    Check your telecom bill!

    It was an Xtra charge. Get it? Ha, ha, ha.

    heffer
    Timothy Miller, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Timothy Miller

    will Guest

    > Over the last month or so, Xtra had a special on that included a free
    > connection (normally $99) and one free month. We took them up on that
    > offer, but when we checked our bill they charged us for the connection
    > fee ($99). We called them up and they fixed it right away. But I
    > would put money on the fact that they made the same 'mistake' for
    > others. Its not the first time we have had to correct a telecom bill.
    > Check your telecom bill!

    #### yeah it happened to me as well, but worse. the free connection cost
    $99, i rang up, and they said they would fix it, and the following month
    there was another charge of $99, total $198. luckily (can't believe i
    used this word!) it was fixed eventually.

    while we're on this, i also have similar mis-charges in supermarket,
    things that are on discount aren't discounted etc.

    i hope this is not a common practice as most busy people just don't
    check every line on the receipt, and there's always an easy "opps, must
    be the system error" excuse.

    will.
    will, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Timothy Miller

    SNOman Guest

    will wrote:
    >> Over the last month or so, Xtra had a special on that included a free
    >> connection (normally $99) and one free month. We took them up on that
    >> offer, but when we checked our bill they charged us for the connection
    >> fee ($99). We called them up and they fixed it right away. But I
    >> would put money on the fact that they made the same 'mistake' for
    >> others. Its not the first time we have had to correct a telecom bill.
    >> Check your telecom bill!

    > #### yeah it happened to me as well, but worse. the free connection
    > cost $99, i rang up, and they said they would fix it, and the following
    > month there was another charge of $99, total $198. luckily (can't
    > believe i used this word!) it was fixed eventually.
    >
    > while we're on this, i also have similar mis-charges in supermarket,
    > things that are on discount aren't discounted etc.
    >
    > i hope this is not a common practice as most busy people just don't
    > check every line on the receipt, and there's always an easy "opps, must
    > be the system error" excuse.
    >
    > will.

    Telecom charges suck.

    I cancelled my jetstream because I moved house and couldn't get the
    service where I moved to (bloody fibre). It took me 6 months to actually
    get the monthly jetstream connection charges to stop appearing on my bill.
    SNOman, Oct 18, 2004
  4. On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:53:50 +1300, will <> wrote:

    >i hope this is not a common practice as most busy people just don't
    >check every line on the receipt, and there's always an easy "opps, must
    >be the system error" excuse.

    I'm afraid that it's a very common practice on Telecom's part.

    When I signed up for DSL I installed the filters myself and they
    billed me for a full install -- I had to complain to get the charge
    reduced.

    What's more, they kept also charging me for my dial-up account even
    though I'd changed it to DSL -- that took two months to get sorted.

    In fact, I know of *nobody* who's not been mis-billed (either by
    accident or intentionally) by Telecom in respect to their DSL/internet
    services.

    I wonder how much they earn by virtue of the fact that many people
    simply pay the "amount due" figure without checking the intemised
    account?

    --
    Yes it's true, I really am crazy! Look what I'm doing now
    http://www.interestingprojects.com/jetspeed/

    Bruce Simpson, Oct 18, 2004
  5. Timothy Miller

    thing Guest

    Bruce Simpson wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:53:50 +1300, will <> wrote:
    >

    >>i hope this is not a common practice as most busy people just don't
    >>check every line on the receipt, and there's always an easy "opps, must
    >>be the system error" excuse.

    > I'm afraid that it's a very common practice on Telecom's part.
    >
    > When I signed up for DSL I installed the filters myself and they
    > billed me for a full install -- I had to complain to get the charge
    > reduced.
    >
    > What's more, they kept also charging me for my dial-up account even
    > though I'd changed it to DSL -- that took two months to get sorted.
    >
    > In fact, I know of *nobody* who's not been mis-billed (either by
    > accident or intentionally) by Telecom in respect to their DSL/internet
    > services.
    >
    > I wonder how much they earn by virtue of the fact that many people
    > simply pay the "amount due" figure without checking the intemised
    > account?
    >
    > --
    > Yes it's true, I really am crazy! Look what I'm doing now
    > http://www.interestingprojects.com/jetspeed/
    >
    > you can contact me via http://aardvark.co.nz/contact/

    When I left Telecom ADSL trial to go to Clear the month in advance for
    phone & ADSL was never credited back to me, even though I had asked for
    it. It took me three months to get a cheque, their excuse was "we
    thought we'd leave it in your old account in case you ever wanted other
    services off us". "We only write cheques once per month". etc etc.

    In a word Assholes....

    TelstraClear are as bad.

    When I first took cable I also had TV and a phone as well, as a "special
    package, I later cancelled the TV because it sucked. 9 months later they
    back billed me for the TV bit because the special had finished and they
    had "forgotten to put me back up to the normal rate", so my bill was
    huge, even though I had cancelled the TV bit before the special had
    finished, that resulted in a huge argument, with me also threatening the
    bank to take my account elsewhere because they would not cancel the
    direct debit (National Bank) to Clear because of the dispute. Clear
    stated they were going to bill me and credit me back once it was sorted,
    nuts to that. Then later I dropped my speed from 1 Meg to 512k as the
    performance just was not upto it, sure enough the speed dropped but the
    bill did not.

    Then I let my dad use my old flat rate dialup Clear account to see if he
    liked the Internet, when he did I got him his own and set my account
    from the flat rate to per hour. I double checked this before the roll
    over date to make sure it was set. And you guessed it Clear charged me
    again at flat rate, so I complained, they tried to claim I was too late,
    I told them I had done it on such and such a date and then checked some
    days before the roll over by ringing thier helpdesk to confirm, which
    thier helpdesk did....

    The next month was a zero bill, great I thought sorted. 2 months later I
    had a double bill because they had omitted to bill me from the month
    before, all this while also billing my father...and of course they
    wanted evidence in writing, kinda like the IRD without a bit of paper
    they will not believe you....

    So, I cannot really tell which is better......the NZ monopoly or the OZ
    one......

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Oct 19, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    Bruce Simpson <> wrote:

    >In fact, I know of *nobody* who's not been mis-billed (either by
    >accident or intentionally) by Telecom in respect to their DSL/internet
    >services.

    Well, I can't say I've been technically mis-billed over my ADSL, but I
    can't help feeling peeved that I paid $99 for the connection charge in
    my old place in August last year, then had to pay another full $99
    connection charge when I moved to this place in May.

    Before that, there was the episode where I found out that they'd been
    charging me for _two_ phone rentals when I only had one phone, for
    nearly 4 years. Luckily they were quick to admit that (once I'd
    contacted them in writing), and credit the overcharge against my
    subsequent phone bills.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 20, 2004