    was then given a proper earthly burial.

    If you have History channel access, by all means, check the listings for
    air times and watch it. If it's a hoax, it's a damn good one.

    richard, Feb 28, 2010

  2. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    > The History channel is now airing an item that may give some credence to a
    > story that will put Roswell as just another UFO incident.

    I think you mean "weather balloon" incident that morphed into a
    legend 20 years later.

    > It would appear that numerous residents of Texas, in 1897, witnessed a
    > cigar shaped UFO flying over head. Not just in Texas, but in several other
    > states as well.
    >
    > The craft eventually crash landed in Aurora, Texas. Striking a windmill on
    > a farm owned by a Judge Procter. The crash caused the craft to explode and
    > split into thousands of pieces with a single, unearthly, body inside it.
    > One person who had seen the body, claimed it to be a "martian". The body
    > was then given a proper earthly burial.

    The "martian" was probably the remains of the goat, two pigs and
    four chickens that the meterorite struck after it destroyed the
    windmill.

    > If you have History channel access, by all means, check the listings for
    > air times and watch it. If it's a hoax, it's a damn good one.

    It is a myth and a damned typical one.

    Mike "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" Yetto
    --
    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate.
    - William of Ockham

    Mike Yetto, Feb 28, 2010

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:55:03 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

    > richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >> The History channel is now airing an item that may give some credence to a
    >> story that will put Roswell as just another UFO incident.
    >>

    > I think you mean "weather balloon" incident that morphed into a
    > legend 20 years later.
    >
    >> It would appear that numerous residents of Texas, in 1897, witnessed a
    >> cigar shaped UFO flying over head. Not just in Texas, but in several other
    >> states as well.
    >>
    >> The craft eventually crash landed in Aurora, Texas. Striking a windmill on
    >> a farm owned by a Judge Procter. The crash caused the craft to explode and
    >> split into thousands of pieces with a single, unearthly, body inside it.
    >> One person who had seen the body, claimed it to be a "martian". The body
    >> was then given a proper earthly burial.
    >>

    > The "martian" was probably the remains of the goat, two pigs and
    > four chickens that the meterorite struck after it destroyed the
    > windmill.
    >
    >> If you have History channel access, by all means, check the listings for
    >> air times and watch it. If it's a hoax, it's a damn good one.

    > It is a myth and a damned typical one.
    >
    > Mike "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" Yetto

    Consider the facts. In 1897 there were no flying aircraft other than hot
    air balloons. The words, "cigar shaped", described a vehicle other than hot
    air balloons. The craft had been reported seen throughout Texas and
    numerous other states. In the daylight.

    Hot air ballons also could not be controlled other than by air currents.
    They did not leave trails of smoke behind them. They were generally not
    made of metal.

    Myth? Perhaps. But then we also have Kecksburg. Now that, is a myth in my
    opinion.

    richard, Feb 28, 2010
  4. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    > On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:55:03 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:
    >
    >> richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>> The History channel is now airing an item that may give some credence to a
    >>> story that will put Roswell as just another UFO incident.
    >>>

    >> I think you mean "weather balloon" incident that morphed into a
    >> legend 20 years later.
    >>
    >>> It would appear that numerous residents of Texas, in 1897, witnessed a
    >>> cigar shaped UFO flying over head. Not just in Texas, but in several other
    >>> states as well.
    >>>
    >>> The craft eventually crash landed in Aurora, Texas. Striking a windmill on
    >>> a farm owned by a Judge Procter. The crash caused the craft to explode and
    >>> split into thousands of pieces with a single, unearthly, body inside it.
    >>> One person who had seen the body, claimed it to be a "martian". The body
    >>> was then given a proper earthly burial.
    >>>

    >> The "martian" was probably the remains of the goat, two pigs and
    >> four chickens that the meterorite struck after it destroyed the
    >> windmill.
    >>
    >>> If you have History channel access, by all means, check the listings for
    >>> air times and watch it. If it's a hoax, it's a damn good one.

