  1. 24 of 26 PCs already run Linux, looking at moving the other 2 off Windows as
    well
    <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/CACFF37F34DAE410CC2574E00029A68F>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Mike Dee Guest

    OZZY Boy <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:52:51 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>24 of 26 PCs already run Linux, looking at moving the other 2 off
    >>Windows as well
    >><http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/CACFF37F34DAE410CC2574E00
    >>029A68F>.

    > They must be Brain Dead..

    How about; They're trying to rationalise their spending on tech and
    IT...

    <Quote>
    “We are saving the government money,” says Parker. “We are saving them
    13 [Microsoft] licences this year, and hopefully we will be down to
    zero next year.”

    Parker says he would use the money to employ a local technician and
    further develop the Linux environment.

    “It seems that schools are being pushed into using certain IT
    equipment,” says Parker. “But maybe we don’t need it. Maybe it is the
    industry pushing [equipment and software] onto schools rather than
    schools seeing the need for it.”
    <\Quote>

    If you'd been awake over the past 2 or 3 weeks you'd probably see that
    as a good move.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Oct 14, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    > OZZY Boy <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:52:51 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>>24 of 26 PCs already run Linux, looking at moving the other 2 off
    >>>Windows as well
    >>><http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/CACFF37F34DAE410CC2574E00
    >>>029A68F>.

    >> They must be Brain Dead..

    > How about; They're trying to rationalise their spending on tech and
    > IT...
    >
    > <Quote>
    > "We are saving the government money," says Parker. "We are saving them
    > 13 [Microsoft] licences this year, and hopefully we will be down to
    > zero next year."
    >
    > Parker says he would use the money to employ a local technician and
    > further develop the Linux environment.
    >
    > "It seems that schools are being pushed into using certain IT
    > equipment," says Parker. "But maybe we don't need it. Maybe it is the
    > industry pushing [equipment and software] onto schools rather than
    > schools seeing the need for it."
    > <\Quote>
    >
    > If you'd been awake over the past 2 or 3 weeks you'd probably see that
    > as a good move.

    Yes, no sense training students to use the software that business uses.
    Nothing but the cheapest for our youth! <shakes head>
    impossible, Oct 17, 2008