Warning over fake Windows update

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Old Gringo, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Old Gringo, Apr 8, 2005

  2. Old Gringo

    Joel Rubin Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:39:10 GMT, Old Gringo
    <> wrote:

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4425165.stm

    I posted something like this in this n.g. on March 6.

    There was an email telling me to download the beta of an antivirus
    progie from

    http://microsoft-download.pisem.net/[snip]

    I assume these guys using something m$-looking domain like (fictional)
    microsoft-updates.freeserver.pl.

    By the way, last night and this morning, GMT-4 (U.S./Canada "Eastern
    Daylight Time"), I got spams apparently from Brasiltelecom.net.br (in
    Portuguese) inviting me to download executables on aol.co.uk.

    The first one was identified by Kaspersky.com's online scanner as

    Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Dadobra.a

    and the second one was killed by NAV on my computer as

    PWSteal.Banpages

    Joel Rubin, Apr 8, 2005

  3. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Joel Rubin wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:39:10 GMT, Old Gringo
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4425165.stm

    > I posted something like this in this n.g. on March 6.
    >
    > There was an email telling me to download the beta of an antivirus
    > progie from
    >
    > http://microsoft-download.pisem.net/[snip]
    >
    > I assume these guys using something m$-looking domain like (fictional)
    > microsoft-updates.freeserver.pl.
    >
    > By the way, last night and this morning, GMT-4 (U.S./Canada "Eastern
    > Daylight Time"), I got spams apparently from Brasiltelecom.net.br (in
    > Portuguese) inviting me to download executables on aol.co.uk.
    >
    > The first one was identified by Kaspersky.com's online scanner as
    >
    > Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Dadobra.a
    >
    > and the second one was killed by NAV on my computer as
    >
    > PWSteal.Banpages

    I open only emails that I recognize the sender. My ISP does a fine
    job of filtering out Virus, Junk and Spam. There are those who open
    everything they get and then wonder why they have so many problems
    with their computer.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Apr 8, 2005
  4. Old Gringo

    neville Guest

    Thats right, if you dont know who it is then dont answer the door.

    neville, Apr 8, 2005
  5. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    neville wrote:
    > Thats right, if you dont know who it is then dont answer the door.
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Joel Rubin wrote:

    >>>I posted something like this in this n.g. on March 6.
    >>>
    >>>There was an email telling me to download the beta of an antivirus
    >>>progie from
    >>>
    >>>http://microsoft-download.pisem.net/[snip]
    >>>
    >>>I assume these guys using something m$-looking domain like (fictional)
    >>>microsoft-updates.freeserver.pl.
    >>>
    >>>By the way, last night and this morning, GMT-4 (U.S./Canada "Eastern
    >>>Daylight Time"), I got spams apparently from Brasiltelecom.net.br (in
    >>>Portuguese) inviting me to download executables on aol.co.uk.
    >>>
    >>>The first one was identified by Kaspersky.com's online scanner as
    >>>
    >>>Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Dadobra.a
    >>>
    >>>and the second one was killed by NAV on my computer as
    >>>
    >>>PWSteal.Banpages
    >>>

    >>I open only emails that I recognize the sender. My ISP does a fine job of
    >>filtering out Virus, Junk and Spam. There are those who open everything
    >>they get and then wonder why they have so many problems with their
    >>computer.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Old Gringo George
    >>Magic Weaver Of Life
    >>Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-industries.com/>

    Amen to that :)

    Old Gringo, Apr 8, 2005
  6. Old Gringo

    PuppyKatt Guest

    This is a major reason to have the Auto Update activated. The stuff will
    appear from Microsoft, but on the area by the clock.

    PuppyKatt, Apr 8, 2005
  7. Old Gringo

    123 Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:

    > I open only emails that I recognize the sender

    Well that's intelligent, isn't it? Never had your sister accidentally
    send you a virus before? Luckily my av app caught it. Don't trust ANY
    attachments, no matter whom they're from! Always scan them first.

    123, Apr 8, 2005
  8. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    PuppyKatt wrote:
    > This is a major reason to have the Auto Update activated. The stuff will
    > appear from Microsoft, but on the area by the clock.
    >
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message

    I am using Win98se, not much action on auto update anymore. But you
    are right couldn't agree more.

    Old Gringo, Apr 8, 2005
  9. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    123 wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >

    >>I open only emails that I recognize the sender

    > Well that's intelligent, isn't it? Never had your sister accidentally
    > send you a virus before? Luckily my av app caught it. Don't trust ANY
    > attachments, no matter whom they're from! Always scan them first.

    No, as I said before, my ISP screens all email for virus, spam, and
    junk. Sister died in 1984 not to worry.

    Old Gringo, Apr 9, 2005
  10. Old Gringo

    Barney Guest

    "123" <789> had writtennews::

    > Don't trust ANY attachments, no matter whom they're from!
    > Always scan them first.

    Thats for certain. As you can see I use despamed.com. I use it only
    on the NGs. Mail to that address forwards to my real address. On
    occassion I get notification that mail I sent from that address, was
    refused by the recipient's IP. I NEVER send mail from the address
    nor know the recipient. Someone is using our address's on these News
    Groups to send a virus. At least using our address as the sender.

    --
    Wisdom from the sleeping dogs!

    Barney, Apr 9, 2005
  11. Old Gringo