WARNING - SD cards being shipped as MMC cards

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Test User, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Test User

    Test User Guest

    Hi all,

    Just purchased a Lexar 256MB SD card, the packaging says SD with the logo
    and all.
    The card label says SD, the machine type writing on the back says Secure
    Digital.

    But when I do card info it says Multimedia card.

    Some Pictures:
    http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set13_01.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set13_02.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set213_01.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set214_01.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set214_03.jpg

    Will post my reaction later on.

    TU

    Test User, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Test User

    Drifter Guest

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Just purchased a Lexar 256MB SD card, the packaging says SD with the logo
    >and all.
    >The card label says SD, the machine type writing on the back says Secure
    >Digital.
    >
    >But when I do card info it says Multimedia card.
    >
    >Some Pictures:
    >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set13_01.jpg
    >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set13_02.jpg
    >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set213_01.jpg
    >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set214_01.jpg
    >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set214_03.jpg
    >

    >Will post my reaction later on.
    >
    >TU

    9 pins=SD
    7 pins=MMC
    It's just that simple.

    also some information here
    http://www.open-mag.com/features/Vol_17/storage_standards/storage_standards.htm

    Drifter, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Test User

    > Guest

    If it says "SD" card on the packaging, and it says "SD" on the card, and it
    operates to the capacity of the card, then why does it matter what it says
    when you do card info ?

    Is that a picture of a phone screen ? If it is, then it's more of a problem
    with your phone than the card.

    I wouldn't loose sleep over this one personally.

    --
    Tony

    ISH

    Remove the fish to reply
    --= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    "Test User" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just purchased a Lexar 256MB SD card, the packaging says SD with the logo
    > and all.
    > The card label says SD, the machine type writing on the back says Secure
    > Digital.
    >
    > But when I do card info it says Multimedia card.
    >
    > Some Pictures:
    > http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set13_01.jpg
    > http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set13_02.jpg
    > http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set213_01.jpg
    > http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set214_01.jpg
    > http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set214_03.jpg
    >

    > Will post my reaction later on.
    >
    > TU
    >

    >, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Test User

    Test User Guest

    "Drifter" <> wrote in message
    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >Just purchased a Lexar 256MB SD card, the packaging says SD with the logo
    > >and all.
    > >The card label says SD, the machine type writing on the back says Secure
    > >Digital.
    > >
    > >But when I do card info it says Multimedia card.
    > >
    > >Some Pictures:
    > >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set13_01.jpg
    > >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set13_02.jpg
    > >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set213_01.jpg
    > >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set214_01.jpg
    > >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set214_03.jpg
    > >

    > >Will post my reaction later on.
    > >
    > >TU
    > >

    > 9 pins=SD
    > 7 pins=MMC
    > It's just that simple.
    >
    > also some information here

    http://www.open-mag.com/features/Vol_17/storage_standards/storage_standards.htm

    Hi,

    When you say "pins" do you mean the bronze colored contacts on the back of
    the card?

    Because looking at my SD card I see 9 contacts there as well.

    Test User, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Test User

    Test User Guest

    "Drifter" <> wrote in message
    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >Just purchased a Lexar 256MB SD card, the packaging says SD with the logo
    > >and all.
    > >The card label says SD, the machine type writing on the back says Secure
    > >Digital.
    > >
    > >But when I do card info it says Multimedia card.
    > >
    > >Some Pictures:
    > >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set13_01.jpg
    > >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set13_02.jpg
    > >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set213_01.jpg
    > >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set214_01.jpg
    > >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/sdcard/Set214_03.jpg
    > >

    > >Will post my reaction later on.
    > >
    > >TU
    > >

    > 9 pins=SD
    > 7 pins=MMC
    > It's just that simple.
    >
    > also some information here

    http://www.open-mag.com/features/Vol_17/storage_standards/storage_standards.htm

    Good news, J&R spoke to their vendor and has confirmed that there is a
    problem with 256MB Lexar SD cards.

    To make up for my grief, they will give me a high speed card for the same
    price.

    Anyone that has purchased an SD card from J&R or anyone recently should have
    it checked out to make sure it really is an SD card.
    Find someone that has a palm with an SD card and ask them to go into system
    properties and view card info.

    Drifter has pointed out above that SD had 9 pins and MMC has 7 pins, not
    really sure how to interpret that because the bronze contacts behind the
    both cards had 9 contacts.

    Kudos to J&R for stepping up to the plate and fixing this for me.

    TU

    Test User, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Test User

    Sockmonkey Guest

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just purchased a Lexar 256MB SD card, the packaging says SD with the logo
    > and all.
    > The card label says SD, the machine type writing on the back says Secure
    > Digital.
    >
    > But when I do card info it says Multimedia card.

    What you took a picture of is a SD card. You can tell the difference be
    looking at the bottom. See this image for a comparison:

    http://rabien.com/img/compare.png

    Sockmonkey, Dec 5, 2003