    ways to address the problem?

    Thanks Group

    Jimmy
    Jimmy Smith, Jun 16, 2004

  2. "Jimmy Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:IMMzc.4944$...
    > What might cause a shot to have washed out details and what would be some
    > ways to address the problem?
    >
    > Thanks Group
    >
    > Jimmy

    Often, it is overexposure. If not too overexposed, you can adjust it with a
    good image editing program.
    Marvin Margoshes, Jun 16, 2004

  3. Jimmy Smith

    Jeff Durham Guest

    It is usually due to overexposure. I assume you are using that new Canon
    10D. I am just learning about my new Rebel. What mode were you in when you
    took that picture? Did you look at the histogram of the image? I don't
    know the details of the 10D, but I am assume they are similar and more than
    the Rebel. If you were in an automatic point and shoot mode, you should
    make sure the focusing is happening on the main subject which is where I
    believe the auto-exposure setting will be derived.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Jun 16, 2004
  4. Jimmy Smith

    Jimmy Smith Guest

    "Jeff Durham" <> wrote in message
    > It is usually due to overexposure. I assume you are using that new Canon
    > 10D. I am just learning about my new Rebel. What mode were you in when

    you
    > took that picture? Did you look at the histogram of the image? I don't
    > know the details of the 10D, but I am assume they are similar and more

    than
    > the Rebel. If you were in an automatic point and shoot mode, you should
    > make sure the focusing is happening on the main subject which is where I
    > believe the auto-exposure setting will be derived.

    Hi Jeff,

    I was shooting in full auto exposure. I am still using the 7 point focus.
    I noticed numerous posters said they no longer use 7 point as "7 point."
    Maybe I should change how the camera sees.

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Jun 16, 2004
  5. Jimmy Smith

    Jeff Durham Guest

    What I did with my Rebel in automatic mode was to make sure that my subject
    was the one with the red dot lit. As I continue to hold the shutter button
    down halfway, I then move my camera to "recompose" the image the way that I
    want. This way (I think), the focus and exposure level are set based upon
    my main subject.

    Eventually, I will probably get in the habit of using the creative modes
    where I have more control over the settings and just go to a single point
    for focus. The seven point can have its advantages for a fast moving image
    and continuous shooting.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Jun 17, 2004
  6. I have found that the washed out details are due to improper aperature
    setting when using the Green/Full Auto mode. The human eye and brain
    compensate for high contrast between subject, foreground, and background.
    Almost all digital cameras use "evaluative" light metering, even when you
    choose spot.

    1. Switch to the P or AV mode and rotate that dial to close the aperature.
    Pay attention to the exposure meter in the viewfinder. It may indicate that
    you are taking an underexposed picture--just remember that this is a
    computer looking at all the light in general and not your subject matter.
    2. Take the shot and review. Love that financially impact-free digital
    photography.

    There are multiple ways to achieve your shot with consideration of ISO (200
    for stationary objects outdoors on bright days), aperature, and shutter
    speed. Set up a vase, teddy bear, shoe, something in the backyard on a
    table. grab your tripod, and shoot 20 pictures of it. Start at the smallest
    setting for the aperature and then for each successive picture change the
    f-stop 1 step larger until you've taken the entire range. Review it on
    camera or download it to your computer and pay attention to the level of
    detail and the aperature settings. There should be a range of them that
    have clear detail. Keep that range in mind for the next time that you have
    similar conditions.

    Since you have a digital camera you should be taking pictures of EVERYTHING
    to perfect your technique/art. Eventually you will find yourself always in
    one of the creative control modes P, AV, TV, or M. M is the BEST mode.

    And, like the other reply said, set the auto-focus point to your choosing.
    I prefer to use the center point for focus, then recompose.

    Fred T. Mahusay, Jun 23, 2004