Wasn't doing anything else

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PhotoPhartz, May 20, 2013.

  1. PhotoPhartz

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    With the recent purchase of a Canon SX500 IS SUPERzoom P&S there was this
    personal resurgence of photographic interest in me so I've spent the last
    couple of weeks reading all 82,896 posts of this group that eternal-
    september has archived. Really. Gotta say I feel like I know and love
    each and every one of you. Really. My name is Pat or PhotoPhartz. I'm
    in SoCal.

    That said, I've had a lot of fun putting the SX500 IS through it's paces.
    The flexibility of the zoom lense is fabulous. The short end is wider
    than my previous Powershot A550 and the long is in a whole 'nuther world.
    As expected low light is not it's real forté but I've gotten pretty
    interesting results with timed exposures and pretty dim conditions. Out
    in the sun the thing works great.

    Monopod or my little tabletop tripod are most helpful when in the far
    zooming ranges. This is my first camera without an optical viewfinder -
    and I miss it.

    I've put up a few of the better shots out of the almost 700 taken in the
    last couple weeks since getting the camera. I can't seem to link you to
    all albums, for you to choose, so these links are for individual albums.
    There's 3~6 shots in each album. Some of the moon from last night,
    telephoto bird shots, macro flower shots, wild(?)life, and other stuff.
    I hope you'll take a look.

    Moon:
    http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/E7ps57kR3Ep

    Outside:
    http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/HmngpgSQyeu

    Flowers:
    http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/BEcGTtgZ2aU

    Lizards:
    http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/Cmvnrdds8a2

    Clown:
    http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/GMVct3uScsQ

    Birds:
    http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/DjzxVLhppNA

    I'm holding out a few shots that I'll submit to the furniture SI. Other
    than a bland pic of my bar-b-que I don't have much going for that mandate
    yet. There's still time . . .

    --

    Pat

    email: phartzATcoxDOTnet
    PhotoPhartz, May 20, 2013

  2. PhotoPhartz

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 20 May 2013 02:42:42 +0000 (UTC), PhotoPhartz
    <> wrote:

    >With the recent purchase of a Canon SX500 IS SUPERzoom P&S there was this
    >personal resurgence of photographic interest in me so I've spent the last
    >couple of weeks reading all 82,896 posts of this group that eternal-
    >september has archived. Really. Gotta say I feel like I know and love
    >each and every one of you. Really. My name is Pat or PhotoPhartz. I'm
    >in SoCal.
    >
    >That said, I've had a lot of fun putting the SX500 IS through it's paces.
    >The flexibility of the zoom lense is fabulous. The short end is wider
    >than my previous Powershot A550 and the long is in a whole 'nuther world.
    >As expected low light is not it's real forté but I've gotten pretty
    >interesting results with timed exposures and pretty dim conditions. Out
    >in the sun the thing works great.
    >
    >Monopod or my little tabletop tripod are most helpful when in the far
    >zooming ranges. This is my first camera without an optical viewfinder -
    >and I miss it.
    >
    >I've put up a few of the better shots out of the almost 700 taken in the
    >last couple weeks since getting the camera. I can't seem to link you to
    >all albums, for you to choose, so these links are for individual albums.
    >There's 3~6 shots in each album. Some of the moon from last night,
    >telephoto bird shots, macro flower shots, wild(?)life, and other stuff.
    >I hope you'll take a look.
    >

    >Moon:
    > http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/E7ps57kR3Ep
    >
    >Outside:
    > http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/HmngpgSQyeu
    >
    >Flowers:
    > http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/BEcGTtgZ2aU
    >
    >Lizards:
    > http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/Cmvnrdds8a2
    >
    >Clown:
    > http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/GMVct3uScsQ
    >
    >Birds:
    > http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/DjzxVLhppNA
    >

    >I'm holding out a few shots that I'll submit to the furniture SI. Other
    >than a bland pic of my bar-b-que I don't have much going for that mandate
    >yet. There's still time . . .

    Nice, sharp images for the most part. The colors seem a bit saturated
    (especially in the flowers), but very saturated images do have "pop".

    Work a little on composition. Your subject need not be the center of
    the image.

    Looking forward to your "Furniture" images.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, May 20, 2013

  3. PhotoPhartz

    Phantom Post Guest

    Tony Cooper <> wrote in

    > Nice, sharp images for the most part. The colors seem a bit saturated
    > (especially in the flowers), but very saturated images do have "pop".

    Thanks for your comments. I haven't done anything in post as far as color
    adjustments go. The sunset shot did have the "vivid" color setting on on
    the camera just as an experiment. I do like the intense colors but I'll
    have to think about and play with the saturation aspect of things.

    --

    Pat

    email: phartzATcoxDOTnet
    Phantom Post, May 20, 2013
  4. PhotoPhartz <> wrote:
    > Outside:
    > http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/HmngpgSQyeu

    Nice one. Works. Draws the eye.
    Not totally centered, but symmetric --- yet not a mirror
    image. Nice blue colour, large enough blue patches to work, small
    enough not to overly dominate the image. The tendrils left
    help to break the symmetry. Left: sunshine, right: shadow.

    I think one of the important things in the image is that you
    got the size of the coloured spaces quite right (some colours
    are weaker and thus need more space to be in balance to other,
    "stronger" colours).

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 20, 2013
  5. PhotoPhartz

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    Wolfgang Weisselberg <> wrote in news:j3kp6a-
    :

    > PhotoPhartz <> wrote:
    >> Outside:
    >> http://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/m/HmngpgSQyeu

    > Nice one. Works. Draws the eye.
    > Not totally centered, but symmetric --- yet not a mirror
    > image. Nice blue colour, large enough blue patches to work, small
    > enough not to overly dominate the image. The tendrils left
    > help to break the symmetry. Left: sunshine, right: shadow.
    >
    > I think one of the important things in the image is that you
    > got the size of the coloured spaces quite right (some colours
    > are weaker and thus need more space to be in balance to other,
    > "stronger" colours).
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    Thanks for your comments. Appreciated.

    --