Warning - Use of Reduced Size MMC/SD

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Wright, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. David Wright

    David Wright Guest

    Reduced size MMC/SD memory cards are being sold as "compatible with all
    cameras".

    When I purchased one (RSMMC) and used it in my Minolta X21 I had a
    problem as the card proved very difficult to remove and at one point I
    began to think I might have to live with it permanently in place as
    128Mb of internal memory.

    The cause was the covering flap to the memory slot which opens inwards
    as you insert the card and then under spring pressure acts as a ratchet
    to engage with the very small (must be measured in thousandth's of an
    inch) discontinuity between the plastic card and metal adapter
    preventing withdrawal.

    The cure is to insert something thin and flexible into the card slot
    between the card and the flap - I used the end of a 35mm film retrieval
    tool but anything thin and stiff would probably do the job - holding the
    flap away from the card whilst pulling it free.

    This problem could affect any camera with a slot flap hinging inward
    particularly if the edge of the door is not rounded.

    --
    David Wright
    David Wright, Jan 23, 2005

  2. David Wright wrote:
    > Reduced size MMC/SD memory cards are being sold as "compatible with
    > all cameras".

    Thanks for the warning!

    For information - the thinner Kingmax Platinum SD cards (which have a fast
    read/write speed) are compatible with the Panasonic FZ20 - in case anyone
    is making a list....

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 23, 2005

  3. David Wright

    Ken Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote in message news:...
    > David Wright wrote:
    > > Reduced size MMC/SD memory cards are being sold as "compatible with
    > > all cameras".

    > Thanks for the warning!
    >
    > For information - the thinner Kingmax Platinum SD cards (which have a fast
    > read/write speed) are compatible with the Panasonic FZ20 - in case anyone
    > is making a list....

    Not making a list but had wondered about that. Thanks David.
    Ken, Jan 23, 2005
  4. David Wright

    Ron Hunter Guest

    David Wright wrote:
    > Reduced size MMC/SD memory cards are being sold as "compatible with all
    > cameras".
    >
    > When I purchased one (RSMMC) and used it in my Minolta X21 I had a
    > problem as the card proved very difficult to remove and at one point I
    > began to think I might have to live with it permanently in place as
    > 128Mb of internal memory.
    >
    > The cause was the covering flap to the memory slot which opens inwards
    > as you insert the card and then under spring pressure acts as a ratchet
    > to engage with the very small (must be measured in thousandth's of an
    > inch) discontinuity between the plastic card and metal adapter
    > preventing withdrawal.
    >
    > The cure is to insert something thin and flexible into the card slot
    > between the card and the flap - I used the end of a 35mm film retrieval
    > tool but anything thin and stiff would probably do the job - holding the
    > flap away from the card whilst pulling it free.
    >
    > This problem could affect any camera with a slot flap hinging inward
    > particularly if the edge of the door is not rounded.

    Some products just don't make sense, and this (reduced size mmd/sd
    cards). The SD card is already amost too small, and any reduction in
    the size will only make it easier to drop/lose. Small enough is small
    enough. If this keeps up we will need microscopes to change cards
    Ron Hunter, Jan 24, 2005