is doing an article on the internet in NZ not being as quick
    >>as it
    >>should be tomorrow, Wed 22nd.
    >>
    >>Quoting from the TV3 WWW site,
    >>
    >>Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and
    >>Mobiles...
    >>Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung fronts up on
    >>Internet
    >>speeds, call pricing and accusations of anti-competitive practices.
    >>

    > Hope someones got their capture card working to record this.... :)

    Wish I had recorded it now just to see how my first-impressions stand up.

    The program was fairly tough on Telecom. The grilling of Theresa Gattung was
    fairly tough and her responses were the same-old same-old because defending a
    monopoly on local loop is an impossible ask.

    The most interesting segment for me was the interview with Minister Cunliffe.
    It seems to me that the status quo will not survive - that the rulkes will be
    changed with announcement oif this by mid-year. Temper this with polly-reality
    though that even the most obvious U-turn can always later be spun as an
    always-intended course of action.

    My concern is the effect of unbundling - that could lead to short-term
    competition but long-term dominance of telecommunications by few companies all
    based offshore. TelstraClear is a particular threat - owned by Telstra. If
    unbundling generates more competion in the NZ market place then that is fine
    only if the new players are not owned by foreign telcos that dwarf Telecom in
    size. We could have perhaps 5-10 new players in the short term but be down to 2
    or 3 within 5 years. One of them will be TelstraClear and it is by no means
    guaranteed that Telecom as a NZ-based company will be one of the others.

    Crash.
    Crash, Feb 22, 2006
  14. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:34:34 +1300, Crash <> wrote:

    >My concern is the effect of unbundling - that could lead to short-term
    >competition but long-term dominance of telecommunications by few companies all
    >based offshore. TelstraClear is a particular threat - owned by Telstra. If
    >unbundling generates more competion in the NZ market place then that is fine
    >only if the new players are not owned by foreign telcos that dwarf Telecom in
    >size. We could have perhaps 5-10 new players in the short term but be down to 2
    >or 3 within 5 years. One of them will be TelstraClear and it is by no means
    >guaranteed that Telecom as a NZ-based company will be one of the others.

    Even if it's unbundled, I would assume that means anyone can have access to the
    copper at the local exchange, you would still need to install a high speed
    backbone of your own to each exchange. While that is a lot cheaper than wiring
    to the gate, I would imagine it would still be a fairly expensive exercise that
    only a few very financial companies could afford.
    Craig Shore, Feb 22, 2006
  15. Craig Shore

    J.wilson Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message

    > Damn, read this about 57 minutes too late. Anyone care to share a brief
    > overview of what happened?

    Nothing of note. Gattung repeated that Telecom was a great company
    and will continue to advance great broadband services in nz.
    Cambell said not really true and everyone had had a gutsful.
    Cunliff agreed and said yes they are talking about doing something
    about it, later, middle of the year, maybe, difficulties etc. wait
    and see.
    J.wilson, Feb 22, 2006
  16. Craig Shore

    Richard Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:05:21 +1300, Craig Shore
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Campbell Live is doing an article on the internet in NZ not being as quick as it
    >>should be tomorrow, Wed 22nd.
    >>
    >>Quoting from the TV3 WWW site,
    >>
    >>Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and Mobiles...
    >>Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung fronts up on Internet
    >>speeds, call pricing and accusations of anti-competitive practices.
    >>

    > Was just about to post the same thing. Apparently Campbell is
    > dedicating the whole programme to it.

    Did anyone record it and are able to put up a torrent of it at all?
    Richard, Feb 22, 2006
  17. Craig Shore

    David Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:58:24 +1300, David <> wrote:
    >
    >> Craig Shore wrote:
    >>> Campbell Live is doing an article on the internet in NZ not being as quick as it
    >>> should be tomorrow, Wed 22nd.
    >>>
    >>> Quoting from the TV3 WWW site,
    >>>
    >>> Wednesday at 7:00pm... THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY Broadband and Mobiles...
    >>> Are we being ripped off? Telecom boss Theresa Gattung fronts up on Internet
    >>> speeds, call pricing and accusations of anti-competitive practices.
    >>>

    >> Damn, read this about 57 minutes too late. Anyone care to share a brief
    >> overview of what happened?

    > I've got it recorded as a 2gb mpeg2, i'll compress it with divx and share it
    > with bittorrent if I can figure out how.

    Thanks for the offer, I've already found a torrent on a certain torrent
    site...
    David, Feb 22, 2006
  18. Craig Shore

    Nova Guest

    David wrote:
    > Craig Shore wrote:

    >>> Damn, read this about 57 minutes too late. Anyone care to share a
    >>> brief overview of what happened?

    >> I've got it recorded as a 2gb mpeg2, i'll compress it with divx and
    >> share it
    >> with bittorrent if I can figure out how.
    >>

    > Thanks for the offer, I've already found a torrent on a certain torrent
    > site...

    What site is that? I am quite keen on taking a look at it..
    Nova, Feb 22, 2006
  19. Craig Shore

    David Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >> Craig Shore wrote:

    >>> I've got it recorded as a 2gb mpeg2, i'll compress it with divx and
    >>> share it
    >>> with bittorrent if I can figure out how.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the offer, I've already found a torrent on a certain
    >> torrent site...

    > What site is that? I am quite keen on taking a look at it..

    Can you give me an email address? I don't want to post it, or the 10mbit
    HTTP direct download here (at least not until I've finished downloading
    it :D)
    David, Feb 22, 2006
  20. Craig Shore

    Richard Guest

    > Can you give me an email address? I don't want to post it, or the 10mbit
    > HTTP direct download here (at least not until I've finished downloading
    > it :D)

    If you can send it to me too please :) address is valid...
    Richard, Feb 22, 2006