    What is the best way of preventing this??

    Thanks for all your help

    Chris

    Chris, Apr 14, 2004

  2. In article <To5fc.20$pL6.3@newsfe1-win>,
    "Chris" <> wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > i have just bought a packard bell dsc 400 digital camera. i am pleased with
    > it but i have noticed that some indoor shots are coming out with peoples
    > faces just white! ie washed out.
    >
    > What is the best way of preventing this??
    >
    > Thanks for all your help
    >
    > Chris

    You're getting too much illumination from the flash. Turn on more
    lights in the room so less flash power is used. Lengthen the shutter
    time if you can. If all that fails, take the camera back.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Apr 14, 2004

  3. Chris

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <>,
    Kevin McMurtrie <> writes
    >In article <To5fc.20$pL6.3@newsfe1-win>,
    > "Chris" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> i have just bought a packard bell dsc 400 digital camera. i am pleased with
    >> it but i have noticed that some indoor shots are coming out with peoples
    >> faces just white! ie washed out.
    >>
    >> What is the best way of preventing this??
    >>
    >> Thanks for all your help
    >>
    >> Chris

    >You're getting too much illumination from the flash. Turn on more
    >lights in the room so less flash power is used. Lengthen the shutter
    >time if you can. If all that fails, take the camera back.

    Is your washed-our subject away from the centre of the frame? Is it
    slightly out of focus? It is possible that your camera 'thinks' the
    subject is further away than it really is (ie focussing on a background
    subject), and so providing more flash illumination to reach it.

    Try some tests with the faces smack in the middle of the frame and see
    if you still have the same problem. If you don't have the problem, then
    you need to either:
    - ensure that your nearest subject is in the middle of the frame, or
    - if that doesn't suit your composition, put the nearest subject in the
    middle of the frame, HALF press the shutter to lock focus and flash
    power, then re-frame (while still holding the shutter button half way)
    to suit your composition, and fully depress the shutter.

    If you still have the problem, you may have a faulty camera.
    --
    Alan F Cross BSc LRPS: Heathfield Studios - Digital Photography, Web Design
    'Heathfield', Heathlands Road, Wokingham, Berkshire, RG40 3AR, UK.

    Alan F Cross, Apr 14, 2004
  4. Chris

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > i have just bought a packard bell dsc 400 digital camera. i am
    > pleased with it but i have noticed that some indoor shots are coming
    > out with peoples faces just white! ie washed out.
    >
    > What is the best way of preventing this??
    >
    > Thanks for all your help
    >
    > Chris

    Check to see if all the problem subjects are wearing dark clothing. If so
    the camera is metering for the dark area and blowing out the face. If this
    is the case you may have to change the way the camera meters. If this can't
    be done try setting the exposure for the face then reposition the camera.
    --
    "Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe
    this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke

    Bob Hatch, Apr 14, 2004
  5. Chris

    nonamegiven Guest

    "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message news:<c5jj89$2db6h$-berlin.de>...
    > "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > i have just bought a packard bell dsc 400 digital camera. i am
    > > pleased with it but i have noticed that some indoor shots are coming
    > > out with peoples faces just white! ie washed out.
    > >
    > > What is the best way of preventing this??
    > >
    > > Thanks for all your help
    > >
    > > Chris

    > Check to see if all the problem subjects are wearing dark clothing. If so
    > the camera is metering for the dark area and blowing out the face. If this
    > is the case you may have to change the way the camera meters. If this can't
    > be done try setting the exposure for the face then reposition the camera.

    Ah, the benefits of using digital cameras with a flash. Film, set the
    dial on the camera to flash sync, set the 285 to the red setting ( 5.6
    5 - 30 feet) set the camera to 5.6 (200 speed film) and start
    shooting.

    nonamegiven, Apr 14, 2004
  6. Chris

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "nonamegiven" <> wrote in message
    > "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    >> "Chris" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all
    >>>
    >>> i have just bought a packard bell dsc 400 digital camera. i am
    >>> pleased with it but i have noticed that some indoor shots are coming
    >>> out with peoples faces just white! ie washed out.
    >>>
    >>> What is the best way of preventing this??
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for all your help
    >>>
    >>> Chris

    >> Check to see if all the problem subjects are wearing dark clothing.
    >> If so the camera is metering for the dark area and blowing out the
    >> face. If this is the case you may have to change the way the camera
    >> meters. If this can't be done try setting the exposure for the face
    >> then reposition the camera.

    > Ah, the benefits of using digital cameras with a flash. Film, set the
    > dial on the camera to flash sync, set the 285 to the red setting ( 5.6
    > 5 - 30 feet) set the camera to 5.6 (200 speed film) and start
    > shooting.

    That can be done as well, if the digital camera has the features to allow
    it. If the camera is set to any of the auto functions, film or digital, the
    exposures may, and probably will be wrong.

    Bob Hatch, Apr 15, 2004