Warning Security message?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Anna, Jun 28, 2004.

  1. Anna

    Anna Guest

    Hi,

    Can anyone advise on the following:

    For the last few weeks each time I go to log into my account and reach the
    'locked' page a message comes up " 'Warning Security'. Do you want to accept
    the certificate from website 'secure-au.imrworldwide.com' for the purpose of
    exchanging encrypted information. Publisher authenticity verified by
    Verisign, Inc
    The security certificate was issued by a company that is not trusted
    This security certificate has not expired and is still valid
    Caution: 'secure_au.imrworldwide.com' asserts that this content is safe. You
    should only accept this if you trust 'secure_au.imrworldwide.com' "

    It won't let you say no but I can click on the X. I have avoided logging
    into secure sites until I understand what is happening.

    This also happens in other sites such as the bank. When searching the web I
    found a query from someone who had had a similar problem and was saying that
    it is the service that the provider uses for there own tracking system but
    he had also experienced a lack of knowledge when talking with them.
    The computer is also running slowly. Internet is taking much longer than
    previously. I have a 56k modem and it seems generally to be running between
    46 & 49bps. (Hope that makes sense - I'm not overly familiar with it all.)
    I have run the defrag very recently.
    I have been remiss in downloading Microsoft Updates. Have now downloaded 19
    critical updates including Explorer 6 Pack. Since then the box for logging
    onto the web comes up continually.
    There are also 43 updates for Windows 98 version 2. I haven't done that yet.
    Have had live update Norton virus scanning since the computer was new.
    Have deleted all temporary internet files. Two days ago I added McAffee
    Firewall and Ad-aware.
    Ad-aware found cookies such as anyuser@cgi_bin(2).txt and these have been
    quarantined. It seems that each time Outlook or the Internet is used these
    appear.
    Now AdWare found Backdoor Cabro HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Reg Value
    (comes up twice) and W32 MimailCC:\Windows|netwatch.exe.file
    Have looked these up through Norton so have some information about what they
    are and have instructions about what to do but it is too complicated for me
    to do.

    Questions
    Why doesn't Norton pick this up when I run a system scan?
    How did they get in?
    Should I download the 43 Windows 98 Updates.
    Do you have an explanation about the Security Warning that comes up on
    supposedly safe locked pages?
    Are the cookies likely to be a problem?
    Why would the log on box appear so constantly?
    We have a phone set up that shows calls in. Why are there several calls in
    (clearly linked to the web) when we are on the internet?

    Apologies for the long winded query and for taking up your time.

    Thanks,

    Anna

    Anna, Jun 28, 2004

  2. Anna

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:40:41 +0100, in
    <cbphmp$jp8$1$>
    Anna scrawled:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Can anyone advise on the following:
    >
    >For the last few weeks each time I go to log into my account and reach the
    >'locked' page a message comes up " 'Warning Security'. Do you want to accept
    >the certificate from website 'secure-au.imrworldwide.com' for the purpose of
    >exchanging encrypted information. Publisher authenticity verified by
    >Verisign, Inc
    >The security certificate was issued by a company that is not trusted
    >This security certificate has not expired and is still valid
    >Caution: 'secure_au.imrworldwide.com' asserts that this content is safe. You
    >should only accept this if you trust 'secure_au.imrworldwide.com' "
    >
    >It won't let you say no but I can click on the X. I have avoided logging
    >into secure sites until I understand what is happening.
    >
    >This also happens in other sites such as the bank. When searching the web I
    >found a query from someone who had had a similar problem and was saying that
    >it is the service that the provider uses for there own tracking system but
    >he had also experienced a lack of knowledge when talking with them.
    >The computer is also running slowly. Internet is taking much longer than
    >previously. I have a 56k modem and it seems generally to be running between
    >46 & 49bps. (Hope that makes sense - I'm not overly familiar with it all.)
    >I have run the defrag very recently.
    >I have been remiss in downloading Microsoft Updates. Have now downloaded 19
    >critical updates including Explorer 6 Pack. Since then the box for logging
    >onto the web comes up continually.
    >There are also 43 updates for Windows 98 version 2. I haven't done that yet.

    Make sure that you have all of the critical updates
    for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx

    >Have had live update Norton virus scanning since the computer was new.
    >Have deleted all temporary internet files. Two days ago I added McAffee
    >Firewall and Ad-aware.
    >Ad-aware found cookies such as anyuser@cgi_bin(2).txt and these have been
    >quarantined. It seems that each time Outlook or the Internet is used these
    >appear.
    >Now AdWare found Backdoor Cabro HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Reg Value
    >(comes up twice) and W32 MimailCC:\Windows|netwatch.exe.file
    >Have looked these up through Norton so have some information about what they
    >are and have instructions about what to do but it is too complicated for me
    >to do.

    Then get somebody else to clean your system for you.

    >Questions
    >Why doesn't Norton pick this up when I run a system scan?

    Because you're infected.

    >How did they get in?

    You let them in.

    Safe Hex
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Safe Computing Guide
    http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/vinfo/safe_computing/
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/security/general/guide/overview.htm

    Protect your PC
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/directory/worldwide/en-gb/protect.asp

    Safe Computing Practice
    http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/safe2000.htm

    Safe Computing Practices (Safe Hex)
    http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtsafecompute.htm

    >Should I download the 43 Windows 98 Updates.

    Yes, especially critical updates.

    >Do you have an explanation about the Security Warning that comes up on
    >supposedly safe locked pages?

    Your browser isn't recognising the certificates. Install
    the updates, as mentioned above.

    >Are the cookies likely to be a problem?

    Cookies are not harmful, but can track your browsing
    habits.

    >Why would the log on box appear so constantly?

    I must have overlooked where you mentioned that.

    >We have a phone set up that shows calls in. Why are there several calls in
    >(clearly linked to the web) when we are on the internet?

    I must have overlooked that one, too.

    >Apologies for the long winded query and for taking up your time.

    It is far better, when you have separate questions, to ask
    each question in a separate thread.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 28, 2004

  3. Anna

    Anna Guest

    Thank you very much for that °Mike°
    Very kind and patient of you to wade through my panicky ramblings.
    I really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to answer.
    Again thank you and kind regards,

    Anna

    Anna, Jun 28, 2004
  4. Anna