    >> It is a myth and a damned typical one.
    >>
    >> Mike "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" Yetto

    > Consider the facts. In 1897 there were no flying aircraft other than hot
    > air balloons. The words, "cigar shaped", described a vehicle other than hot
    > air balloons. The craft had been reported seen throughout Texas and
    > numerous other states. In the daylight.

    Why would you think such unsubstantiated claims are more
    believable than current ones? Does age add a patina of
    verisimilitude (truthiness to you)?

    > Hot air ballons also could not be controlled other than by air currents.
    > They did not leave trails of smoke behind them. They were generally not
    > made of metal.

    Dirigibles had been around for over 100 years at that point and
    can accurately be described as cigar shaped.

    > Myth? Perhaps. But then we also have Kecksburg. Now that, is a myth in my
    > opinion.

    You, yourself, are reaching mythic porportions.

    Mike "critical thinking, try it sometime" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Feb 28, 2010
  5. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:55:03 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:
    >
    >> richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>> The History channel is now airing an item that may give some
    >>> credence to a story that will put Roswell as just another UFO
    >>> incident.

    > Consider the facts. In 1897 there were no flying aircraft other than
    > hot air balloons. The words, "cigar shaped", described a vehicle other
    > than hot air balloons. The craft had been reported seen throughout
    > Texas and numerous other states. In the daylight.

    And at that time what are *now* called ufo's were thought by the
    observers to be balloons.

    > Hot air ballons also could not be controlled other than by air
    > currents. They did not leave trails of smoke behind them. They were
    > generally not made of metal.

    They sure as hell did leave smoke. How do you think they heated the air?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 1, 2010
  6. On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:55:03 -0500, Mike Yetto <> wrote:
    > richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >> The History channel is now airing an item that may give some credence to a
    >> story that will put Roswell as just another UFO incident.
    >>

    > I think you mean "weather balloon" incident that morphed into a
    > legend 20 years later.
    >
    >> It would appear that numerous residents of Texas, in 1897, witnessed a
    >> cigar shaped UFO flying over head. Not just in Texas, but in several other
    >> states as well.
    >>
    >> The craft eventually crash landed in Aurora, Texas. Striking a windmill on
    >> a farm owned by a Judge Procter. The crash caused the craft to explode and
    >> split into thousands of pieces with a single, unearthly, body inside it.
    >> One person who had seen the body, claimed it to be a "martian". The body
    >> was then given a proper earthly burial.
    >>

    > The "martian" was probably the remains of the goat, two pigs and
    > four chickens that the meterorite struck after it destroyed the
    > windmill.
    >
    >> If you have History channel access, by all means, check the listings for
    >> air times and watch it. If it's a hoax, it's a damn good one.

    > It is a myth and a damned typical one.
    >
    > Mike "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" Yetto

    Pretty likely...Aurora's not all that far away from Fort Worth, in Wise
    County, about 45 miles towards Wichita Falls, and in all the time I've spent
    in Tarrant County, I haven't heard of that. Why didn't anyone notice such
    an alleged craft in transit between Aurora and Roswell, 500-odd miles to the
    west?

    --
    Patrick L. "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey () Houston, Texas
    www.io.com/~patrick/aeros.php (TCI's 2009-10 Houston Aeros) AA#2273

    The Chief Instigator, Mar 1, 2010
  7. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 28/02/2010 18:22, richard wrote:
    > The History channel is now airing an item that may give some credence to a
    > story that will put Roswell as just another UFO incident.
    >
    > It would appear that numerous residents of Texas, in 1897, witnessed a
    > cigar shaped UFO flying over head. Not just in Texas, but in several other
    > states as well.
    >
    > The craft eventually crash landed in Aurora, Texas. Striking a windmill on
    > a farm owned by a Judge Procter. The crash caused the craft to explode and
    > split into thousands of pieces with a single, unearthly, body inside it.
    > One person who had seen the body, claimed it to be a "martian". The body
    > was then given a proper earthly burial.

    Split into thousands of pieces yet a body survived in good enough shape
    to be recognisable as not human??????

    And this witness had seen enough real live Martians to recognise a dead
    one from several parts spread over a wide area? Hmmmmmm.....

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 1, 2010