Warning???

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by johnn, Jun 25, 2009.

  1. johnn

    johnn Guest

    I googled "Mozilla Firefox".
    The first listing was "Firefox - free download "
    http://www.2009-now.info/firefox.html
    The page is headed:
    "Safer, More Secure - download Firefox."
    When I click on "Download Now - The latest version plus Bonus Pack",
    my AVG program warns me:
    "Danger: AVG Search-Shield has detected active threats on this page
    and has blocked access for your protection."

    Is there a problem here?

    Thanks!

    _________________________
    John
    _________________________

    "God is dead"
    -- Nietzsche (1844-1900)
    "Nietzsche is dead"
    -- God

    johnn, Jun 25, 2009

  2. johnn

    Ken Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:53:23 -0400, johnn <> wrote:

    > I googled "Mozilla Firefox".
    > The first listing was "Firefox - free download "
    > http://www.2009-now.info/firefox.html
    > The page is headed:
    > "Safer, More Secure - download Firefox."
    > When I click on "Download Now - The latest version plus Bonus Pack",
    > my AVG program warns me:
    > "Danger: AVG Search-Shield has detected active threats on this page
    > and has blocked access for your protection."
    >
    > Is there a problem here?

    Use this
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

    Ken, Jun 25, 2009

  3. johnn

    Jim Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:53:23 -0400, johnn <> wrote:
    >
    >> I googled "Mozilla Firefox".
    >> The first listing was "Firefox - free download "
    >> http://www.2009-now.info/firefox.html
    >> The page is headed:
    >> "Safer, More Secure - download Firefox."
    >> When I click on "Download Now - The latest version plus Bonus Pack",
    >> my AVG program warns me:
    >> "Danger: AVG Search-Shield has detected active threats on this page
    >> and has blocked access for your protection."
    >>
    >> Is there a problem here?

    It looks to me that this site is including a some extra features in the
    best Micro$oft tradition. Go to the Mozilla site directly.

    Jim, Jun 25, 2009
  4. johnn

    johnn Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:30:41 -0400, Ed Mullen
    <>informed me that

    >johnn wrote:
    >> I googled "Mozilla Firefox".
    >> The first listing was "Firefox - free download "
    >> http://www.2009-now.info/firefox.html
    >> The page is headed:
    >> "Safer, More Secure - download Firefox."
    >> When I click on "Download Now - The latest version plus Bonus Pack",
    >> my AVG program warns me:
    >> "Danger: AVG Search-Shield has detected active threats on this page
    >> and has blocked access for your protection."
    >>
    >> Is there a problem here?

    >Why would you download a program from other than its source Web site?
    >You're just asking for trouble.
    >
    >http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

    Actually, I wouldn't and I didn't.
    I was just curious if that other site could be a means of fooling an
    unwary person into some nasty situation, and was only asking the
    question to see if anyone knew.
    That's all, f-f-f-folks!

    Thanks to all who replied!

    _________________________
    John
    _________________________

    "God is dead"
    -- Nietzsche (1844-1900)
    "Nietzsche is dead"
    -- God

    johnn, Jun 26, 2009
  5. johnn

    johnn Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:04:29 -0400, Ed Mullen
    <>informed me that

    >>> Why would you download a program from other than its source Web site?
    >>> You're just asking for trouble.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

    >> Actually, I wouldn't and I didn't.
    >> I was just curious if that other site could be a means of fooling an
    >> unwary person into some nasty situation, and was only asking the
    >> question to see if anyone knew.
    >> That's all, f-f-f-folks!

    >So, why didn't you just ask your real question in your first post?
    >Woulda saved us some time and energy.

    Sorry, Ed - I thought I did when I asked " Is there a problem here?"
    I guess my English isn't university-level.
    (AAMOF, I did not speak English for the first twenty years of my life,
    other than what little I learned in high school across the pond, but
    that's no excuse . . . )

    Thanks for putting me straight.

    _________________________
    John
    _________________________

    "God is dead"
    -- Nietzsche (1844-1900)
    "Nietzsche is dead"
    -- God

    johnn, Jun 26, 2009
  6. johnn

    johnn Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:08:05 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <>informed me that

    >Perhaps you should scan your system for malware and
    >other things. Besure to use more than one program to
    >do this. Some of the recommended ones are:
    >http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and
    >http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Thanks, Peter - I downloaded and did scans with these programs, as
    well as the other ones I regularly use.
    None indicated any problems.

    >Further, never download programs from other sites
    >unless you know them. The link you provided is not
    >mozilla nor firefox and if you read the very bottom of
    >that page, then you'd see this:

    I agree - I wouldn't and I didn't.
    I was just curious if in fact there was a site openlyerating which
    would cause "baddies" on a person's computer.

    Thanks for your help!

    _________________________
    John
    _________________________

    "God is dead"
    -- Nietzsche (1844-1900)
    "Nietzsche is dead"
    -- God

    johnn, Jun 26, 2009
  7. johnn wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:08:05 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <>informed me that
    >

    >> Perhaps you should scan your system for malware and
    >> other things. Besure to use more than one program to
    >> do this. Some of the recommended ones are:
    >> http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and
    >> http://www.safer-networking.org/

    > Thanks, Peter - I downloaded and did scans with these programs, as
    > well as the other ones I regularly use.
    > None indicated any problems.
    >> Further, never download programs from other sites
    >> unless you know them. The link you provided is not
    >> mozilla nor firefox and if you read the very bottom of
    >> that page, then you'd see this:

    > I agree - I wouldn't and I didn't.
    > I was just curious if in fact there was a site openlyerating which
    > would cause "baddies" on a person's computer.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!

    there's a ton of those such sites, and they've really
    caused lots of problems with people. There was at one
    point, in another newsgroup, where we took days with
    someone trying to help them with their problem.

    Anyways, its a good idea to scan such files with
    atleast 3 programs. I downloaded a suspected program
    the other month. The three programs I used said it was
    clean. I waited for a couple of weeks before opening
    it and rescanned it. Again, clean. I installed it,
    and crap, it was infected. I found a 4th program that
    said there was a problem with it. I used well known
    scanners, and it was a no-name [not well known] scanner
    that said there was a problem.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 26, 2009